IGNORED

London™ 2012™ Olympics®

Rubin Farr

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Iain C

Where are you moving to?

Not sure yet pal. Looking for a decent spare room somewhere that's close to New Cross (where my partner will be living come Sept) and a reasonable commute to Southwark. Thinking about Greenwich cause I know the area quite well and have friends there. Or just New X, if I can stand the student vibe.

The London Olympics are a corporate lockdown that is entirely about making money and nothing to do with sport.

I have sympathy for althletes who want to do their thing but this has got entirely out of hand. They should drop all the sponsorship and opening ceremony bullshit and just make it a small festival of (slightly boring) track and field events with cheap tickets for whoever can be bothered to show up.

Will Self puts it best:

http://www.epigram.org.uk/2012/01/will-self-interview-the-olympics-suck/

I hear that you are unenthusiastic about the prospect of the Olympics this summer. In your eyes, what is the greatest folly of this whole affair?

Rather unenthusiastic is putting it waaaaay mildly: I think the Olympics suck dogshit through a straw. People believe they encourage da yoof to take up running, jumping and fainting in coils – but this is nonsense. They’re a boondoggle for politicians and financiers, a further corruption of an already corrupt self-appointed international coterie of Olympian cunts, an excuse for ‘elite’ athletes to fuck each other, snarf steroids and pick up sponsorship deals, and a senseless hitching of infrastructural investment – if there’s any reality to this anyway – to a useless loss-trailing expenditure on starchitectural bollix. The stadia themselves are a folly. The new Westfield is a temple to moribund consumerism – in ten years time they’ll all be cracked and spalled; a Hitlerian mass of post-pomo nonsense.

Assuming we will always have the Olympics, could you suggest a better way of doing them?

Why assume that? If you want to run and jump, go do it in a field for free. If you want to run and jump with a Kenyan or a Croatian, go out and find one – there are plenty around my way – and go and run and jump together in a field. Costs nothing. You may even make a few bob by charging people to watch you.

They should drop all the sponsorship and opening ceremony bullshit and just make it a small festival of (slightly boring) track and field events with cheap tickets for whoever can be bothered to show up.

agrees.

The Olympics have indeed become an overwrought commercial and adspace for multi-billion corporations with sporting events as a sideshow. It's basically a couple of week long commercial on the tax payers dime.

Everyone in Congress is pissed off about the Ralph Lauren opening ceremony US uniforms being made (partially!) outside of the U.S.

http://www.philly.co.../162786506.html

I guess nobody cares that they have conspicuous, gigantic Ralph Lauren Polo logos on them.

ralph-lauren-olympic-uniform.jpg

628x471.jpg

Fuck this shit.

Everyone in Congress is pissed off about the Ralph Lauren opening ceremony US uniforms being made (partially!) outside of the U.S.

I guess nobody cares that they have conspicuous, gigantic Ralph Lauren Polo logos on them.

628x471.jpg

Fuck this shit.

yeah, these are awful... what's with the fucking berets?

Guest Xenblake

personally I think it's a big waste of time/space/money, I even heard they've moved some of it into greenwich park. fucing sacrilige.

It's quite funny seeing sweaty ugly english girls getting their asses whipped in the running disciplines by elegant nubians.

Maybe they should have a black race/white race in this discipline for more fairness?

is this like an affirmative action thing ? i mean, there just have to be a guy in any given time and place that will turn everything into some idiotic police state fantasy with links to 1.5 hour youtube videos that explain "the truth behind whatever" ?

is this like an affirmative action thing ? i mean, there just have to be a guy in any given time and place that will turn everything into some idiotic police state fantasy with links to 1.5 hour youtube videos that explain "the truth behind whatever" ?

fSmQq.jpg

628x471.jpg

Fuck this shit.

lol. Ralph Lauren is having a field day I bet. Another marketing ploy by corporate America.

Guest RandySicko

Because there are people like you with their heads so far up their asses that someone else needs to do the thinking.

beret is for extra militaryness.

Oh and the logo thing is beyond the pale. I take it that every sporting endeavour now somehow involves an equestrian element, heh. All the sprinters versus a guy on an horse with a long mallet, perhaps. Won't do so well in the swimming events methinks.

It's like he thinks that he's doing the team a huge favour running up these duds. Pathetic.

Archived