IGNORED

Luke Vibert - Ridmik

Herr Jan

This is a really good follow-up to the Ace Of Clubs album, totally same vibes. A bit colder / emptier then usual but still really fun lush tracks. I really like Overstand Me, Double Dipped Acid and Vortek. Of course this'll be purchased, but like Ace Of Clubs, I'd rather have this on CD.

This sound a lot like physical gear. He said recently that most of his work now is on a pc and no analogue stuff at all.

Maybe these are old tracks, or he's really good at making lush sounds on pc.

Meh, I think he still pulls out the ol' Rolands for the occasional jam, think I read that anyway. This and Ace Of Clubs are probably based on those sessions, with some heavy pc producing afterwards. Regarding how old the tracks are, I think I heard Vortek in a set a few years ago but it all sounds pretty fresh to me.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting over my initial disappointment. It must be the purest acid album by Luke, even more so than Lover's Acid. It's 303% acid and very honest sounding. Not overproduced by any means. You get the sounds of the sources. Kind of retro feeling, nostalgia-infused, minimal acid. Not very humoristic. Headphones recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

When Boomkat is using a promotional text written by the label to review a Luke Vibert album, it's because they don't have much to say about it.

http://boomkat.com/cds/943071-luke-vibert-ridmik

Well, at least it's being spared the ridiculous overhyping in every other Boomkat review. I only read Norman reviews, because they sound sort of honest at least. And Boomkat never has ANYTHING in stock.

The Luke Warm EP's doing a lot more for me than this. Still alright though.

EP's ? Multiple? And it's not even out yet!

But I agree, I listen to Daydreaming constantly, while I only listened to this one twice. Enjoyable, especially for getting some tasks done in the meantime, but not a Vibert Classic ©

I get the empty club feeling as well. His coldest album yet? Not a Vibert Classic, as Jan pointed out. And sure, Boomkat overhypes everything, I agree, but I think it's one of the first times ever they don't take the time to write down a review for Vibert. I mean, in their case, writing a great review means they're selling more of the product. But how can you sell this album? It has no selling points or nothing that stands out really.

@Cellar Door, don't listen to us! Just plug your headphones in and enjoy the album. Please share your impressions, I'm curious! Music is so very subjective, it might be your favorite Vibert album, who knows?

The Luke Warm EP's doing a lot more for me than this. Still alright though.

EP's ? Multiple? And it's not even out yet!

But I agree, I listen to Daydreaming constantly, while I only listened to this one twice. Enjoyable, especially for getting some tasks done in the meantime, but not a Vibert Classic ©

Oh whoops I meant EP haha, must've been daydreaming too hard when I wrote that this morning.

Am I missing something... bleep says may 5th release but most sites seem to say it's already out

? Juno and the label itself are suggesting I "add it to my wishlist to be notified when it comes out".

Where is it avail for order? =)

I hope this grows on me a bit more, it's not bad by any means but Luke's music normally grabs me more than this. This seems to be lighter on the humour, quirkiness than his standard fayre.

I'm not particularly impressed by the video, seriously budget stuff. I'm sure a fan would normally put in more effort.

Anyhoo, hyped to see Luke play this Saturday!

I hope this grows on me a bit more, it's not bad by any means but Luke's music normally grabs me more than this. This seems to be lighter on the humour, quirkiness than his standard fayre.

Same here, man. I have stopped trying to like it. The question to ask is, if this wasn't Vibert, would you make the effort to try to like it? Looking forward to Luke Warm. But soon enough, all those idols we had in the 90's are going to be too old to produce significant music. We should get ready for that hehe.

Archived