My number one is Autechre. What the hell are they doing? I make
records for a living. What are those guys doing? If you read this, call
me. [Laughs.] It’s the most spectacular sound design I’ve heard on
anything, ever, anywhere. Autechre records are, from beginning to end,
spectacular. And it’s heady, intellectual music. For electronic music,
it’s like wanky jazz, you know what I mean? The only people that can
listen to wanky jazz are jazz musicians. It’s like that for electronic
musicians, it’s the sort of thing you play to your friends, and they’re
like, you’re a complete frickin’ geek, dude, this makes no sense at all.

But as someone that just loves the process of building sounds, and the
different sound design techniques — I mean, building whole rhythms based
on, you know, phase vocoding, where you can hear they started with like
a simple kick-snare pattern, then using all these phase vocoding
time-stretch algorithms to elongate these simple, clippy, you know,
hundred sample sounds, they make these unbelievable collages of sound.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just thought it was nice that an artist I like likes another artist I like. Autechre aren't exactly that well known, and I thought you might appreciate learning there's another well respected musician who likes them. Wow, you guys are so negative... :P

Thanks for sharing that, ZoeB. I'm not a fan of bt, but I'm glad that he's into Autechre for the right reasons. That quote raises my estimation of him a bit.

I just thought it was nice that an artist I like likes another artist I like. Autechre aren't exactly that well known, and I thought you might appreciate learning there's another well respected musician who likes them. Wow, you guys are so negative... :P

I think you underestimate how widely renowned Autechre are in the music making circles, especially those who are more inclined towards music technology and sound engineering.

who the fuck is "BT"

try google.

the first result is his website, the third result is the wiki article about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_(musician)

Basically he makes electronic music, most of which I would define as "terrible, cheesy rave anthems". Every once in a while he does something I can respect, like This Binary Universe.

I like a few BT tracks.

He did this which was pretty cool, turns into nice old-school breaks stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa0IJmSBW08

He also did some trance tracks with Paul van Dyk, but "remember" and "dreaming" were deemed by many as classics within the genre....

*edit*

"Quite good" that he rates Autechre as his no. 1 producers for electronic music.

Well, BT actually has a place in underground electronic music history thanks to Carl Craig

his remix is a detroit techno classic

http://youtu.be/czyWgdbID_k

And partly because of this remix by early Deep Dish, NY deep house (there are many versions)

http://youtu.be/5Ft-8ZQRMm0

ZoeB and BT, sitting in a tree...

listening to autechre together

I'd love to sit in a tree and listen to Autechre. I used to sit in trees a lot, as a youngster I was addicted to climbing them. Though back in those days I was listening to this and not Autechre

I loved the quote -- he likes them for what I think are the same reasons many of us like them. So ... he's one of us! Now, which one ... I bet Alcofribas, faggot.

I think you underestimate how widely renowned Autechre are in the music making circles, especially those who are more inclined towards music technology and sound engineering.

Oh, I'm sure they're renowned in music making circles. (Hence it's not really that surprising that BT, or for that matter, Trent Reznor likes them.) When I say they're not exactly that well known, I mean that most people aren't in music making circles. Most people just watch MTV. Which doesn't play music.

Seriously now

who the fuck is bt

who the fuck is "BT"

He makes electronic music. (Which should be a given considering he likes Autechre, hehe...) In WATMM terms, here are some choice quotes from interviews he's given:

I would start at... 512th notes and spline logarithmically down to 8th note triplets

My current laptop is a MacBook Pro. I've got five operating systems running on it. I use all of them literally daily.

The funniest one is my stutter edit technique. People will go, “What plug-in do you do that with?” It’s like, two bars of that usually takes me about 16 hours. There’s not a plug-in. I do that by hand. [Laughs.] Come over to my house and prepare to have carpal tunnel syndrome, get a lot of coffee in you. Sometimes it’s just hard work.

