IGNORED

Track: 10 - Ecstatic Shock

phudoshin

Lets hear it for this excellent album closer.

One of my faves on the album as it contains all that TJ does best.. relentless percussion that acts as a carrier wave for the driving synth-lines and melody. It's got so many nice moment and has that almost melancholic touch as well as being pacey and punchy....

Not sure what you mean by compression......

Every time there's a drum hit, it's like the melody disappears. You know, compression. a lot of tracks on the album suffers from this. Especially Drax. I guess this isn't an issue for a lot of people, but I find it pretty annoying.

Drax is one of the few places on this album where i think the excessive compression kind of fills out between elements in the song. on the other hand, 4001 is really hard to listen to with the snare snapping later in the song.

I got to play this more, its own vinyl and I'm being lazy at the moment.

If I was rich I'd have a Gimp locked away and would get him (actually a female gimp would be better for obvious reasons) to play my vinyl for me. Sometimes I cant be arsed with vinyl then I go into a fucking mental zone when I don't play anything else. Anyway swiftly moving on.......

Great ending track, it's like he's saying, "i'm the best meng, i deed it :cisfor: "

I saw the live show at Dour festival, it was fucking awesome and now i love this album even more

Not sure what you mean by compression......

Every time there's a drum hit, it's like the melody disappears. You know, compression. a lot of tracks on the album suffers from this. Especially Drax. I guess this isn't an issue for a lot of people, but I find it pretty annoying.

threads like this make me glad I am not a 'music maker' and see music as magic dust and in no techinal detail whatsoever.

phew!!

I don't think it's the kind of appreciation one can do only because he's a music maker. For me it's obvious that this compression thing is deliberate and it's actually one of the thing I love on this album. I don't see it as a mistake but as a choice. You don't have to be a musician to hear that a lot of tracks on the album have this thing with the synths "disappearing" on some drum hits. So I suppose that if it didn't bother you, you kinda liked it (even if you didn't especially notice)

I don't think it's the kind of appreciation one can do only because he's a music maker. For me it's obvious that this compression thing is deliberate and it's actually one of the thing I love on this album. I don't see it as a mistake but as a choice. You don't have to be a musician to hear that a lot of tracks on the album have this thing with the synths "disappearing" on some drum hits. So I suppose that if it didn't bother you, you kinda liked it (even if you didn't especially notice)

well said, completly agree... but r u sure it's a compression? i'm not sure that's it...

The easiest way to get to that effect would be to use a sidechain compression (which means applying a compression to a track and tweak it so that this compression only happens when another track deliver sound). So here it would be something like applying a compression to the synths tracks (or even more tracks) with the kick(s) or snare(s) track(s).

Sidechain compression can be quite hard to tweak when it's happening at several levels into a track and Ufabulum is full of tracks like that (as far as I can hear).

Ecstatic Shock was one of my less loved tracks on Ufabulum because of the way it sounds indeed but it grew more and more to become one of my favorite. It's so powerful and works damn well as a closer.

Drax 2 is just unlistenable.

Archived