IGNORED

Roland finally releasing evolution to TR-808

Chris Toffer

Guest pixelives

Elektron "gets it," and as individuals they are very active in the scene or whoever you want to call it. Some people have problems with quality of their industrial design but their customer service is flawless for any problem you may have. I've had a few minor issues, but nothing major.

I think they are hitting the next level of designing deep yet easy to manage boxes with the new analog stuff. I've stopped waiting around for the big guys to make instruments that aren't bottom feeding.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly at this point people just need to stop looking to the past. Just use reaktor for everything.

Setting Reaktor on fire à la Hendrix just isn't the same as setting fire to an 808 though. 808s flock the pussy.

i dunno man, my reaktor ensembles all have a 'fire' button that displays an animated gif of flames, looks pretty wicked

Guest pixelives

Ok. I've decided that if the price is right, say 700 give or take, and it sounds good, I'll probably get one, wether it's analog or digital (most likely). Unless Elektron unveils something better.

There's one thing I've wanted to post this whole time, and it's no longer on youtube.

Basically it was a 90s era clip of a Roland engineer, explaining Japanese how unsatisfactory he thought the cowbell sounded.

They can't just make a simple 1osc or 2osc monophonic with keys and some crappy little sequencer?

Or a decent juno-esque poly analog/digital?

Third statement singing with the WATMM choir, damning Roland for being so dumb and not pandering to my taste.

----(Please note: I'm aware of how cool it is to play with an 808, I have done so on a few occasions, but it's just an old drum machine)---

just re-release the 808 in its exact form like korg did with the ms-20. (im sure its not exact either since its smaller) but that is the way to go. roland never did anything cool intentionally. it was always an accidental discovery by other people

All right, dyudez- I've got an IDM update for y'allz. Being in Tokyo and knowing some random people, I was at a party this weekend and was chatting with some Roland engineers; one who is a friend of a friend. I remembered this thread, so here's all the pertinent info on new Roland hardware:

It's boxes full of dreams, which you pay money for, in hopes of releasing those dreams.

too many people jumping to conclusions here, have some faith

sure, roland have had a "bad" track record over the past decade, but they're still one of the greatest music companies of all time. i bet 75% of the people bagging them don't even own anything they've made from the past decade anyway.

if this is actually >$500 for a virtual analogue clone then yes roland have completely missed the point. why they wouldn't want to offer a cheap-mid priced analogue synth to a market that is hungry for just that is beyond me.

but dude, what you don't understand is that the Novation Drum Station finally has a contender, no longer are you isolated just to one $300 piece of gear to make software emulated 808 sounds, now you can get the new Roland unit which is way more affordable... oh wait

All right, dyudez- I've got an IDM update for y'allz. Being in Tokyo and knowing some random people, I was at a party this weekend and was chatting with some Roland engineers; one who is a friend of a friend. I remembered this thread, so here's all the pertinent info on new Roland hardware:

It's boxes full of dreams, which you pay money for, in hopes of releasing those dreams.

well i'm sold...

I fell for the same ruse to only find out that it was a box of nightmares eating all of my dreams. It was awesome.

I fell for the same ruse to only find out that it was a box of nightmares eating all of my dreams. It was awesome.

Yes, well- our greatest fear is that we will realize our true powerful selves, so this makes sense.

New video!!!!!!!!!!

This one talks about the 909. Perhaps the new drum machine is a combo of 808 and 909???!? I find it hilarious how they sampled the engineers own cymbals for the 909 cymbals

Why is a TR-808 playing in background?

Well, one thing to note is that Roland also has ze FA-06/08 workstation, so uh, that should give some indication of capabilities.

I did some CSI work for scale and shit, and I got this:

watmm_tr-08.jpg

The TR-08, is SMALL. It looks to be less than half the size of the TR-808. The cute factor alone might make this a hit. If Roland were smart enough to use hard clear plastic instead of Electribe style soft rubber, this could actually be super solid.

What became apparent in my ENHANCE, ENHANCE session, is that every drum part has its own parameters, it seems, even reverb and possibly other effects. So flexibility wise, this could be pretty cool. The knobs are not relative value knobs, but somehow it got me thinking- since there are so many parameters for each hit (which would be a pain to re-set for every track)- this thing could have motors in every knob and slider, and the pattern save/load feature can recall all knob+slider positions. That is their "step forward", peeerhaps.

New video!!!!!!!!!!

This one talks about the 909. Perhaps the new drum machine is a combo of 808 and 909???!? I find it hilarious how they sampled the engineers own cymbals for the 909 cymbals

Why is a TR-808 playing in background?

Roland must know what a group of persnickety autists they are working with. Plus, they are Japanese. Both of these factors should have prevented this mistake, which bothered me a great deal as well. They didn't even cue some hi-hat/crash hits from the 909 to contrast the engineer striking the original instruments. Speaking of which, that hi-hat and crash should get the same treatment as the kilogram replicas

National_prototype_kilogram_K20_replica.

which, unfortunately, wouldn't help because the kilogram weights have been found to vary each decade they reassess their accuracy. No one can explain why yet I TOLD YOU WE WERE AUTISTIC ROLAND

Graviton fluctuations, distance to the center of the earth, decay, etc... Too many variables to quantize our universe :)

Quite skeptical myself - it's funny, even in the video they point out how electronic music didn't exist before the 808/909 - and these musicians just took the instruments and mangled them into a whole new thing

how can they re-invent a machine that they didn't intended on making in the first place?

excited to see what they've done tho! :watmm:

those lab-coat videos are just so wtf i don't even know what to say, at first i thought 'oh hey this is very japanese and cute' and then i realized that if i was japanese i'd probably be having a wtf reaction too

Archived