IGNORED

Exai cover is a crime

lumpenprol

I like Cavity Job

*runs*

Cavity job cover wouldn't be that bad if there wasn't the guy with the drill. Now it's just :facepalm: I used to draw human figures like that to Cyberpunk RPG character sheets when I was 13.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has probably been linked somewhere before, but since it isn't in this thread:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?showall=true&bookmarkedmessageid=4081886&boardid=41&threadid=94682

if you treat the 11x11 grid of the front cover as a series of 11-bit binary numbers, they add up to the release date as YYMMD (13034)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AougnYAALBAvdHI0MTNBNm1ZbldiN29ISHFBUWp4WVE#gid=0

I like Cavity Job

*runs*

Cavity job cover wouldn't be that bad if there wasn't the guy with the drill. Now it's just :facepalm: I used to draw human figures like that to Cyberpunk RPG character sheets when I was 13.

I guess you don't know much about Cavity Job :facepalm:

Cavity Job was released in 1991, when Sean and Rob would've been in late teens early twenties, and most definitely around the era they were into their tagging. The artwork was made by Hanal, a close friend of theirs whose artwork style is very heavily influenced by a particular graphic artist responsible for a comic series, the name of which eludes me at the moment (Hanal has told me a few times, and even has tattoos in homage to this artist and a character in particular).

Taking this knowledge into account, it makes sense. But I'm sure you already knew all of this, right?

Taking this knowledge into account, it makes sense. But I'm sure you already knew all of this, right?

I did not know that. Thanks for the info. The style the guy is drawn does look familiar. The first thought was my own drawings but I was probably influenced by something. Judge Dredd comes to mind but it doesn't quite fit. The Cyberpunk 2020 RPG I mentioned does have kinda similar style though with the blocky heads, weapons (well, drill..), crazy hairdos, etc.

20080410114946.jpg

I still find the drill guy facepalm worthy. It just looks hilarious and out of place. Otherwise the design is nice.

As for the Exai cover, I quite like it. I like minimalist covers in general because they give very little ready made visual interpretation of the music. I can work it out inside in my head instead.

It's just me being nerdy and assburger but I find it a little bit funny that there's anti-aliasing on the edge of the squares and noise/artifacts in the 1000 x 1000px 85kB JPG that came with the digital download. I mean it could have been better quality by being simply a 13 x 13px 2 color image.

nerd-angry.jpg

I like Cavity Job

*runs*

Cavity Job was released in 1991, when Sean and Rob would've been in late teens early twenties, and most definitely around the era they were into their tagging. The artwork was made by Hanal, a close friend of theirs whose artwork style is very heavily influenced by a particular graphic artist responsible for a comic series, the name of which eludes me at the moment (Hanal has told me a few times, and even has tattoos in homage to this artist and a character in particular).

So what? How does that justify a (imo) shitty cover? Just because the cover was made by that guy, and he was influenced by this other guy, does that automatically improve the artwork's quality?

I like Cavity Job

*runs*

So what? How does that justify a (imo) shitty cover? Just because the cover was made by that guy, and he was influenced by this other guy, does that automatically improve the artwork's quality?

You clearly don't read too well.

It's called context

Guest cult fiction

This has probably been linked somewhere before, but since it isn't in this thread:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?showall=true&bookmarkedmessageid=4081886&boardid=41&threadid=94682

if you treat the 11x11 grid of the front cover as a series of 11-bit binary numbers, they add up to the release date as YYMMD (13034)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AougnYAALBAvdHI0MTNBNm1ZbldiN29ISHFBUWp4WVE#gid=0

Wow, if that is the "thought" that was put into the album cover, it makes it even more of a crime.

Guest danada cry

abstract art seems kind of fitting for autechre, perhaps the covers represent microcosms of an infinite bigger picture (of your choice), represented in a flicker of the eye, or real life pixel of something or other.....lol.

I know what I mean, but I ran out of steam....

I understood you perfectly, Beerwolf. :wang:

Guest Rulohead32

I guess it does kinda say

EX

AI

if you squint at it hard enough

Well, more people adds up to the "Occam's Razor" theory: the easiest explanation is the correct.

Guest Drahken

A friend of mine was over and commented that the painting in my studio looks similar to the Exai cover. I've had this piece up since I finished it back in July, never really noticed till he pointed it out.

IkKym1Y.jpg

abstract art seems kind of fitting for autechre, perhaps the covers represent microcosms of an infinite bigger picture (of your choice), represented in a flicker of the eye, or real life pixel of something or other.....lol.

I know what I mean, but I ran out of steam....

I understood you perfectly, Beerwolf. :wang:

Not many do, so congratulations lol

A friend of mine was over and commented that the painting in my studio looks similar to the Exai cover. I've had this piece up since I finished it back in July, never really noticed till he pointed it out.

IkKym1Y.jpg

That's pretty cool. And before even tdr started working on it....

got my pre-ordered Exai CD today...the cover is awesome! Really like the total package, with the stickers and all.. .. .. .

Archived