IGNORED

Well, BT likes Autechre...

ZoeB

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ho, you guys missed the question title, in the interview it is:

WHOSE HARD DRIVE WOULD BT LIKE TO SNEAK A PEEK AT?

BT: My number one is Autechre. What the hell are they doing?....

instead of

WHICH MUSICIAN DO YOU ADMIRE THE FXXKING MOST?

BT: My number one is Autechre, Fxxk, Yeah!

:emotawesomepm9:

I'm unfamiliar with his music, but I appreciate many of his quotes. He describes his production process very succinctly. I recall my first girlfriend liked his music (1999ish) but was embarassed to share it with me.

I vaguely recall him being in the pop charts. I think he's some douche from the the 90's who did dance pop in the same sort of style as Robert Miles, Tiesto, Spiller, etc.

I'm unfamiliar with his music, but I appreciate many of his quotes. He describes his production process very succinctly. I recall my first girlfriend liked his music (1999ish) but was embarassed to share it with me.

his process being hiring people more talented than him to do the intricate details on 'his' albums?

BT is one the same level as Flahbulb. Not really bad (production is usually pretty solid), but the music itself is just kind of meh. Sounds like music for car commercials or something.

at least Benn Jordan makes all his own tunes and doesn't farm out his hand edited glitches by throwing $ at people

Seriously now

who the fuck is bt

>>>who the fuck is "BT"

He makes electronic music. (Which should be a given considering he likes Autechre, hehe...) In WATMM terms, here are some choice quotes from interviews he's given:

I would start at... 512th notes and spline logarithmically down to 8th note triplets

My current laptop is a MacBook Pro. I've got five operating systems running on it. I use all of them literally daily.

The funniest one is my stutter edit technique. People will go, “What plug-in do you do that with?” It’s like, two bars of that usually takes me about 16 hours. There’s not a plug-in. I do that by hand. [Laughs.] Come over to my house and prepare to have carpal tunnel syndrome, get a lot of coffee in you. Sometimes it’s just hard work.

Only 18 months ago a track would take me five days to finish. But now that I’m working almost entirely in audio I have so much more control over the end product, and tracks take longer. If you listen to a track like Madskillz, it’s physically impossible to do that sort of editing if it wasn’t in audio. There’s a vinyl scratch solo, which is composed of four takes of scratching, which I’ve taken and effected. I’ve made over 2000 slices, something ridiculous like that, in a 16-bar period. I’ll take a head of a scratch, do 16th note triplets with a fade down and fade up so it doesn’t pop, batch process that so it’s a new file, flange it, put some lo-fi effect on it and go to the next thing. Next, I’ll put a delay throw on it... and it’s mad, you couldn’t possibly do all that except in audio. That’s my world now.

The program I use mostly is Reaktor which has got some insane granular synthesis-style stuff on it, and there’s another one, which Richard James put me onto called CDP. It’s an obscure program with this horrible user interface, but some of the most unbelievable sounds come out of it.

Those guys [Autechre] use a program that they don’t tend to talk about much, and it’s something I use as well called [supercollider]. You program in commands using a more rudimentary form of C++. [supercollider] has got other strange features, like what they call ‘spawn generators’, where a random event can spawn a series of other random events. So you can program the most random, mutant sequence of events. You might start with a basic building block, like a sine or a saw wave, but you can build incredibly sophisticated oscillator sync sounds which use multiple sync points. The sounds I’ve got out of [supercollider] are absolutely stunning. Between that and grain synthesis, that’s really where my head’s been at. You can hear my granular synth work on the vocal in Dreaming. I’ve shagged that vocal left, right and centre with Reaktor and CDP. And you have these mad particle clouds which will appear in stereo for a second, that I’ll sweep around or Q-sound them around and they’re gone. You’ll hear reverse vocal trails that will pull up into the vocal, followed by stutter edits and then revert back to normal again.

I’ll settle on a tempo I’m working at, experiment with some loops and get a vibe happening... Once it’s in ProTools I like to EQ every part of the loop. Especially if you’re coming off vinyl, you don’t want any 40Hz or 20Hz rumble. So I’ll shelve off the extreme low end, then I’ll compress the loop as a whole and cut it up into its component pieces – kick drum one, kick drum two, open hi-hat, snare etc. Then I’ll take those pieces and EQ the bass out of the snare and hi-hats, but leave the bass and the kick drum alone. Then I’ll bounce all the constituent parts back together and time correct them. After I have four or five loops like that I’ll start using plug-ins and get into some weird shit, or I’ll use a Mutator or Sherman filter bank, and put together a rhythm from there. At this point I usually bounce all the various rhythm lines down to two or three stereo tracks, so if I want to do some crazy edits after the track’s been arranged, I can save time by not replicating the edits over and over.

In short, he's a musician I find inspirational like Wendy Carlos, Aphex Twin and Autechre because he clearly puts a lot of work into his music. Surprisingly, though, people here don't seem to like him, apparently because of his hair.

I bet ae secretly envy bt's...hair

sorry to be a broken record but i don't think Wendy Carlos, Aphex or Autechre paid people to mouse click all day for their music to sound 'intricate' and then lie in interviews about how many slices you edited by hand. Fucking lol at how many advanced sound design references he name drops, but i won't believe he actually knows how to use Reaktor, Kyma, CDP or supercollider until i see him using it myself (all probably lies). Why don't I like BT? Because i know people who did a bunch of manual labor sound design (because he was incapable of doing it himself) for his albums and weren't credited properly. They also say that he personally is an asshole and is delusional about his own level of talent. This person also said that all these slices he 'edits' are actually mostly edited by other younger people who he pays. This person will go unnamed...

lol at btmusic being the end result of all that sound design regardless of who did it. Also sound design is annoying in general, like I think the Kyma webpage namedropped LORD OF THE RINGS VOICE MORPHING as the primary use of something which obviously has a lot of potential. Meanwhile snares makes all his albums in modplug tracker

Edit: warning boring personal stuff/opinion

that's not a diss at autechre, but just saying they'd make interesting sounds one way or another. And who knows what aphex actually uses (reason fruityloops). I still haven't felt limited by the modular synth plugin I use. Hell I would still do a hell of a lot of stuff with DETUNING if that's the only tool/effect I had. Just saying sound design is kind of evil (btw Hollywood likes it)

ok I do like some weird shit like 7th notes or whatever but when I look for a feature I try to find the most musical/convenient to use sort of plugin/vst/add-on/whatever. Having a natural/intuitive workflow is so much more important to me than fft spectral convolution etc. If I could get a hardware modular I'm not sure if I would because how the hell do you save a patch in hardware? Just write a diagram on a sticky note or what. Mostly I chalk any desire for it personally to the LIFESTYLE being electronic music guy must be surrounded by machinery wires etc. I usually work on music when I'm out on laptop with headphones anyway. I think that's a lot more fun, people being oblivious to what kind of sounds I'm making while in a public place

yeah I just can't get over how amazingly douchey he looks. I don't think it's being superficial, I mean he even has "the smirk". Looks like he's a dj from a cruise line or something...

The tunes posted in this thread are kinda cool though, in the popular vein of say Hybrid. But it's very hard for me to imagine a guy like bt making them. If he truly does, then it's truly a wonder of nature...

?

BT is one the same level as Flahbulb. Not really bad (production is usually pretty solid), but the music itself is just kind of meh. Sounds like music for car commercials or something.

at least Benn Jordan makes all his own tunes and doesn't farm out his hand edited glitches by throwing $ at people

That's true. I was just talking about the sound of the music.

Archived