IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

ylm0.
I'm Lost in Montreal because i redfall overand second peng my lowride bike.
The ipacial section of this deco Loc is so freeze 28i and now i'm Cichli with a rale Bronchus2.
My newbound reniform puls is rew(1) at a sublimit of M39 Diffain :(
It's gaekwad to ask, but should y7 r ess notwo, nofour but Nine Etchogon-S to Recury?
I could also Inhake 2 Djarum before i dropp Tewe down the Drane2 or teartear them into the Garbage because they Pen Expers soon.
Please Calbruc, Dial or bilfil and Chiastic Slide me a leterel.
Nice Altibzz with you, M62.

Greetings again! you still keep up strong, are you glad it's almost done, or could you keep on a couple of days longer? I must say this is fan-service like I've never experienced before, just super cool of you guys to do this! :)

ok so just a a couple of follow ups from previous posts.

- so Sean, while we're at the topic of Lost and SW.... any opinons on JJ. Abrams taking the SW franchise further with epVII? On imdb the original cast (Hamill, Ford, Fisher) is even rumored to reappear in their original roles. Will you watch it when it's released? or just forget that this whole thing is even happening?

- and speaking of books/literature, were any of you guys into Roald Dahl as kids? He was my childhood favourite, Willy Wonka, The BFG, the Twits and so on... so many memorable characters! his adult fiction is pretty ace as well, read anything of that?

some more random bits (a few questions from a post way back I think they were left unanwered):

- Dali or Escher? (any thoughts why you'd prefer either)

- Did you know that "pule" actually means "to fuck" in Norwegian? was that a conscious choice when naming the track or coincidence? I think it's pretty cool anyhow, and the track is great as well. It follow that pattern from Amber and Tri Repetae were you had one more ambient track towards the end of the album. It's almost like these albums (amber, tri repetae, chiastic slide) creates some kind of a narrative in a way (but then again I guess your whole discography taken as a whole, does :)

- what do you guys think of xploding plastix? like tracks such as these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnJ998Trn7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDz1Q_pxgc0

- What kind of teas are you mostly into? had noteworthy lately you'd like to recommend?

really not feeling the kazoo in here or the washboard stuff - thats totally wack, but the carpenter esque stuff with mellotronage at the beginning is nice - overall comes over as knowingly bad goofy. some sounds in it are good - like deep acoustic percs, but its not really focussing on any in particular, like needlessly switching to the wrong instrument every time i notice a good bit. seems like they're not 100% sure what they like imo.

cheers Rob, interesting views on these tracks! (tbh i'm not into music making at all, and ehm.. know very little of the technical stuff behind the process. but I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions, very interesing). . oh.. and ehm.. feel free to consider providing something on the other q's to in my post, I'm really curious about the pule track for instance! :)

oh and one more thing, I'm sure many in here are curious about this:

*** drumroll please ***

who would win a match of arm wrestling between Rob and Sean?? and a match of pool (8-ball, etc)??

sorry for all the nagging, I'm just very eagerly excited about the fact that I'm even having an interaction with the mighty AE! it feels strange kinda... in a good way of course!

yeah ok, sorry if i was too nitpicky - hot/cold those trax. oops

but yeah re: norway 'pule' - its quite a slinky number too so could be deployed to good use?

funny someone posted that æ means 'I' in finnish was it? so yeah theres probably a few

i think seans lower arms more chunky so i'd put money there if i were u. i might win pool. we'll run that test next outing and report.

Edited by Rob Ae

Guest MastaN8

Before you guys leave, I just wanted to say thank you and I'll see you from the dance floor next time you're in Seattle.

Cheers!

ok - give us a shout next time. : )

Absolutely. And thanks again to the both of you, I'm sure this endeavor has been trying at times, just know I'm sure it's meant a lot to many people and is super beneficial to this/our community.

what's the worst piece of gear you ever bought & why ?

mpc1000 with akai os preinstalled probably…. due to completely wasted potential - boring eh

Edited by Rob Ae

Before you guys leave, I just wanted to say thank you and I'll see you from the dance floor next time you're in Seattle.

Cheers!

ok - give us a shout next time. : )

Absolutely. And thanks again to the both of you, I'm sure this endeavor has been trying at times, just know I'm sure it's meant a lot to many people and is super beneficial to this/our community.

thanks, and good luck

Have you ever heard an interesting sound while out and about and sampled it with your cellphone?

Given the flexibility of software and controllers, do you still find your old hardware boxes (e.g. r8) useful?

How did you make fold4wrap5? The timing does my head in. Is the name a reference to this?

Do you ever play keyboards/pads live and record (opposed to sequencing)?

1 yeah loads

2 i keep my NMv1 v close.

3 you'll sort it i'm sure

4 yeah loads

- speaking of CPU load, could you make all the sounds at the last tour only with MSP?

[...]

most of it, some of it's g2 stuff which we'd still have to build, but yeah i reckon there's nothing too intensive there really

[...]

speaking of which, after or during the time where you made lots of stuff with the MD/MnM, have you consciously adapted functionality from these machines into your Max systems? basically emulated and expanded upon them?

I mean, imo Oversteps sounds not at all like they were used, but on Exai, I think there's several moments where it just sounds much like you've been having fun with MD ROM or RAM-resampling kind of stuff, has that certain vibe to it... e.g. deco loc, or beats in irlite (get 0)... know what i mean?

(not saying that the MD ROM stuff is the alpha & omega of sample retrig, you've obv. been messing with this sort of stuff since well before that kit came out)

I thank you (and Wetsuit thanks you).

One of my best friends who is a MASSIVE Atuechre fan (she....yes 'she'...turned me on to y'all) is about to have a baby (could be in labor at this moment) named Vivian.

Could you send them both a message of some sort?

