IGNORED

Philip Seymour Hoffman DEAD!?

goDel

Oh my. Was his next tweet. "i promised my momma i was gonna be on the cover, but they took that away from a nga."

Also rhymes like 'prima donna" and "diva", seriously. This guy just fired himself from public life.

Then again, maybe he has a point, Rolling Stone is a music magazine first and foremost. And it was just a cynical ploy to sell more copies.

heheheheh, i'm torn.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was hoping to watch some of his movies on tv these days but NOTHING! ...he died in vain :trashbear:

i think this has something to do with his dying by his own hand...it's not like he was hit by a car or something. Also he didn't have the looks of a River Phoenix or a even a Heath Ledger.

:w00t: and i thought i was dark

• 2 weeks later...

Then again, maybe he has a point, Rolling Stone is a music magazine first and foremost. And it was just a cynical ploy to sell more copies.

heheheheh, i'm torn.

i'd love if that ended his career but it won't. people no longer relate with real life anymore because everything to them is now entertainment. this is a culture that prefered to tweet, blog about soulja boy's comment where he said he was thankful that slavery happened because it allowed him (and his peers) to have gold grills, tattoos and ice around their wrists.

normally, i'd call that ignorant. but sadly, it's now normal

So what do you read from that article?

Must be pretty painful for his ex and kids.

Also, there was a pretty good article in the independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/philip-seymour-hoffman-found-dead-the-last-few-months-of-the-actors-life-paint-a-private-struggle-to-cope-with-the-breakdown-of-his-personal-life-9103822.html

There's also a clip with what was probably his last interview. Pretty interesting to see. Especially with the hindsight knowledge of his struggles. His tension was pretty upfront, but only now we can fill in the gaps to understand why.

Possibly being overly reductionist here, as I tend to be, but this may just be a case of closet-case can't find the strength to come out of the closet (and then adding drug addiction on top).

He does look quite depressed and gurn-y in that vid, bummer.

With respect to his sexuality, he doesn't seem the kind of guy who'd have problems with coming out of the closet if he was "just" gay. He could move in the most liberal crowds which inhabit this planet. He was an actor/artist. And there are plenty openly gay actors/artists.

Perhaps if his upbringing was extremely strict or something, but this is not the time to speculate. ...which is kind of annoying, because it's one of the most fun things to do on this planet... :S

I don't see why his drug abuse has to be related to some kind of secondary thing. He took the drugs cause he liked them, he binged cause he didn't have an off switch for that part of you that says, MORE.

Because drugs are a way to escape "normal" life? Or life in general?

I'll pass this question to Limpy, btw. Or someone who knows the statistics of drug use and the relative frequency of "secondary things", which I assume is HIGH. (pun intended)

Perhaps if his upbringing was extremely strict or something, but this is not the time to speculate. ...which is kind of annoying, because it's one of the most fun things to do on this planet... :S

Wait, why isn't this the time to speculate? Isn't the best time when someone's already dead so you won't get a straight answer (har) and they can't defend themselves? :nacmat:

Exactly! This is not the time to speculate on the impact of his parents divorce when he was nine. Or worse even, the speculate on the reason for the divorce. Perhaps daddy Hoffman wasn't a good kind of daddy, but a bad one? If there's some secondary shit fucking up peoples lives besides their sexuality, this is where you want to take a pee. But I'm not speculating, and I hope his kids are alright.

Because drugs are a way to escape "normal" life? Or life in general?

I'll pass this question to Limpy, btw. Or someone who knows the statistics of drug use and the relative frequency of "secondary things", which I assume is HIGH. (pun intended)

Well yeah I'd say drugs are a reliable way to dull emotional pain in the short-run, and people with major life stressors (like being closeted) or a history of abuse or mental illness are way more likely to abuse drugs than some random person.

But simply being a person on this planet is difficult enough, and plenty enough reason for someone to turn to drugs for relief. Good old vanilla heartbreak would provide more than enough stress for someone to break.

I don't think he was gay, but I would guess he had some sort of demons. It is of course possible that he simply had an addictive/pleasure-seeking personality and there was no underlying darkness beneath it all. But I dunno, that just seems too unpoetic and unromantic for a dude like this.

I read part of the Rolling Stone memorial piece. It sounded to me like he was incredibly hard on himself. He always wanted more from himself and may never have accepted his work as good enough.

To me that's a classic path to debilitating stress. I don't know what made him relapse, but that's a vulnerable personality type, for sure.

• 3 months later...

Archived