IGNORED

Psychedelics

mentalextension

I have no way to judge what I've taken cause it's been random shit. I always take 2g and it's only not been enough 1 time, and it's never been two intense to deal with, but I take care to make sure everything is in its right place beforehand. I've redosed halfway through with another 2g once and that was intense, and very enjoyable.

that's some heavy dosage

adieu, you should be watmm's resident shaman

seriously

all in favor say 'aye' (or 'high'?)

Psychedelic machismo ≠ good shamanism

telling someone to take 4 grams for their first time on shrooms and that they just need the right 'headspace' to trip right is imo terrible advice.

i wasn't basing my nomination on his high dosages

but rather just his general shaman-ness

it was a bit of a non-sequitar that i should have clarified

and yeah first-timers should prolly just take like 1/2 gram (in my imo)

1/2 gram used to land me on the ground

laughing for 3 hours

until my face and ribs hurt

I have no way to judge what I've taken cause it's been random shit. I always take 2g and it's only not been enough 1 time, and it's never been two intense to deal with, but I take care to make sure everything is in its right place beforehand. I've redosed halfway through with another 2g once and that was intense, and very enjoyable.

that's some heavy dosage

seriously

telling someone to take 4 grams for their first time on shrooms and that they just need the right 'headspace' to trip right is imo terrible advice.

laughing for 3 hours

Well this isn't exactly my first time. When i was 16 i did shrooms three times. First two were just body highs, cool but a little disappointing cuz i wanted to trip. Third time I went balls to the wall and had the lions share of a bag me and my friend had. Didn't go into it with the right mindset, didn't do much research on psilocybin, went to an unfamiliar location. One thing led to another and I ended up in a hospital bed with nurses telling me I was streaking in public.

This might seem weird that I want to try shrooms again but it's 5 years later, I'm 21 and I feel like I'm in a much better headspace and I have the opportunity to go into this trip with good set and setting. I just really wish i knew how much i took last time and what sort of species it was. I know I must sound stupid for trying it again but last time I was 16 and had a "I wanna get fucked up" mentality.

Edited by Danny O Flannagin

that's some heavy dosage

seriously

laughing for 3 hours

Well this isn't exactly my first time. When i was 16 i did shrooms three times. First two were just body highs, cool but a little disappointing cuz i wanted to trip. Third time I went balls to the wall and had the lions share of a bag me and my friend had. Didn't go into it with the right mindset, didn't do much research on psilocybin, went to an unfamiliar location. One thing led to another and I ended up in a hospital bed with nurses telling me I was streaking in public.

This might seem weird that I want to try shrooms again but it's 5 years later, I'm 21 and I feel like I'm in a much better headspace and I have the opportunity to go into this trip with good set and setting. I just really wish i knew how much i took last time and what sort of species it was. I know I must sound stupid for trying it again but last time I was 16 and had a "I wanna get fucked up" mentality.

Fuck, dude- I will GIVE YOU TWENTY GRAMS of dried shrooms, if you let me film the results.

I'm making a documentary about an electronic music board member, who freaks out in thought provoking ways, all at a glorious 24 fps. You might fit za biru!!!

Edited by peace 7

talking of dreaming on xanax and whatevs, anyone ever done mirtazapine? i effing love that stuff. half concious mixed with ssri effects equal a few days of the best damn dreamstates ever in the whole world.

great stuff

talking of dreaming on xanax and whatevs, anyone ever done mirtazapine? i effing love that stuff. half concious mixed with ssri effects equal a few days of the best damn dreamstates ever in the whole world.

great stuff

I've 'done' it

(i.e. was prescribed it by a doctor for bipolar)

I always find it quite strange to hear that

somone's having a good time with meds I used to take

like Seroquel or Mirtazipine (and to a certain extent Xanax)

I did not have fun with those lol

Seroquel made me a drooling (literally) zombie (not literally) for like 2 or 3 years

I still have bottles full of the these meds (the first two)

If someone asked for them

I'd prolly throw them away instead of giving them away

To me, there's nothing psychadelic about them

In fact I rather see them as poison

And I'm not anti-psychiatry or anti-drugs or anything

speaking of 'dream drugs' anyone here do Chantix the most heavily marketed 'anti smoking' prescription drug?

the commercials seem to emphasize the 'disturbing dreams' side effect and i've just heard from 2 people who took it that said it gave them the most fucked up dreams they've ever had. I'm curious about it

speaking of 'dream drugs' anyone here do Chantix the most heavily marketed 'anti smoking' prescription drug?

