IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Thanks, Rob and Sean, for the inspiration and for continuing to raise the bar with every release. The wealth of information here is tremendous. Thanks for giving us all a little peek behind the curtain for a few days.

I noticed a mention of physical modeling and how you said you can achieve the same sorts of formant / vocal sounds using things like band-pass filters and pulse width modulation. I was listening to "Osla for n" again (incredible) and thought of the formant growling throughout the track, later being gated into more of a 4/4 groove. Is this the type of formant control you were referring to, as something you can do in Max without needing a physical modeling synth, or was much of the formant shaping of the sound already present in the source material? My apologies if I'm interpreting what I'm hearing incorrectly.

Any other question I could think of has already been answered, and I apologize if this was already touched-on. Thanks again, guys! I'll be reading through this thread for days.

Jon B (@RheyneMusic)

Edited by Rheyne

my only questions for AE, sorry if asked before

autechre, what the hell should i do with my life?

what types of objects could i attach to drumset for cool autechre sounding drumset?????

On the subject of Dune, y'all mention Jodorowsky...what do y'all think about Holy Mountain?

Gotta fav by him? (remember you mentioning a collab w/ moebius)

yeah it's good, but chaotic and ugly

i like el topo

Thanks, Rob and Sean, for the inspiration and for continuing to raise the bar with every release. The wealth of information here is tremendous. Thanks for giving us all a little peek behind the curtain for a few days.

I noticed a mention of physical modeling and how you said you can achieve the same sorts of formant / vocal sounds using things like band-pass filters and pulse width modulation. I was listening to "Osla for n" again (incredible) and thought of the formant growling throughout the track, later being gated into more of a 4/4 groove. Is this the type of formant control you were referring to, as something you can do in Max without needing a physical modeling synth, or was much of the formant shaping of the sound already present in the source material? My apologies if I'm interpreting what I'm hearing incorrectly.

Any other question I could think of has already been answered, and I apologize if this was already touched-on. Thanks again, guys! I'll be reading through this thread for days.

Jon B (@RheyneMusic)

Rheyne

http://youtube.com/rheynemusic

er that was a weird method i'd rather not disclose right now

but nah it's not 'formant synthesis' as it's normally defined

the source was white noise

On the subject of Dune, y'all mention Jodorowsky...what do y'all think about Holy Mountain?

Gotta fav by him? (remember you mentioning a collab w/ moebius)

yeah it's good, but chaotic and ugly

i like el topo

I c, topo is a lot more driftingly beautiful, both in its production and it's story.

What did you guys think of Lynch's Inland Empire?

it's my fave thing he's done

it's weird cos a lot of my mates slagged it cos of the film quality, but i reckon it appeals to me even more than film cos i like some old video art as well

the way it flows is amazing tho

it's sad that he said he won't do any more, but he's old and i like enough of his music for it not to be a huge deal. but man, he was getting so good there

Guest thisfieldisrequired

3 questions that are really just one :

Being constantly working / listening to music, do you feel it does still move you as much as when you were young teenagers, discovering everything ?

Do you think your sensitivity evolved a lot or are your obsessions pretty much still the same ?

Do you feel more creative now or in your earlier days ?

Guest thisfieldisrequired

it's weird cos a lot of my mates slagged it cos of the film quality, but i reckon it appeals to me even more than film cos i like some old video art as well

it's sad that he said he won't do any more, but he's old and i like enough of his music for it not to be a huge deal. but man, he was getting so good there

to me Inland Empire is the most Autechrian film ever, if that makes any sense. People will say it's random but it's not. Much like Lost Highway which is a much better film than Inland Empire.

Edited by thisfieldisrequired

CU Ae guys it was a pleasure. Also my Augmatic Pisspot asks for a visit, don't want to go into details though. Have a good life!

cheers sausagewater

to me Inland Empire is the most Autechrian film ever, if that makes any sense.

well that's a huge compliment

it def resonates with me in a weirdly deep way

i mean i was always a massive fan but that was like, times 10 for me

what do your parents think about your music?

also, will you name my casio hdd600 (a watch, not audio gear, sorry)?

my mum, definitely thinks its cool, she prefers say early stuff, but she's into the new stuff too. she likes FSOL and so on.

your hdd600 is called Son

Guest jasondonervan

No question, just a cheers for alerting me to this D.M.S. track as played in one of your old IBC pirate shows, I love it so much :music:

I think that's me done for questions - I've bugged you guys enough! Huge thanks to both of you nutters for going all out here over the last few days, mammoth effort and I'm sure you realise it's hugely appreciated by the old WATMM heads and newcomers.

Don't be strangers :beer:

CU Ae guys it was a pleasure. Also my Augmatic Pisspot asks for a visit, don't want to go into details though. Have a good life!

yeah thanks - u look tired, take it easy from now on ;)

1-bis) Can you name the biggest notable differences in crowd mentalities at Autechre gigs between Europe, Asia, and America?

*push*

probably a difficult question to answer i suppose

well it's never stable, and to an extent things are evening out with the internets and all

but back in the day (generally) the rave scene in america was completely different to europe

ah u know what i cba typing all this again, everything i was gonna say is already scattered ITT

3 questions that are really just one :

Being constantly working / listening to music, do you feel it does still move you as much as when you were young teenagers, discovering everything ?

Do you think your sensitivity evolved a lot or are your obsessions pretty much still the same ?

Do you feel more creative now or in your earlier days ?

yeah in a way it's easier to find things now cos there are way more chances, so in terms of it being rewarding it's actually better now than it was then

yeah obsessions are still pretty locked (i think u can tell really)

now, but only with the benefit of hindsight

No question, just a cheers for alerting me to this D.M.S. track as played in one of your old IBC pirate shows, I love it so much :music:

I think that's me done for questions - I've bugged you guys enough! Huge thanks to both of you nutters for going all out here over the last few days, mammoth effort and I'm sure you realise it's hugely appreciated by the old WATMM heads and newcomers.

Don't be strangers :beer:

ok, roger wilco

Guest Roksen Creek

What did you guys think of Lynch's Inland Empire?

It's my fave too. I'm glad you said that because I thought there was something wrong with me lol

He pushed digital video to the absolute limits. So much creativity.

I love the quality of the film, adds to the atmosphere.

What, he said he won't do anymore??? Shit I didn't know that :(

Is there any sense in which you see your work as a critique of technology, art, or mathematics?

a la John Zerzan (primitivist philosopher)

...or do you see it as a fulfillment of any of these?