IGNORED

2014: the year Ellen Page made scores of neckbeards cry out in psychic anguish

lumpenprol

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you mean 2013. Gay pioneers Sean Booth and Rob Booth (nee Brown) dropped a double disc of hot gay anthems called Exai ("Exaited about gay marriage"), followed by the lesbian-themed "L-event," which many consider the catalyst for Ellen Page's coming out. Unfortunately the band were still victims of record label censors, who edited the title of their most provocative track, "1M + 1M is great" to the unintelligible "1 1 is".

I think you mean 2013. Gay pioneers Sean Booth and Rob Booth (nee Brown) dropped a double disc of hot gay anthems called Exai ("Exaited about gay marriage"), followed by the lesbian-themed "L-event," which many consider the catalyst for Ellen Page's coming out. Unfortunately the band were still victims of record label censors, who edited the title of their most provocative track, "1M + 1M is great" to the unintelligible "1 1 is".

Glad I came back for this quality lel

Whether or not the government allows it and however they go about it, and whether or not you THINK marriage is structurally incompatible with gay people, there ARE gay people who want to get married, and they clearly SHOULD be allowed to if they want to.

That's it. Change is NECESSARY. That's all it comes down to, whatever you say

whether or not you THINK marriage is structurally incompatible with gay people,

? i'm not sure what you mean by this.

there ARE gay people who want to get married, and they clearly SHOULD be allowed to if they want to.

according to what principle? i don't see what's "clear" about this. i think you're mistaking democracy (the political system) with egalitarianism.

That's it. Change is NECESSARY. That's all it comes down to, whatever you say

yeah sure. that's all it comes down to in an egalitarian dictatorship (aka strawmanland, paradise of the arbitrary).

it's interesting how "anti-West" this decision was

"Ugandan government spokesman Ofwono Opondo said, the president "wants to sign it with the full witness of the international media to demonstrate Uganda's independence in the face of Western pressure and provocation." The bill is popular in Uganda, but rights groups have condemned it as draconian in a country where homosexuality is already illegal.

"Outsiders cannot dictate to us, this is our country," said Museveni. "I advise friends from the West not to make this an issue, because if they make it an issue the more they will lose."" (from the article LL linked)

"There's now an attempt at social imperialism, to impose social values. We're sorry to see that you (the West) live the way you live but we keep quiet about it," he said.

""He knows that while the West cares about homosexuality, it's not to such an extent that they would severely punish a good ally," said Ugandan political analyst Angelo Izama.

A Ugandan government spokesman said Museveni had taken the unusual step of signing the bill in public to "demonstrate Uganda's independence in the face of Western pressure"." (from Reuters)

don't put me on 'the wrong side of history' or whatever, but i do find it interesting that part of the reason for justifying this law (in ugandan's minds) is to release themselves from western-imposed morality

"Ugandan government spokesman Ofwono Opondo said, the president "wants to sign it with the full witness of the international media to demonstrate Uganda's independence in the face of Western pressure and provocation." The bill is popular in Uganda, but rights groups have condemned it as draconian in a country where homosexuality is already illegal.

"Outsiders cannot dictate to us, this is our country," said Museveni. "I advise friends from the West not to make this an issue, because if they make it an issue the more they will lose."" (from the article LL linked)

"There's now an attempt at social imperialism, to impose social values. We're sorry to see that you (the West) live the way you live but we keep quiet about it," he said.

""He knows that while the West cares about homosexuality, it's not to such an extent that they would severely punish a good ally," said Ugandan political analyst Angelo Izama.

A Ugandan government spokesman said Museveni had taken the unusual step of signing the bill in public to "demonstrate Uganda's independence in the face of Western pressure"." (from Reuters)

don't put me on 'the wrong side of history' or whatever, but i do find it interesting that part of the reason for justifying this law (in ugandan's minds) is to release themselves from western-imposed morality

Which is fucking hilarious, given the huge Christian presence in Uganda, and the strong possibility that the bill was largely inspired by US evangelical ideology. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/05/11/uganda-anti-homosexual-bill-inspired-by-american-evangelicals.html

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2014/1/retrogressive-antigaylawinugandahastiestotheus.html

Which is fucking hilarious, given the huge Christian presence in Uganda, and the strong possibility that the bill was largely inspired by US evangelical ideology. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/05/11/uganda-anti-homosexual-bill-inspired-by-american-evangelicals.html

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2014/1/retrogressive-antigaylawinugandahastiestotheus.html

:cisfor:

Archived