the commercials seem to emphasize the 'disturbing dreams' side effect and i've just heard from 2 people who took it that said it gave them the most fucked up dreams they've ever had. I'm curious about it

man, drug dreams are insane

I got mild sub-clinical PTSD from my nicotine patch nightmares

probably the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life

also Seroquel gave me extremely vivid life-changing dreams for years

when i was doing lucid dreaming for a hobby I almost got one of those (when i wasn't a smoker) it would probably would have ended up disastrously. I can;t imagine these things being prescribed or used by people with sleep walking problems but they probably are all the time, and now we have Ambien which produces a previously unknown condition 'sleep eating'. lovely

anyone ever get those incredibly realistic visions on powerful sedatives? I remember several times on a heavy amount of buprenorphine I found myself wandering through hyper-realistic fully realized cities, seeing and talking to people who looked almost more detailed than in reality. I still can't really figure out how something like that can happen. It was like remote viewing or something. Crazy.

Guest D1Beard

I used to grow and take mushrooms on the regular. As stated by other posters, frequent psychedelic voyages before you've really formed a core adult identity can seriously disrupt identity formation, which will make things awkward, ineffective, and difficult for you when you have to start doing adult things. I also agree that psychedelic experiences can become the basis for some really bizarre belief systems, particularly about the nature of the universe. There's a lot of literature out there, particularly from India, that people get latched on to, as it resonates with their psychedelic experiences. I'm not fond of how serious a "journey" that can become for some people, including myself. I never saw anyone complete it -- just gradually snap out of it.

While psychedelics for some seem to be a way to reach some higher esoteric knowledge, I see it more as a way to explore my consciousness and how it works.

I'm prejudiced in this direction. Would love to try them again with this kind of mindset. Also, loved the concept of consciousness as a superfluid. As I get more into neurobiology and the human body, I'm beginning to appreciate the wonders of reductionism paired with systems thinking - speculative and poetical language is just too dangerous when trying to discern and describe the nature of reality. You can come to some very, very wrong conclusions.

Edited by D1Beard

when i was doing lucid dreaming for a hobby I almost got one of those (when i wasn't a smoker) it would probably would have ended up disastrously. I can;t imagine these things being prescribed or used by people with sleep walking problems but they probably are all the time, and now we have Ambien which produces a previously unknown condition 'sleep eating'. lovely

I'm not sure on the actual pharmacology of this, but as I was an alcoholic for about 10 years.... well basically, since I've stopped drinking to sleep, I have these lucid dreams almost every night. I'm not sure exactly why or if this is a common phenomenon, but I quite enjoy it.

I'm always aware that I'm in a dream, and I can almost always (roughly 70% of the time) interact with the dreams, make decisions, etc. They always seem very long, sometimes spanning a few days. And when I wake up, I almost always remember what had happened.

It's almost like a second life.

Any idea if this is a common thing for ex alcoholics? =/

fuck seroquel. that shit is STRONG.. my friend who is bipolar was sometimes on 100mg when in insane high mode.

i remember he gave me one of his tabs once and half an hour later i was incapacitated. drooling on the floor.

@stephen G yeah i think thats a thing, but usually doesnt stay? lucky you if you're getting lucid dreams. when i realise im dreaming i shag everything in sight :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by lala

also Seroquel gave me extremely vivid life-changing dreams for years

Nicotine patches gave me nightmares in which me and one of my friends were chased through a sewer by a guy with an axe and we both got hacked up. I also had one where I shot a friend and had to dispose of the body from the top floor of a crowded building. Really vivid and you can feel The Fear in these fucking dreams, man!

@stephen G yeah i think thats a thing, but usually doesnt stay? lucky you if you're getting lucid dreams. when i realise im dreaming i shag everything in sight :emotawesomepm9:

I dunno man, it's going on almost 2 years now and I'd say roughly 60% of the time the dreams are like that.

I'm permanently damaged lol.

I dunno man, it's going on almost 2 years now and I'd say roughly 60% of the time the dreams are like that.

I'm permanently damaged lol.

or permanently awesome, depending on how you look at things. for me lucid 60% of the time would be like having multiple seriously cool friends with benefits

Staring into someone’s eyes for 10 minutes induces an altered state of consciousness

Volunteers ended up hallucinating and saw deformed facial traits and monsters.

BEC CREW
19 AUG 2015
facebook_34.png70.ktwitter_34.png794email_34.png

A psychologist in Italy has figured out how to induce a drug-free altered state of consciousness by asking 20 volunteers to sit and stare into each other’s eyes for 10 minutes straight. Not only did the deceptively simple task bring on strange ‘out of body’ experiences for the volunteers, it also caused them to see hallucinations of monsters, their relatives, and themselves in their partner’s face.

