IGNORED

stupid first world achievements and successes

eugene

Guest disparaissant
the part for my computer came in! now I get to pay out the ass to get it fixed! hurrah!

You have the part, do it yoself and save major monz.

the labor for it is negligible compared to the price of the part. And doing it myself would void the warranty. :(

Guest disparaissant

well truthfully i could have just gotten the part and installed it in like 20 minutes but ffffuuuuuck the warranty on this piece is really good (DESPITE NOT COVERING THE FUCKING SCREEN WHICH CRACKED OF ITS FUCKING OWN ACCORD) and i'd rather not lose out on that.

Finally got a USB-powered cooling pad for my laptop and already seeing better performance. It doesn't get hot now like it did before, all this time.

Also found an 8GB RAM card online specific to my 4.5 y/o laptop, so I can double its speed from the current 4GB. Have to wait til next payday to place the order tho.

Ah, I knew overheating one's laptop can wreck the insides but I didn't know keeping 'er cooled actually had a tangible performance boost. My sister has a usb cooler that never gets used so I'm totally going to start using that when I'm running DAWs and performance-heavy stuff.

Apparently it might be possible to see the aurora borealis over Northern Ireland tonight so I'm going on a road trip with some friends with tunes and drinks and weed to find somewhere without any light pollution. Should be awesome :emotawesomepm9:

You get the aurora there too? That's cool. Tourists like to flock here in Alaska every winter to come see it too, particularly folks from Japan.

Yeah the USB cooler I bought does seem to improve my laptop's performance. But better yet, the RAM upgrade I ordered last week should be arriving in a few days.

We don't normally get it, no. Last week's thing was because of some sort of abnormal solar event, apparently. In the event it was too cloudy and we saw fuck-all. One day...

From what I understand the flare failed to react with the magnetic field as expected, so no one got much of a show.

Guest disparaissant

SOOOOO i went to the apple store today to get my computer fixed.

first, i was told it would take between 1 and 3 days. i get home, sit around for an hour, receive some hentai and an xbox headset from amazon by mistake, then get a call telling me my computer is already done.

drive all the way back to the apple store, wait around for 10 minutes for them to help me.

the guy comes out with my computer. i've got my card in my hand, ready to pay out the ass for a new screen.

he says "okay, here's your computer. it looks like it was all under warranty, so i'll just have you sign here."

i'm like "UM." and sign my name.

he goes "any questions"

i'm like "NOPE BYE"

so yeah. $662.86 repair for free because it was somehow under warranty all of the sudden! i'll TAKE IT.

Guest disparaissant

somewhere in my general geological vicinity, there is an extremely irate man pacing his mother's basement, wondering why the hell his amazon shipment is marked as "delivered" and yet he is not currently watching hentai and/or yelling at n00bs on xbl.

Now you have hentai and a working computer! That's like a beam of light shooting out the top of Maslow's pyramid.

flol

For the good karma of getting your apple stuff fixed for free, you should fess up to amazon (before they figure it out anyway. Well after you've ripped the discs ;-p

Speaking of good Karma... and this is similar to her situation...

I ordered my workout supplements when they were on sale from bodybuilding.com. Reg price 94.95$, sale price $57.95. When it arrived, I submitted a complaint because the powder was hard like a hockey puck, unscoopable. I fixed it with a steak knife lol.

Anyways, my account rep issued me $100 worth of credit as an apology, and I even told the guy that's WAY more than I spent and he said they're committed to excellent service and I've been an excellent customer etc.

So now I buy 2 tubs of the stuff. They DISAPPEAR during shipping. So I call and my account rep says it looks like he will have to issue a claim with the carrier, UPS, but for now he will re-ship the 2 tubs.

The re-shipment arrives.

2 weeks later, an extra package shows up, it's the original shipment! I called the account rep and said I didn't want to look like I was scamming them or something and he said after viewing the shipment movement he can tell it wasn't my fault, but for being such an honest guy I can keep it all.

So I got almost $500 worth of stuff for $57.95.

Moral, honesty pays!

But yeah rip the hentai first. lol

Guest disparaissant

i sent an email to amazon explaining the situation. kind of proud of this sentence, from the email:

I'm just worried that somewhere in my general geological vicinity, there is a very disappointed man wondering why his package is marked "shipped" and yet he is not currently pwning noobs while watching smutty anime about - and i quote your product description - women with "watermelon-sized gazongas."

Got a form email back though :( They want me to print a label and find a box and stuff and I'm just like UGH because I don't have a printer. So, because I am feeling obnoxious, I'm going to see if they'll credit my amazon account with $.06 because that's how much it's going to cost me to print the label.

Yeah, it shouldn't cost you anything to return their product. And they really should give you a gift certificate for the trouble, which i would ask for by the way. In a nice way of course, don't be obnoxious, but remember if you don't look you won't find, If you don't ask you won't get.

even with some pretty extreme costs this year (my dads prosthetic leg) I've managed to pull a month long trip to peru out of my butt.

Going trekking through the andes, dunebuggying in the desert, seeing machu picchu..... I'm so stoked.

I guess the success here is I'm managing to see the world while I'm young =)

Guest disparaissant

i got a job offer from my girlfriend's dad's coworker???

she wants me to do tech work for their company. they make computer systems that are set up to monitor old people who want to live independently - like, they have motion sensors and reminder systems and integration with wristbands that monitor heart rate and blood pressure. it's pretty cool stuff and she's pretty insistent that i come in and check it out.

it's not guaranteed, since she has to run it by the CEO but she's going to introduce me to him tomorrow, too haha.

this could be great.

i think i ended up getting this offer because i have been posting a lot on facebook about messing with the RPi i got, and they want to use the RPi for some of their sensor applications because of the GPIO accessibility and stuff? totally rad.

Edited by disparaissant

Well I guess Disp pls post when you are the CTO of a billion dollar med conglomerate. Congrats on the possibility though, getting rewarded for nerdiness is one of life's great triumphs.

Managed to get 3 bottles of wine and a case of beer across the border today, when we're only supposed to bring back 1 bottle of wine (or the equivalent).

Thank you America for your cheap booze.

However you can keep your portion sizes. Seriously - went to red robin and ordered a burger - was a struggle to finish and then I felt ill - luckily i shat it all out about an hour after consumption. So that's another FWS!

However you can keep your portion sizes. Seriously - went to red robin and ordered a burger - was a struggle to finish and then I felt ill - luckily i shat it all out about an hour after consumption. So that's another FWS!

we had an ex-Marine working in our office for a while who talked all the time about how insufferably small the portions are in Australia :shrug: I guess American stomachs can handle it.

we had an ex-Marine working in our office for a while who talked all the time about how insufferably small the portions are in Australia :shrug: I guess American stomachs can handle it.

I mean the food itself was actually not bad - but seriously cut the portion sizes in half. Even the sandwich we shared for lunch at Mt. Baker was ridiculously huge. Might reduce some of the incidences of morbid obesity.