It would mean a great deal to her.

Thank y'all soooooo much for doing this interview...it really is amazing to be able to participate in something like this.

Earlier in the thread, an analogsolutions reverb was mentioned, yet in the recent fact mag interview, rob mentioned not wanting to jump on the euro rack bandwagon or something like that.

Could you clarify?/Do you have a proper or small modular system?/What are your thoughts on eurorack/ is it relevant to you?

I asked something like this earlier but I think it got lost in the forest of questions, or maybe you answered it and I couldn't find it haha...Either way, I'd like to extend my thanks again- this thread has been really inspirational.

ylm0.

I'm Lost in Montreal because i redfall overand second peng my lowride bike.

The ipacial section of this deco Loc is so freeze 28i and now i'm Cichli with a rale Bronchus2.

My newbound reniform puls is rew(1) at a sublimit of M39 Diffain :(

It's gaekwad to ask, but should y7 r ess notwo, nofour but Nine Etchogon-S to Recury?

I could also Inhake 2 Djarum before i dropp Tewe down the Drane2 or teartear them into the Garbage because they Pen Expers soon.

Please Calbruc, Dial or bilfil and Chiastic Slide me a leterel.

Nice Altibzz with you, M62.

:D

lol 'i could also inhake 2 djarum

Edited by Rob Ae

Earlier in the thread, an analogsolutions reverb was mentioned, yet in the recent fact mag interview, rob mentioned not wanting to jump on the euro rack bandwagon or something like that.

Could you clarify?/Do you have a proper or small modular system?/What are your thoughts on eurorack/ is it relevant to you?

I asked something like this earlier but I think it got lost in the forest of questions, or maybe you answered it and I couldn't find it haha...Either way, I'd like to extend my thanks again- this thread has been really inspirational.

yeah we had the rs integrator since 2001 or 2002, but we haven't been buying loads of modules since it got trendy again

i think the track awep was asking about was from 2005 or something

my thoughts? i dunno i mean, it's cool but i think it's enabling a lot of rich stupid people at the same time

all i care about is the tunes really. play me the tunes

Guest skytree
One last question if you don't mind: Are you familiar with the project below, or similar endeavors using plants as signal transducers or biofeedback oscillators/modulators? Interested in your thoughts or personal experiences.

Pardon the lack of embed for this specific project - not sure yet if there's a way to embed Vimeo here. Quite into the idea of sampling the houseplants, and who knows, perhaps the mineral collection as well...

How did you make fold4wrap5? The timing does my head in. Is the name a reference to this?

Modey's done a bloody ace go at recreating the process here - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/30105-fold4wrap5-how-its-done-discussionarguments-thread/

yeah pretty close, not bad at all modey

yep. funny hearing it by someone else, strange feeling, well dunz

You mentioned Sunvox and Renoise but have you got any background in older trackers like Impulse or FastTracker ?

EH is now called The Splund

Favourite episode of "the trap door" ?

a useful one def, but i like them all really - a lot

Haha, me too.

Did you miss my 1st Q or is it unworthy / already answered in the thread (thought I'd read the whole thing)

Wish I could give y'all something!

Elementary questions are all I can think of for y'all...

So anyway, what's your fav color?

Edited by soma

any plans to play the newly refurbed glasgow art school?

would an artificial intelligence reunion tour be mad fun or what?

we will if we get asked

re ai: i reckon it would be a pretty strong lineup if it was all the orig people

i'd do it, if there was an easy way to do the tracks, not thought about that bit

1) What was the image used on the cover of Incunabula?

2) I've been thinking lately to make field recordings. Never done that before. What recorder would you recommend?

3) What do you say, one last shot at naming my guitar? ;p

You mentioned Sunvox and Renoise but have you got any background in older trackers like Impulse or FastTracker ?

EH is now called The Splund

Favourite episode of "the trap door" ?

a useful one def, but i like them all really - a lot

Haha, me too.

Did you miss my 1st Q or is it unworthy / already answered in the thread (thought I'd read the whole thing)

nah i haven't at all

the one everyone i know/rate uses was octamed but i never tried it. they all use renoise now

1) What was the image used on the cover of Incunabula?

2) I've been thinking lately to make field recordings. Never done that before. What recorder would you recommend?

3) What do you say, one last shot at naming my guitar? ;p

1) it was a video of rob and me which was played thru a tv out of tune and re-photographed, by daniel 72

2) i dunno much about what's good i have a habit of using absolutely anything

3) your guitar is now called enrico

One last question if you don't mind: Are you familiar with the project below, or similar endeavors using plants as signal transducers or biofeedback oscillators/modulators? Interested in your thoughts or personal experiences.

Pardon the lack of embed for this specific project - not sure yet if there's a way to embed Vimeo here. Quite into the idea of sampling the houseplants, and who knows, perhaps the mineral collection as well...

weird, i have a mate who was doing stuff like this about 10 years ago

i like the idea of it definitely

I thank you (and Wetsuit thanks you).

One of my best friends who is a MASSIVE Atuechre fan (she....yes 'she'...turned me on to y'all) is about to have a baby (could be in labor at this moment) named Vivian.

Could you send them both a message of some sort?

It would mean a great deal to her.

Thank y'all soooooo much for doing this interview...it really is amazing to be able to participate in something like this.

Good luck Vivian . if u are going into labour, play only our softer tunes to newb on arrival ok? take it easy

rB) æ

any plans to play the newly refurbed glasgow art school?

would an artificial intelligence reunion tour be mad fun or what?

we will if we get asked

re ai: i reckon it would be a pretty strong lineup if it was all the orig people

i'd do it, if there was an easy way to do the tracks, not thought about that bit

not kidding re line-up. has it ever been discussed at warp d'you know? i can't be the first to suggest it. i'd come of retirement for a gig like that!