IGNORED

Korg Volca series

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea same, i want this one. the other 2 i dunno, but the keys looks like it will be tons of fun.

a lot more midi control than i thought..

sequence & mangle it with the Machinedrum, feed the result into Analog Four? yup.

Very mixed information about US release dates on the internet, but I had heard that Sweetwater pushed their dates to early October, and they're supposed to be in the first group of distributors getting them. Also been hearing some stuff about them coming out one at a time, starting with Beats, but I'm not sure why Korg would do that since lots of people bought in bundles.

Guest Hanratty

some advice needed, if you please:

I figure these Volcas work best as a set, so if I get one, I'd prefer to get all three. They all look awesome. But this leads me to some problems to work out because I've been working with software and my laptop for a while now. I would need something to hear them all at the same time: a mixer or some kind of sound interface maybe? This will cost some more and I figure with a mixer I'm spending around $600, plus some wires. And then I have to think why am I spending $600 when Reaktor can easily do far more than the volcas, I just have to stare at the computer to do it.

What would you get if you had three volcas, a macbook, and nothing else? I dont want to listen to them from their built in speakers.

imo you're not doing anything wrong by getting a small mixer, you'll always have some use for one, e.g. for submixes or something.

you definitely won't need a 600$ mixer for the volcas, maybe look for a cheap 4-channel one with built-in USB audio.

But, imo, if you're planning to shop all the Volcas + accessories for about 1000$, you could just as well look at a different class of instruments.

ah sorry I realize now that you meant 600$ for everything, not just the mixer.

Guest Hanratty

ah sorry I realize now that you meant 600$ for everything, not just the mixer.

right, i thought about $600 for everything. but for me, that's still a lot of money.

About the comparison with Reaktor : sure you can do a lot more with it than with those three synth units, but if you experienced electronic music creation only through a computer so far, getting a couple of such little pieces of hardware might introduce you to a new perspective in music making (where your hands plays a more direct role than they do with a mouse and a keyboard). That's just my point of view, because it's been really insightful for me to start playing with an Electribe after ~3 years of Renoise-vst-Reaktor programming !

the electribe is what got me out of the computer initially. Personally i think investing in one of those rather than a volca is the way to go. Analog synthesis is 'neat' and so is having a little box the size of this to sequence with but none of these individually will give you the same pleasure and fun factor as a single electribe imo

the electribe is what got me out of the computer initially. Personally i think investing in one of those rather than a volca is the way to go. Analog synthesis is 'neat' and so is having a little box the size of this to sequence with but none of these individually will give you the same pleasure and fun factor as a single electribe imo

I've been considering getting an ER-1 soon after getting the Volcas.

I can see your point there but it's good to take in consideration that the whole functionality of the Electribe is imo harder to use in the context of a well achieved track. I mean the main asset of it is that it gives you a simple "everything under your hands" control with enough tracks / track types to make possibly well elaborated songs, but the workflow of it isn't any good for proper mixing and there's a chance that your Electribe songs will sound kinda draft at some point (at least I'm talking about my experience with the ESX). That's why I use my unit more like a "draft box", where I can jam easily and find some ideas, but as soon as I get something I want to push further, I'm reprogramming the most part of the song on the computer. I also use the Electribe as an expander (it receives midi from my computer-based tracks) and it's doing it really well, the controls available are pretty cool (even if the sound itself is not always crazy).

So yeah the suggestion of an Electribe is imo a very good one but if you're more into the idea of "enhancing" the software-based setup you already work with, the Volcas might be a better idea (probably a better sound, and their purpose is not to be autonomous workstations but rather separate sound modules). Although buying the Volcas + a mixer is probably more than 2x the price of a secondhand ESX (or EMX).

No, but Moog Audio in Canada just said that they are at the mercy of Korg since they keep pushing the release date by 2 weeks. Last I heard is start of October.

Archived