IGNORED

Psychedelics

mentalextension

Guest KyoAcid

Just fucking do it, if don't like it, don't do it again.

I used to love acid, I'm too old and too ugly now, but if I was given the chance yes I'd do it.

Edited by KyoAcid

The question of whether the condition of consciousness is "hallucinatory" in nature or not strikes me as irrelevant.

It's hardly irrelevant if it's something most people don't realise, and realising it helps provide a deeper understanding of what's going on inside our heads, and failure to realise it with some people may lead them to jump to erroneous (and sometimes dangerous) conclusions about the nature of reality in response to their psychonautical adventures . . .

I guess. But aren't you really just observing that people are easily misled? Folks reach bad/unjustified conclusions as a result of all kinds of experiences, not just psychedelic ones.

For my part, the radical disruption of my quotidian state of being via psychoactive substances has only augmented my keen awareness of the inherent limits of my perspective, my sensory equipment, and my rational faculties. I have become more skeptical of my beliefs, more expressly agnostic in every sense of the word. This is precisely the opposite of the concern you mentioned (of people developing unjustified certainties about the nature of reality).

Guest skibby

I used to love acid, I'm too old and too ugly now, but if I was given the chance yes I'd do it.

Yeah, psychodelics are self regulating.

Also, words and rational thought turned the planet into a shopping mall with gun turrets.

Reason me that batman.

I guess. But aren't you really just observing that people are easily misled? Folks reach bad/unjustified conclusions as a result of all kinds of experiences, not just psychedelic ones.

No, first off, that's only part of what I said, the intellectual curiosity aspect is more important in what I'm talking about (for me anyway); but in regard to the other thing, they may be misled easily (repeated hallucinatory activation of neural patterns of significance, creating some where none is justified, makes it easy to have a strong but unjustified belief in something - see those recent AI 'paintings' from noise for an example of this), but I don't think they're being misled in the same manner that people get misled in everyday life, through misunderstandings or being deceived or whatever, it's a wholly different class of experience I think.

For my part, the radical disruption of my quotidian state of being via psychoactive substances has only augmented my keen awareness of the inherent limits of my perspective, my sensory equipment, and my rational faculties. I have become more skeptical of my beliefs, more expressly agnostic in every sense of the word. This is precisely the opposite of the concern you mentioned (of people developing unjustified certainties about the nature of reality).

Well, good for you, and I hope if you keep it up that it will continue on as such; but obviously for a lot of people this isn't the case (I have many examples of this from people I've known through the years, and I'm sure everyone else who plays around in this realm knows many similar cases). I wasn't attempting to say that everyone is going to succumb to such beliefs, or even most people (though it could be, I don't have enough info to attempt to quantify it really).

Also, words and rational thought turned the planet into a shopping mall with gun turrets.

Reason me that batman.

how are they self regulating? if anything they're self perpetuating, if you practice the guitar a lot you will strengthen the neural networks related to the muscle movements required to play the guitar (the viability of any neural connection is proportional to the frequency of its activation), if you take psychedelics a lot you will strengthen the neural patterns that develop from taking them, eventually permanently changing your how your brain works (whether this is for good or ill is not something we can generalise upon at this point, but it's certainly for ill in a large number of cases, which is probably why most people stop taking them).

Words and rational thought have also created innumerable works of art and beauty, brought great understanding about the world around us, and led to a desire to reduce suffering and many other positive things. Is all that worth the shopping malls and gun turrets? I think so, it's certainly better than the alternative, everyone on the planet living hand to mouth, trying to hunt and kill things and living in caves when it gets too wet.

I don't think anybody's saying we should all gobble acid everyday, or that what is to be gained from psychedelic experiences will always trump the benefits of other experiences. Why need it be an either/or, all-or-nothing proposition?