The experiment, run by Giovanni Caputo from the University of Urbino, involved having 20 young adults (15 of which were women) pair off, sit in a dimly lit room 1 metre away from each other, and stare into their partner’s eyes for 10 minutes. The lighting in the room was bright enough for the volunteers to easily make out the facial features of their partner, but low enough to diminish their overall colour perception.

A control group of 20 more volunteers were asked to sit and stare for 10 minutes in another dimly lit room in pairs, but their chairs were facing a blank wall. The volunteers were told very little about the purpose of the study, only that it had to do with a "meditative experience with eyes open".

Once the 10 minutes were up, the volunteers were asked to complete questionnaires related to what they experienced during and after the experiment. One questionnaire focussed on any dissociative symptoms that the volunteers might have experienced, and another questioned them on what they perceived in their partner’s face (eye-staring group) or their own face (control group).

Dissociation is a term used in psychology to describe a whole range of psychological experiences that make a person feel detached from their immediate surroundings. Symptoms such as a loss of memory, seeing everything in distorted colours, or feeling like the world isn’t real can be brought on by abuse and trauma; drugs such as ketamine, alcohol, and LSD; and now, apparently, face-staring.

"The participants in the eye-staring group said they'd had a compelling experience unlike anything they'd felt before," Christian Jarrett writes for the British Psychological Society’s Research Digest.

Reporting in journal Psychiatry Research, Caputo says the eye-staring group out-scored the control group in all the questionnaires, which suggests that something about staring into another human being’s eyes for 10 uninterrupted minutes had a profound effect on their visual perception and mental state.

Jarrett explains:

"On the dissociative states test, they gave the strongest ratings to items related to reduced colour intensity, sounds seeming quieter or louder than expected, becoming spaced out, and time seeming to drag on. On the strange-face questionnaire, 90 percent of the eye-staring group agreed that they'd seen some deformed facial traits, 75 percent said they'd seen a monster, 50 percent said they saw aspects of their own face in their partner's face, and 15 percent said they'd seen a relative's face."

The results recall what Caputo found back in 2010 when he performed a similar experiment with 50 volunteers staring at themselves in a mirror for 10 minutes. The paper, entitled Strange-Face-in-the-Mirror Illusion, reports that after less than a minute, the volunteers started seeing what Caputo describes as the "strange-face illusion".

"The participants' descriptions included huge deformations of their own faces; seeing the faces of alive or deceased parents; archetypal faces such as an old woman, child or the portrait of an ancestor; animal faces such as a cat, pig or lion; and even fantastical and monstrous beings," Susana Martinez-Conde and Stephen L. Macknik write for Scientific American. "All 50 participants reported feelings of ‘otherness' when confronted with a face that seemed suddenly unfamiliar. Some felt powerful emotions."

According to Jarrett at the British Psychological Society, while the eye-staring group of this most recent experiment only scored on average 2.45 points higher than the control group in their questionnaires (which used a five-point scale where 0 is "not at all" and 5 would be "extremely"), Caputo says the effects were stronger than those experienced by the 2010 mirror-staring volunteers.

So what's going on here? Martinez-Conde and Macknik explain that it's likely to do with something called neural adaptation, which describes how our neurons can slow down or even stop their responses to unchanging stimulation. It happens when you stare at any scene or object for an extended period of time - your perception will start to fade until you blink or the scene changes, or it can be rectified by tiny involuntary eye movements called microsaccades.

Head to Scientific American to read a fascinating breakdown of the research into this, and if you're going to try to this at home, here's something to contemplate as you while away those long, long minutes:

It happens when you stare at any scene or object for an extended period of time - your perception will start to fade until you blink or the scene changes, or it can be rectified by tiny involuntary eye movements called microsaccades.

Yea this is pretty cool.

Pretty sure everyone in the world is co-shaman to peace.

Upon the foundation of Ultra and IDM- respectively but also wicked quick when joined harmoniously- everyday we Live our Day. Upon the foundation of True Vibez and Infinite Spark in an Instant, everyday we Live our Day. By removing resistance, goals become a matter of Willingly expressing sincerity; amplifying the Light that beams this projected reality; amplification achieved through Focus. Resistance is removed by letting go of the handles of fear. Where you arrive is where you will find Yourself, always. If you forget this you will become lost in Youself, always.

Oh fuck I drew a face that I saw in my face in the mirror, from 1995 8th grade, except I might've thrown it out, cuz it was scary and I was lil bitch. Yah I thiiink I remember folding it up...

And looking into others' eyes ting-- a similar tech called psychic window that I learnt in 1995 (coincidentally), where 2 people sit in chairs opposite each other, off center, so both right eyes are looking into the other, and the left eye is just... there. Then greys come out.