IGNORED

what will the next AFX release sound like?

Guest skibby

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

give me a break.

no offense, i'm just in brutally honest mode at the moment, as zephyr can attest. I'm quite happy as long as it's polished and not a fucking solo piano, suspended or otherwise.

Wish he'd once again drink from the fountain that enabled him to create Selected Ambient Works II, though I guess that's probably not in the cards.

Something along the lines of the slick shiny produced analord sound, and with a more Selected Ambient Works II approach would be nice.

failing that, farts it is. Entitled "smlyfrtsgbng"

what you describe is pretty much Goodbyte Rute sounded like to me from Rushup Edge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81ZgDM_w74Y

i highly doubt it was a pisstake, but it was definitely an intentional concept where he stripped his composition style down to the barest essentials. As much as i'm not a fan of the whole Roland synth fetish, i still think Analord is very top tier in terms of music made on hardware. Obviously though there was a certain point where he consciously wanted to avoid being lumped into the breakcore and drill scenes that exploded after Drukqs. Analord has a significant influence on electronic music, i think it started a new trend of returning back to hardware.

i don't see why the remote orchestra is so exciting, it's almost exactly what the beatles did for the end of 'a day in the life'... orchestral directions to 'slide up to here, reach a crescendo', 'mute this bit', and so on. xenakis did far more adventurous things when it comes to directing an orchestra without specific tonal notation, and at best it kinda sounds like an amateurish attempt at ligeti-type stuff. the swinging piano thing was pretty fucking cool, though.

Well if his unreleased live tracks are any indicator it will be a nice lush dancey techno ambientish stuff with a large helping of sexy basslines.

If Afx were to release some new material, I think it would sound something like this:

https://soundcloud.com/trackermatte/bulgur-10

now please post a comment or song that speculates on your own behalf as to what you imagine 'fantasy' new afx stuff would sound like.

its a nice a release but new aphex will always sound further developed than the stuff he released before. This is just a pretty good cover of old aphex but there is no progression in style. Just more of what we have

Do people generally feel that the Analord series sounded more developed than previous afx releases? I'm not even sure that 'developed' is the right term. Is it based on complexity? Or textures? Melody? Programming?

That's a great question for watmmers.. I get the sense that many people on the forum feel that Analord series are something extra special, maybe because of the whole acid-purist thing. I, personally, could never get behind that. I think there is some utter genious and beauty within the series, but most of it sounds so similar to me, but then again, the whole endless hardcore 303 squawk underneath 808s style may just not be my cup of tea. That's also how I felt about The Tuss.. I respect the brilliance of the work, but musically, and from a personal listening standpoint, I'm kinda of meehh about it.. There are select Analord tracks that are unique/weird that break from the standard Analord 303 vibe though that I need to rediscover. Maybe I'll make my own custom Chosen Lords mix (:

I was always under the impression that the whole analord old-school acid sound was something of a "piss-take" (as they say), whereas RDJ was always annoyed by people copying him, so he decided to release some old school sounding crap so that all the tools would copy that instead. in fact, i thought i heard that here.

HAHAHAH! That's fucking awesome if that was rdj's real intention. fuck, he just keeps getting more and more brilliant , the more i learn about him, or at least the speculations about him lolol (either he keeps getting more brilliant in my eyes or his fans theories keep expanding into awesome complexities- probably a little bit o both)

RDJ is such a genius, and such an excellent troll. I've been told his entire existence is actually a troll. He's probably trolling us right now. In fact, I've heard he's not actually human, he just manifested himself as human so all us pathetic lifeforms would copy him and be humans, too. You just gotta keep looking for irony upon irony upon snideness upon piss-taking until the Monolith overtakes you in your Victorian bedroom.

#nextlevel #igetit #imintheknow #insidersonly #laughingwithrdj #meandrdjinthesametreefortlaughingatlosers

:rhubear3::rdjgrin::rhubear1::rdjgrin::rhubear2::braindance:

#thicke

Well if his unreleased live tracks are any indicator it will be a nice lush dancey techno ambientish stuff with a large helping of sexy basslines.

like this?

This isn't Aphex quality imo.

I agree. Half this guys postcount is trying to get people to listen to trackermatte. So god dang annoying

oh this i just the saddest post I've ever seen on a forum... WTF cares... we'll all find out when he releases something...hopefully this decade but I'm not holding my breath...

i highly doubt it was a pisstake, but it was definitely an intentional concept where he stripped his composition style down to the barest essentials. As much as i'm not a fan of the whole Roland synth fetish, i still think Analord is very top tier in terms of music made on hardware. Obviously though there was a certain point where he consciously wanted to avoid being lumped into the breakcore and drill scenes that exploded after Drukqs. Analord has a significant influence on electronic music, i think it started a new trend of returning back to hardware.

i don't see why the remote orchestra is so exciting, it's almost exactly what the beatles did for the end of 'a day in the life'... orchestral directions to 'slide up to here, reach a crescendo', 'mute this bit', and so on. xenakis did far more adventurous things when it comes to directing an orchestra without specific tonal notation, and at best it kinda sounds like an amateurish attempt at ligeti-type stuff. the swinging piano thing was pretty fucking cool, though.

honestly this is how I felt about analord at first, and in retrospect the series of Analord is hugely ground breaking and very accomplished in many ways but a cynical view could deduce it to this..

"I don't see why analog acid throwback music is so exciting, it's almost exactly the same as what ceephax has been doing and it's just a homage to classic dance music using acidic sounds and 303s. David Tudor and Morton Subotnick did far more adventurous things with analog synths and sequencing"

I'm not holding Aphex Twin up to this golden standard of being some sort of ultimate innovator experimental musician, and even if it is Ligeti-type stuff, who else is doing that type of stuff now with the same musical background and creativity that RDJ has? I'd be hard pressed to find any. Plus this is probably an ongoing in process method he's approaching, it being his first attempt it seems rather harsh to say that well it doesn't sound as good as Ligeti or Xenakis, so it's unworthy. I think it's far more exciting and impressive of a leap into new territory that I've rarely seen from any electronic musician. And I'm honestly surprised more of his fans weren't or still aren't excited by this potential new direction. I will stand firmly in the belief that it is very fucking exciting.

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

Perhaps each member of this forum should compose a fake Aphex track each, then we can put the best onto a compilation album and troll the internet with it.

great idea!! and perhaps we send the best song to RdJ himself, and we ask them to play them live, to confuse the internet, and to start conspiracies :rhubear3:

Guest skibby

like this?

This isn't Aphex quality imo.

I agree. Half this guys postcount is trying to get people to listen to trackermatte. So god dang annoying

sorry, i was under the belief that ghostwritten afx tracks and/or productions were being released under all these different names, but then i found out there were people intentionally trying to play with that uncertainty, and i fell for it. i thought i found the next tuss, steinvord or whatever, but i miscalculated or misheard.

Archived