IGNORED

wedding music question for married WATMMites

takeshi

Anyone here have some IDMs playing at their wedding? Apparently, a certain percentage of the music at our wedding will have to be of a genre I'm not into much, to appease the fiance's family. So, I figure if I have to listen to shit I don't like they can stand listening to some Jega or whatever. What DJ I'll find to play this weird mish-mash of shit I have no idea. Anyway, anyone have any stories of hearing IDM at a wedding or trying to get some played at your own?

Anyone here have some IDMs playing at their wedding? Apparently, a certain percentage of the music at our wedding will have to be of a genre I'm not into much, to appease the fiance's family. So, I figure if I have to listen to shit I don't like they can stand listening to some Jega or whatever. What DJ I'll find to play this weird mish-mash of shit I have no idea. Anyway, anyone have any stories of hearing IDM at a wedding or trying to get some played at your own?

for my wedding in 2005, my wife and i made a list of do-not-play artists/styles and also made a mix cd that we had the dj play songs from between songs of his choosing. most of it was classic stuff (beatles, dylan, kinks), some indie stuff (pavement, cornershop, built to spill), but i also snuck in boards of canada (everything you do is a balloon) and aphex twin (ageispolis, xtal), pretty tame stuff. the songs were so mixed in with all the other standard, thankfully mostly bearable wedding stuff that they just slipped by without much notice, except by those who knew and appreciated them.

i wanted to get more in there, but was happy to hear those tracks a couple times in the evening.

the tracks fit the mood too, it was a wonderful warm summer afternoon and evening at my wife's uncle's house on a lake.

Guest cult fiction

for my wedding in 2005, my wife and i made a list of do-not-play artists/styles and also made a mix cd that we had the dj play songs from between songs of his choosing. most of it was classic stuff (beatles, dylan, kinks), some indie stuff (pavement, cornershop, built to spill), but i also snuck in boards of canada (everything you do is a balloon) and aphex twin (ageispolis, xtal), pretty tame stuff. the songs were so mixed in with all the other standard, thankfully mostly bearable wedding stuff that they just slipped by without much notice, except by those who knew and appreciated them.

i wanted to get more in there, but was happy to hear those tracks a couple times in the evening.

the tracks fit the mood too, it was a wonderful warm summer afternoon and evening at my wife's uncle's house on a lake.

Very similar playlist at our wedding... I highly recommend some Zombies - Odessey and Oracle, such a beautiful record and perfect for a summer wedding.

Some tracks off the new Bibio might be nice...

Very similar playlist at our wedding... I highly recommend some Zombies - Odessey and Oracle, such a beautiful record and perfect for a summer wedding.

Some tracks off the new Bibio might be nice...

ha, we had "this will be our year" and "care of cell 44" (odd choice, i know) on there! also, believe it or not, "bewley in white".

we did a 2 part mix that started of with sweet vibes of fleetwood mac etc going into 80s electro and acid house etc. It's like 3 hours long or something. Thats a good compromise/balance I think. There are some great IDM tunes for those sorts of occasions though Xtal is pretty good etc.

My wedding was exclusively late 80s and early 90s dance pop.

It was all Technotronic, Crystal Waters, Stereo MCs, Black Box, Marky Mark... that kinda thing.

It was totally the right choice.

Everyone went nuts. It was a 100% successful dance party for all ages.

One regret I had was that I didn't have my DJ play any slow songs. It would have been sick to follow the same theme and play ballads from the era like Boyz 2 Men and Extreme. Middle-school-slow-dance style.

There is my age for you.

2 weeks ago at my wedding we had a "chillout-ambient-drone" mix playing in the background during the meal / afternoon. Will stick up the list later if you are interested.

We hired a band playing original reggae tunes that went down really well, proper talented guys - http://bytherivers.bandcamp.com/

Then we had a hired DJ who was under strict instructions to play 80s and 90s pop / dance stuff which was good.

We had a couple of chilled tracks before the service, a mixture of classical stuff and electronic stuff.

I didn't have much IDM in the reception, mainly just stuck to indie music, stuff that both me and my wife really liked (she doesn't like much IDM).

we did a 2 part mix that started of with sweet vibes of fleetwood mac etc going into 80s electro and acid house etc. It's like 3 hours long or something. Thats a good compromise/balance I think. There are some great IDM tunes for those sorts of occasions though Xtal is pretty good etc.

Were you two your own DJs? Did you play any muziq?

also: avril 14

Were you two your own DJs? Did you play any muziq?

also: avril 14

we had a fairly early wedding, so played music (ready made mix) after people ate/ did speeches etc when friends/family who weren't at the ceremony arrived then at say 8ish? we had friends dj but then we had friends doing 'ipod sets' which was pretty funny.

I think you gotta have the music that makes you happy and a little silly, dont worry what your family think etc it's your day after all.

Highlight of the evening was seeing my 85 year old great aunt dancing to a garage set that turned into footwork.

We had our wedding and reception at an old country club, of which my wife's great uncle was one of the founding members. One of the drawbacks (only one really) was we had to go with their preferred DJ. He was older guy and ended up being great, all of our guests loved him but it didn't leave us with much choice on music. The main problem was he had a set of Top40 CDs and pop classics (and also a folder of South Asian music to DJ actually) but anything I wanted to provide he insisted on downloading via iTunes. I just didn't have time to curate a DJ set, but I'm sure you could find a more hip and less traditional DJ with credentials who would be quicker and more apt at playing out IDM and similar music.

That said I had New Order's "Ceremony" played and we danced to Nick Drake's "Pink Moon." And he also played Sir Mix A Lot's "Baby Got Back" at the perfect moment, so no complaints here.

I have told my girlfriend that I would refuse to get married unless we only play "Vulgar Display of Power" by Pantera for the entire reception. She initially refused, but i was like 'Are you talking to me? No way, punk. I don't think so'.

We have yet to set a date.

:unsure:

I'm not sure about why someone would want to have idm played at their wedding. It's about people - basically your guests - having a party, right? Depending in your guests, why feed them red wine if they tend to like white? What's the deal?

im getting married to techno, and everyone can fucking bite it. if anyone thinks im doing something as awesome as getting married while listening to 90's pop, or fucking disco then il just live my life single. and alone. and in misery.

I think you all love cheesy tunes that you sing all night to, I think you just say "I ONLY WANT IDM" to impress other watmmers.

Punch-Jiggle.gif

Also, a night of IDM would be so boring in a room (lets face it its not going to be some cool dark club) filled with kids running round screaming and old people showing off moved from the 'jive' era.

Guest Drahken

My wife and I hired a Karaoke setup for our wedding. Neither of us are big on dancing and it was mostly a family gathering so it worked out well. Watching drunk friends and family sing was entertaining. It was a bit of a gag too as everyone had heard of my 'epic' karaoke skills from when I was in Japan and could only sing one song.

That song would be Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr., for the curious.

My wife and I hired a Karaoke setup for our wedding. Neither of us are big on dancing and it was mostly a family gathering so it worked out well. Watching drunk friends and family sing was entertaining. It was a bit of a gag too as everyone had heard of my 'epic' karaoke skills from when I was in Japan and could only sing one song.

That song would be Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr., for the curious.

This is awesome

Archived