IGNORED

2012 Most IDM Tournament - Quarter Finals!

Root5

Vote for 1 in each category  

121 members have voted

1. 1. 1

• Infinity
    • Being socially awkward and uncomfortable
  2. 2. 2

• Slime molds
    • Terraforming planets
  3. 3. 3

• Factories at night
    • www.gaarg.tumblr.com
  4. 4. 4

• Quantum foam
    • Incomplete skyscrapers

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest theSun

I remember when I used to win over factories at night...

irl lol, sung to the tune of "i wear my sunglasses at night"

terraforming doesnt even exist! Its just a concept. Slime molds have been keeping it real for millions of years...

Yea, my thoughts exactly. I hadn't even seen that music thing before! I can't believe slime molds are losing.

Slime Molds vs. Gaarg is what I'm rooting for. Bummed that bioluminescent trees didn't make the cut.

SLIME MOLDS

Edit: That NY Times article was amazing. Each paragraph blew my mind.

Here's another cool slime mold video. It's short but it explains and displays some of things mentioned in the NY times article.

http://www.princeton...ion=mm-featured

And a quote from this article: http://discovermagaz...om/2009/jan/071

Toshiyuki Nakagaki of Hokkaido University and colleagues manipulated the environment of Physarum slime-mold amoebas. As the cells crawled across an agar plate, the researchers subjected them to cold, dry conditions for the first 10 minutes of every hour. During these cool spells, the cells slowed down their motion. After three cold snaps the scientists stopped changing the temperature and humidity and watched to see whether the amoebas had learned the pattern. Sure enough, many of the cells throttled back right on the hour in anticipation of another bout of cold weather. When conditions stayed stable for a while, the slime-mold amoebas gave up on their hourly braking, but when another single jolt of cold was applied, they resumed the behavior and correctly recalled the 60-minute interval.

Slime molds ftw. I don't really get why terraforming is so IDM. It's IDM but not as IDM as slime molds,ffs.

Exactly. Either there are a lot more covert Juggalos on this board than I previously thought, or JR is taking his royal privilege and voting more than once :nacmat:

look, do people not like slime molds because of the name? Listen, I get that. But they are amazing. They can make music. They can solve mazes. They are scores of tiny beings that can band together to form a single, unified organism, and can even sacrifice themselves for the greater good. And they may just be the oldest form of life on earth!

Yeah I'm surprised by the number of votes that Terraforming is getting over Slime Molds. As someone who plans to make a track out of whatever wins, I'd pick Slime Molds; I'd rather listen to something more intimate, intelligent and detailed (Slime Molds) that isn't saddled with the hyperbolic grandiosity of something like Terraforming.

Wait, Gaarg is losing too?

So being Socially Awkward (Not IDM), terraforming planets (predictable sci-fi not real), factories at night (meh), and incomplete/prototype sky scrapers (pretty cool) are going to win?

Boo-urns.

Archived