IGNORED

Well, BT likes Autechre...

ZoeB

although he wouldn't be the first person in that category: you'd never expect the roided-out soggy beefcake that is Trent Reznor to be a musical genius

yeah but Reznor didn't always have a neck wider than his head circumference

NIN_610.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trent's genius lies more on the production side of things. He's a decent songwriter, not a brilliant one, but his production ideas always turned those mediocre pop tunes into something quite remarkable.

Isn't that true of most of the Warp roster too..? I think most electronic musicians are known more for their arrangements and timbres than their tuneful melodies... (Although I think Reznor's tunes are pretty catchy too, not to mention the heartfelt lyrics.)

What Trent Reznor really shines at is taking the finest character synthesizers and making them all sound the same by running them through a bunch of shitty distortion and then crying over it.

Why is everyone being so negative in this thread?

What Trent Reznor really shines at is taking the finest character synthesizers and making them all sound the same by running them through a bunch of shitty distortion and then crying over it.

This should cheer everyone up

300.reznor.trent.021709.jpg

when the ship goes down i think it's a little unreasonable to expect people to be positive. The ship = the world itself

when the ship goes down i think it's a little unreasonable to expect people to be positive. The ship = the world itself

I don't understand what you mean.

Trent's genius lies more on the production side of things. He's a decent songwriter, not a brilliant one, but his production ideas always turned those mediocre pop tunes into something quite remarkable.

Isn't that true of most of the Warp roster too..? I think most electronic musicians are known more for their arrangements and timbres than their tuneful melodies... (Although I think Reznor's tunes are pretty catchy too, not to mention the heartfelt lyrics.)

Yep, this is true. But for Trent songcraft is a big aspect of the whole package, whereas Autechre aren't writing songs. Trent's melodies are catchy, but he repeats himself a lot, he often takes the lazy way out arrangement-wise (where song structure's concerned), and I think his lyrics are pretty awful for the most part. Some of his earlier lyrics may have been heartfelt, but it became self-parody pretty fast. But to reiterate, I do think his production ideas were second to none in the late 80's/90's. He's pretty much the reason I became interested in production.

Yep, this is true. But for Trent songcraft is a big aspect of the whole package, whereas Autechre aren't writing songs. Trent's melodies are catchy, but he repeats himself a lot, he often takes the lazy way out arrangement-wise (where song structure's concerned), and I think his lyrics are pretty awful for the most part. Some of his earlier lyrics may have been heartfelt, but it became self-parody pretty fast. But to reiterate, I do think his production ideas were second to none in the late 80's/90's. He's pretty much the reason I became interested in production.

Interesting. Pretty Hate Machine is my least favourite NIN album (especially when he uses a nursery rhyme in a lyric), but I've really enjoyed most releases of his since then. While everything between that and Year Zero did get a bit "losing your religion depressed you? Still?" they're still great. Specifically, the structure of the tracks in The Downward Spiral seems kind of interesting to me, as when you're expecting a bridge that leads back into the chorus, they often go off on an entirely different tangent, which isn't something you hear that often, much less in music that's (compared to Autechre and the like, at least) relatively accessible. Plus the leitmotif style echoes of various themes is pretty neat, and unexpected given the rock context.

Interesting. Pretty Hate Machine is my least favourite NIN album (especially when he uses a nursery rhyme in a lyric), but I've really enjoyed most releases of his since then. While everything between that and Year Zero did get a bit "losing your religion depressed you? Still?" they're still great. Specifically, the structure of the tracks in The Downward Spiral seems kind of interesting to me, as when you're expecting a bridge that leads back into the chorus, they often go off on an entirely different tangent, which isn't something you hear that often, much less in music that's (compared to Autechre and the like, at least) relatively accessible. Plus the leitmotif style echoes of various themes is pretty neat, and unexpected given the rock context.

I'm not a fan of PHM either, but Broken had tremendous production. I think PHM would have been a lot more impressive had he been given the time necessary to get it there, though the lyrics would still hurt (lol @ that pic Cryptowen posted!). And you're right, he did get a lot more creative with the song structure on TDS. I really can't fault that album for anything. Broken and TDS were both landmark albums.

Archived