IGNORED

'Global Warming's Terrifying New Math'

autopilot

6 hours ago, thefxbip said:

The whole humanity is addicted to fossil fuel and technological utopia and we're still in denial stage acting like we don't have a problem. 

But you know, humans have been through lots of various shit through out history, i think we'll figure it out, but we will probably have to hit a few serious walls before cause humans like to learn the hard way.

I could see parts of the world going back to a more feudal society, if their governments break down bc of COVID instability, climate change, resource shortage, overpopulation, etc. It will be an interesting century, but I can’t see how it will end better than it began.

• Like 2

The Amazon rainforest is now emitting more carbon dioxide than it is able to absorb, scientists have confirmed for the first time.

The emissions amount to a billion tonnes of carbon dioxide a year, according to a study. The giant forest had previously been a carbon sink, absorbing the emissions driving the climate crisis, but is now causing its acceleration, researchers said.

looks like we now need to get rid of the amazon coz it's not helping things. maybe replace it with an amazon mega warehouse?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/14/amazon-rainforest-now-emitting-more-co2-than-it-absorbs

1 minute ago, Nebraska said:

looks like we now need to get rid of the amazon coz it's not helping things. maybe replace it with an amazon mega warehouse?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/14/amazon-rainforest-now-emitting-more-co2-than-it-absorbs

i don't buy that. seems crazy. 

saw the "amazing rivers" series on PBS and the amazon is pretty amazing.. the whole place is responsible for so much weather in far off places. forms atmospheric river that becomes clouds then gets backed up against the andes and creates snow. the amazon is so interconnected w.the whole world really.. w/o it we'd be fucked faster.. harder.. stronger. 

oh.. it's called Rivers of Life.. amazing series. 

https://www.pbs.org/show/rivers-life/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

fuckn hell., that's how hot it was here in portland a couple weeks ago. 

this is nuts. from the article you posted. fckn beeef and soy. 

Most of the emissions are caused by fires, many deliberately set to clear land for beef and soy production. But even without fires, hotter temperatures and droughts mean the south-eastern Amazon has become a source of CO2, rather than a sink.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Nebraska said:

? Ecologists: We should stop setting the rainforest on fire.
You know, for the future, for like all life on Earth, maybe? (hint hint)
? People: Yeah. Poor nature and animals and things you just said.
? Mega-Corporations: But you need stuff. More of it. All of it! Mooore!
? People: Yesss. I neeeed all of the stuff!
? Brazil: I'll do it! Now give meh tha money!
? Ecologists: ...
? People: Owh no... (maybe change?)
? Richies: Heh. (but let's continue) (maybe post something positive on social media)

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 1

Im just sick of the talk about this.. every year is a "NEW WEATHER RECORD, Super hot, burning here and there" 

I have to agree with Dr. Peterson on this: This is not even in the top 50 list of things that should be prioritized in this world. 

• Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, cern said:

Im just sick of the talk about this.. every year is a "NEW WEATHER RECORD, Super hot, burning here and there" 

I have to agree with Dr. Peterson on this: This is not even in the top 50 list of things that should be prioritized in this world. 

it's not about the droughts, heat waves, fires, and hurricanes that are worsened and impacting people's lives now. we are destabilizing a massive, complex system, which had been fairly stable for around 7,000 years. the consequences over the next 100 - 200 years may be cataclysmic. 

and we can't just flip a switch and turn off emissions. it's a ridiculously mammoth undertaking that we must earnestly work at accomplishing, and quickly.

and even when emissions are under control, we will have already set a massive reaction in motion. carry-on effects perpetuate continued climatic shift.

it's really best not to rock the boat, when it comes to the planetary atmosphere, climates, and ecosystems.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 4

I'd think the Peterson-argument is about the difference between investing in adapting to a changing climate, or investing in an attempt to bring the situation back to what it was.

I might be wrong of course. But this distinction is relevant, I'd argue. And it makes a big difference whether policies are aimed at adapting (and reducing further damage) or "attempts to engineer the climate back to where it was and keep it there". Personally, I don't believe in the latter. (which is where i hope the "not in top-50" comes from) We're beyond a couple trigger points, at this point. It's too late to engineer our way back in climate time.

59 minutes ago, very honest said:

joke about the bengladeshis expected to be displaced this century as 30% of bangladesh submerges. the country has twice the population of germany

https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2020/01/04/back-to-bangladesh-how-fast-is-the-delta-sinking/

coastal india though.. holy crap. so many people. 

5 hours ago, ignatius said:

I can’t imagine this would be anything but a chain reaction of disasters for things like nuclear weapons, nuclear power plants, etc

11 hours ago, cern said:

Not sure what to tell ya. It's in the news because it affects people. :cisfor:

• Like 3

On 7/21/2021 at 11:21 AM, very honest said:

north americans noticing that the continent is covered in smoke

a lot of it is high level smoke so upper winds.. and apparently that's even worse because on its trip from west to east it collects more pollution in the atmosphere and brings it along. 

this is fine. 

https://www.hcn.org/articles/climate-change-trans-alaska-pipeline-under-threat-from-thawing-permafrost

Thawing permafrost threatens to undermine the supports holding up an elevated section of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, jeopardizing the structural integrity of one of the world’s largest oil pipelines and raising the potential of an oil spill in a delicate and remote landscape where it would be extremely difficult to clean up.

• Sad 2

so many local and regional problems around water. just gonna get worse

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/severe-drought-reignites-decades-old-conflict-between-oregon-ranchers-indigenous-peoples

Vast stretches of the Western U.S. are suffering under scorching temperatures, rampant wildfires and a years-long drought that's depleting lakes and reservoirs.

The water scarcity is tearing apart one Southern Oregon community, where farmers, Native tribes and endangered species are all struggling to survive this summer.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 8:54 PM, Nebraska said:

Maybe stop setting it on fire? IDK just an idea. 

AMAZON.