IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Ugh just realized the bad grammar in my last question. Oh well!

Thanks for taking the time to talk with everyone here. This has been one of my favourite Q&A's I've ever read, on par to the Chris Hadfield ones. Good luck with your music!

Greetings from Mexico, thanks for all of your stuff :cry:, here are mi questions :music:

What feelings/emotions do you want to transfer in Vletrmx??

Will you ever come to Mexico? :sad:

What is your favorite Aphex Twin track?

Thanks!

The naming thing has been hilarious - every time it was like "oh, here's another naming request, they'll get pissed off man, bwahaha lol with the response"

Can you rename Earth? PLS

Also, do I really see an 'S' in Etchogon-S on the vector scope?

planet naming has been forbidden for 12 parsecs

yeah, cool eh

Guest thisfieldisrequired

3 questions that are really just one :

Being constantly working / listening to music, do you feel it does still move you as much as when you were young teenagers, discovering everything ?

Do you think your sensitivity evolved a lot or are your obsessions pretty much still the same ?

Do you feel more creative now or in your earlier days ?

1 more

2 more

3 more

yeah i'm not kidding,cos its just causing a wedge shape for most things i like, and in doing this as much as i can sort of feeds back in. even something as silly as hearing some new band doing something re-done say but as 'new people', as shit as it sounds, even that adds to it all. we get asked so many times ; when u were a kid what did u want music to be like in the future?

interesting !

this creativity / energy you felt growing over the years, do you feel it comes solely from the practice of music ? or maybe some over practice or interest (philosophy ?), whatever they may be ?

worst lost on the studio ?! ( hard drives burnt or something like that )

ah too many to recount

no whole drives (usually got multiple backups) but plenty of whole tracks

like tears in rain

Were the Oversteps circles hand painted? Or did they just use one of those brush-mimicking programs?

Was the Move Of Ten cover hand drawn?

hands, both

Guys,

This has ben amazing....I gotta get back to work or else...

before I go....would you please name my yet-to-be-born modular synth?

thanks for it all!!!!!

Greetings from Mexico, thanks for all of your stuff :cry:, here are mi questions :music:

What feelings/emotions do you want to transfer in Vletrmx??

Will you ever come to Mexico? :sad:

What is your favorite Aphex Twin track?

Thanks!

vletrmx was a track made for someone

yeah maybe, not been asked

didgeridoo

2) I've been thinking lately to make field recordings. Never done that before. What recorder would you recommend?

3) What do you say, one last shot at naming my guitar? ;p

2) i dunno much about what's good i have a habit of using absolutely anything

3) your guitar is now called enrico

2) What would you use to record a soft, silent sound close to you (say a squeaky coffee pot), but at the same time you dont want louder distant noises to be recorded (clocks, cars)? Are there recorders that might filter that out? Or do you have to do that with software?

3) Enrico who?

I would be much obliged if you could name my Roland JX-3P and my euro-rack modular rig that I'm in the middle of putting together.

Cheers!

jx-3p's are ace, did u get a controller? those things are so cute

your jx-3p is now called brian

your eurorack is now called galactor

Unfortunately, I don't have the controller. I'm planning on installing the KiwiTechnics mod at some point (hopefully in the near future). It's a pretty rad mod, pretty much replaces the original CPU, giving things like MIDI control to all parameters, broader range LFO's (an additional LFO, too, I believe), being able to adjust the on-board chorus, stuff like that. So I could just use a knob box instead of the controller, though, as you say, the programmer is pretty cute. Details here: http://kiwitechnics.com/jx3pupgrade.htm. I'm hoping I don't mess up Brian's guts when I do that. But yeah, it was a super cheap pawn shop buy, going to be replacing its volume pot tomorrow after years of having to have it in a certain position for it to be able to play. Always loved it since I got it, though.

Galactor's guts are still being put together.

Do either of you have children? I'm a father myself. My sons love playing with my gear. My older one (he's 5) made a track on Audiotool.com the other night. I think he's going in the right direction with it. ;)

Guys,

This has ben amazing....I gotta get back to work or else...

before I go....would you please name my yet-to-be-born modular synth?

thanks for it all!!!!!

your unborn modular synth is now called Tambien

I have no idea when this thread will end, so I'm going to say this before it does:

Thank you guys for doing this, it has been a great pleasure. Thanks for putting up with everything. Our lame jokes and awkward questions. And for answering them! Yeah, just, thanks a whole lot. I feel I can't say thanks enough.

One thing, I was surprised that the word "weird" got said a few times when talking about your music. Something like Q: "do you get annoyed when people find your music weird" A: "nah, we know its weird"

I just want to say that to me, your music has never been weird.

It all makes fucking sense to me.

Not sure what that says about me tho, lol.

And never forget....

twelb.

ta m8 yeah really. thanks

2) I've been thinking lately to make field recordings. Never done that before. What recorder would you recommend?

2) What would you use to record a soft, silent sound close to you (say a squeaky coffee pot), but at the same time you dont want louder distant noises to be recorded (clocks, cars)? Are there recorders that might filter that out? Or do you have to do that with software?

3) Enrico who?

i dunno i'd just use whatever shit mic i had to hand and then eq it out later :D

I would be much obliged if you could name my Roland JX-3P and my euro-rack modular rig that I'm in the middle of putting together.

Cheers!

jx-3p's are ace, did u get a controller? those things are so cute

your jx-3p is now called brian

your eurorack is now called galactor

Unfortunately, I don't have the controller. I'm planning on installing the KiwiTechnics mod at some point (hopefully in the near future). It's a pretty rad mod, pretty much replaces the original CPU, giving things like MIDI control to all parameters, broader range LFO's (an additional LFO, too, I believe), being able to adjust the on-board chorus, stuff like that. So I could just use a knob box instead of the controller, though, as you say, the programmer is pretty cute. Details here: http://kiwitechnics.com/jx3pupgrade.htm. I'm hoping I don't mess up Brian's guts when I do that. But yeah, it was a super cheap pawn shop buy, going to be replacing its volume pot tomorrow after years of having to have it in a certain position for it to be able to play. Always loved it since I got it, though.

Galactor's guts are still being put together.

Do either of you have children? I'm a father myself. My sons love playing with my gear. My older one (he's 5) made a track on Audiotool.com the other night. I think he's going in the right direction with it. ;)

tbh what you're doing there is gonna be way better than some cute controller, pls disregard me

rob does, i don't

I remember putting on Confield for the first time, and I was really digging it. Really put an impression on me, the 'I know what I was doing at the time' kind of impression, sitting in front of my computer in the morning chilling out.

I know you said it wasn't a big step for you going from previous work to Confield, but it sounded pretty pre-historic alien artifact like to me. Like uncovering fossils or something. Like wtf have I uncovered?

Exai is niice, sounds sentient.

you ever destroy tracks you're working on, see what happens? or are there always relative small steps involved in the process?

3) Enrico who?

i dunno i'd just use whatever shit mic i had to hand and then eq it out later :D

And here's me thinking Autechre did it like this ;p

P5010021.JPG

Guest bitroast

( oh wow. it's 7:42am in autralia time and you are still here. Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your music and for taking the time answering these questions. it's greatly appreciated xx!! )

Guest Captain Kittens

So my music teacher wants me to write a paper on Augmatic Disport. But I don't know what to write. Help pls?

why don't u write about the polarity of the beats or something, just made up stuff. something about the to-and fro of the 'forward looking vs the backward looking' bits. and the amount of the percussion thats where it should be compared to the parts of percussion that are inexplicably absent in others. dunno see if yr teacher buys it.

Haha love this.