I've experienced the park near my parents' house countless times. Very quickly, the park itself became mundane and static in my mind. I had gathered what sense data there was to gather there, and the park lost its novelty. The people and animals changed, and remained interesting, but I ceased to gain any new insights or experiences by engaging with the space itself. Adding psychedelic substances to the mix, however, allowed me to interact with the park in completely new ways once again. The space hadn't changed, but I had, and so I gained additional novel sensations and insights from what would otherwise have been just another unrewarding experience of a familiar environment.

tl;dr While I wouldn't deny that psychedelics can facilitate one's apperception or comprehension of genuine truths, mostly I think of them simply as unique exponentiators of experiential possibility.

Edited by doorjamb

You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on The System, that they will fight to protect it.

Guest skibby

Reason me that batman.

how are they self regulating? if anything they're self perpetuating, if you practice the guitar a lot you will strengthen the neural networks related to the muscle movements required to play the guitar (the viability of any neural connection is proportional to the frequency of its activation), if you take psychedelics a lot you will strengthen the neural patterns that develop from taking them, eventually permanently changing your how your brain works (whether this is for good or ill is not something we can generalise upon at this point, but it's certainly for ill in a large number of cases, which is probably why most people stop taking them).

u lost me at how

I don't think anybody's saying we should all gobble acid everyday, or that what is to be gained from psychedelic experiences will always trump the benefits of other experiences. Why need it be an either/or, all-or-nothing proposition?

I've experienced the park near my parents' house countless times. Very quickly, the park itself became mundane and static in my mind. I had gathered what sense data there was to gather there, and the park lost its novelty. The people and animals changed, and remained interesting, but I ceased to gain any new insights or experiences by engaging with the space itself. Adding psychedelic substances to the mix, however, allowed me to interact with the park in completely new ways once again. The space hadn't changed, but I had, and so I gained additional novel sensations and insights from what would otherwise have been just another unrewarding experience of a familiar environment.

tl;dr While I wouldn't deny that psychedelics can facilitate one's apperception or comprehension of genuine truths, mostly I think of them simply as unique exponentiators of experiential possibility.

And I'm not saying nobody should take acid, or that it's not a worthwhile experience. Just that we should take proclamations of the uncovering of the true nature of reality based on psychedelic experiences with a healthy pinch of salt.

1. The mushroom must be heard.?

2. The yagé must be charged with the over-tonal ESR of the tryptamine via an amplified sound.?

3. The [illegible] ESR resonance of the tryptamines in the mushroom will be cancelled, and it will drop into [a] superconducting state: the physical matter of the mushroom will be obliterated.

4. The superconductively charged psilocybin will pick up the ESR harmonic of the yagé complex: This energy will be instantly and completely absorbed by the 4-D tryptamine template. It will be transferred into the mushroom as a sound and condensed onto the tryptamines as a bonded complex of superconductive harmine-tryptamine-DNA.

5. The result will be a material object of fourth-dimensional superconductive matter, that receives and sends messages transmitted by thought, that stores and retrieves information in DNA holographic storage, and that depends on superconductive harmine as a transducer energy source, and superconductive RNA as a temporal matrix.

Guest skibby

Just that we should take proclamations of the uncovering of the true nature of reality based on psychedelic experiences with a healthy pinch of salt.

Who is this 'we' demographic to which you refer? I can't execute instructions without a specific memory address.

Just that we should take proclamations of the uncovering of the true nature of reality based on psychedelic experiences with a healthy pinch of salt.

Who is this 'we' demographic to which you refer? I can't execute instructions without a specific memory address.

Everyone.

I'm pretty happy with the theories I have come up with as a result of being brainflossed - they may be stark but they're a lot more realistic than the common thread.

Guest sonnyskare

after i did acid and had a bad trip (despite having a pretty good mind going in) i've had a lot of panic attacks. psychedelics are not for everyone haha

i still had a good time before it went bad. saw a lot of interesting stuff and it felt like I came close to death and accepted it which was such a weird thing to feel.

Edited by sonnyskare

Guest skibby

Everyone.

when you say everyone, do you mean just the humans or all sentient beings?