IGNORED

Exai reviews

Franciscus

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, few things I hate more than an over-generalization of terms. Techno and dubstep have always pissed me off when it's related to music that has nothing to do with it, particularly when it's someone who has no idea what they're talking about saying "I fucking love/hate techno/dubstep" and they're not even talking about the right thing.

I'm not a big fan of "rock music" (putting that in quotes makes me sound like an 80 year old man) but I'm not going to hate on every band that resembles rock because U2 and Creed suck wang. People need to table the labels and open up their damn ears.

brilliant post (because I agree with every word lol)

I saw the words glitchy, random, noise and disjointed a lot... but none of those apply to most of Exai's tracks at all... :-/

Well, there is definitely lots of noise in there. But you are right with the rest. Actually, I think Autechre never were at any time disjointed. They all complex, that's all. And they never ever were random. That's just the opposite of everything they are.

I saw the words glitchy, random, noise and disjointed a lot... but none of those apply to most of Exai's tracks at all... :-/

Well, there is definitely lots of noise in there. But you are right with the rest. Actually, I think Autechre never were at any time disjointed. They all complex, that's all. And they never ever were random. That's just the opposite of everything they are.

agreed

Mojo magazine (very respectful magazine which mainly deals with music of the past like Hendrix, Beatles, Floyd etc) gave Exai a cute little review in its small but dedicated electronica section. 4/5 stars from them.

A lot of respect seems to be coming forth for Autechre at the moment, it seems the only place where they aren't getting the respect they deserve is from that fool from pitchfork who gave it a 5.9/10.

Guest pixelives

Jesus. Why drop some synth model names when you obviously have no fucking clue what you are talking about?

Or is this internet irony that whisked past my head?

http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/storefront/2013/03/graded-on-a-curve-autechre-exai/

After clearing the often cluttered schedule of daily life and focusing the attention to give it numerous full listens, the verdict is that Exai holds a surplus of very good, occasionally superb material, with its total shaping up as a massive and thorny object thrown into a contemporary music scene that’s increasingly dominated by ease and adaptability. -cerpt

It would be cool to see him doing some reviews of stuff he discovered or found on bandcamp or something. For me this is the missing ingredient with most review sites. Not that they should review unsigned or indie material just for the fuck of it, but discovering something or elevating an obscure piece of music at least in my eyes is providing a service to the public beyond just giving your opinion on a piece of music everyone already knows about.

I actually like his reviews, fuck it. He actually seems to give a fuck about the music without being a totally biased fanboy.

agreed but I lol and imagine what we would be saying if he said exai sucks.

Archived