Only 18 months ago a track would take me five days to finish. But now that I’m working almost entirely in audio I have so much more control over the end product, and tracks take longer. If you listen to a track like Madskillz, it’s physically impossible to do that sort of editing if it wasn’t in audio. There’s a vinyl scratch solo, which is composed of four takes of scratching, which I’ve taken and effected. I’ve made over 2000 slices, something ridiculous like that, in a 16-bar period. I’ll take a head of a scratch, do 16th note triplets with a fade down and fade up so it doesn’t pop, batch process that so it’s a new file, flange it, put some lo-fi effect on it and go to the next thing. Next, I’ll put a delay throw on it... and it’s mad, you couldn’t possibly do all that except in audio. That’s my world now.

The program I use mostly is Reaktor which has got some insane granular synthesis-style stuff on it, and there’s another one, which Richard James put me onto called CDP. It’s an obscure program with this horrible user interface, but some of the most unbelievable sounds come out of it.

Those guys [Autechre] use a program that they don’t tend to talk about much, and it’s something I use as well called [supercollider]. You program in commands using a more rudimentary form of C++. [supercollider] has got other strange features, like what they call ‘spawn generators’, where a random event can spawn a series of other random events. So you can program the most random, mutant sequence of events. You might start with a basic building block, like a sine or a saw wave, but you can build incredibly sophisticated oscillator sync sounds which use multiple sync points. The sounds I’ve got out of [supercollider] are absolutely stunning. Between that and grain synthesis, that’s really where my head’s been at. You can hear my granular synth work on the vocal in Dreaming. I’ve shagged that vocal left, right and centre with Reaktor and CDP. And you have these mad particle clouds which will appear in stereo for a second, that I’ll sweep around or Q-sound them around and they’re gone. You’ll hear reverse vocal trails that will pull up into the vocal, followed by stutter edits and then revert back to normal again.

I’ll settle on a tempo I’m working at, experiment with some loops and get a vibe happening... Once it’s in ProTools I like to EQ every part of the loop. Especially if you’re coming off vinyl, you don’t want any 40Hz or 20Hz rumble. So I’ll shelve off the extreme low end, then I’ll compress the loop as a whole and cut it up into its component pieces – kick drum one, kick drum two, open hi-hat, snare etc. Then I’ll take those pieces and EQ the bass out of the snare and hi-hats, but leave the bass and the kick drum alone. Then I’ll bounce all the constituent parts back together and time correct them. After I have four or five loops like that I’ll start using plug-ins and get into some weird shit, or I’ll use a Mutator or Sherman filter bank, and put together a rhythm from there. At this point I usually bounce all the various rhythm lines down to two or three stereo tracks, so if I want to do some crazy edits after the track’s been arranged, I can save time by not replicating the edits over and over.

In short, he's a musician I find inspirational like Wendy Carlos, Aphex Twin and Autechre because he clearly puts a lot of work into his music. Surprisingly, though, people here don't seem to like him, apparently because of his hair.

I bet ae secretly envy bt's...hair

not trying to rustle up trouble here but what little I've heard of bt's music sounds boring as hell, it has nothing to do with his hair.

didn't richard devine ghost produce for him or am I making shit up?

From an interview published back in 2005:

My number one is Autechre. What the hell are they doing? I make

records for a living. What are those guys doing? If you read this, call

me. [Laughs.] It’s the most spectacular sound design I’ve heard on

anything, ever, anywhere. Autechre records are, from beginning to end,

spectacular. And it’s heady, intellectual music. For electronic music,

it’s like wanky jazz, you know what I mean? The only people that can

listen to wanky jazz are jazz musicians. It’s like that for electronic

musicians, it’s the sort of thing you play to your friends, and they’re

like, you’re a complete frickin’ geek, dude, this makes no sense at all.

But as someone that just loves the process of building sounds, and the

different sound design techniques — I mean, building whole rhythms based

on, you know, phase vocoding, where you can hear they started with like

a simple kick-snare pattern, then using all these phase vocoding

time-stretch algorithms to elongate these simple, clippy, you know,

hundred sample sounds, they make these unbelievable collages of sound.

who cares... BT sucks

I don't find him horribly offensive. Some of his stuff is pretty good and he obviously knows his shit. Just because he isn't making elusive super-IDM with his skills doesn't mean he's a terrible person. IDM elitism is getting really boring.

Archived