IGNORED

I think Steinvord is a masterpiece

Klopjob

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's just a bunch of "technical" sounding wanking, it has none of the good bits of the classic aphex/squarepusher drill n bass tracks, none of the tense dynamics between melody/traditional structure and more chaotic sounding dissonance. nowhere NEAR what it's trying to copy, so absolute rubbish minus the one acidy groovy track.

exactly, except that I don't think Steinvord is trying to copy anything, probably just trying to be innovative with music for the sake of being innovative.

Personally, I think John Cage's 4'33" sounds like shit, have no fucking idea why it's the first video that comes up when you google for john cage.

I think the cunning plan is to have so many WATMM :wub: STEINVORD threads that in the end the culprit/s captiulates and tells us what the caper is. And then releases a whole album of delicious goodies for us to sink our fangs into. Yum.

So far though it's not working :shrug:

it's just a bunch of "technical" sounding wanking, it has none of the good bits of the classic aphex/squarepusher drill n bass tracks, none of the tense dynamics between melody/traditional structure and more chaotic sounding dissonance. nowhere NEAR what it's trying to copy, so absolute rubbish minus the one acidy groovy track.

This sounds like my mother reviewing Ultravisitor or any Venetian Snares track for that matter. Steinvord does the fast drill n bass thing better than anyone else who tried to do that besides Richard and Tom themselves, which in my book makes it a great release in an age where everyone else is is still trying to copy Analord because it's easier (basically entire EOD discography). Im not saying EOD isn't great tho, calm down. I was basically limited to Richard and Tom (and only a couple of their albums) to enjoy this kind of music, now I have this EP as well.

The more melodic tunes by him are also sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_B4HU5eIeE

i love how subtle and quiet that 303 line is at 3:35- on , that alone makes me think it might be Aphex because most people who make music in his style would put a legitimate 303 line way louder in the mix. Aphex is just super casual about it. I mean i'm still not 100% convinced, but the amazingly accurate Drukqs outtake song 'untitled' and this little piece of evidence is leaves me still extremely curious

Ugh, I want an official CD copy of all the Steinvord tracks so bad. Untitled 9 is a jam.

I agree that the tracks are overall pretty cold and technical, but I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing.

Also, as I am contractually obligated to say: that incredibly funky one with the one-note bassline (this is the one I’ve decided is called Iyff Acid) has GOT to be AFX. I’m obsessed with it.

Ugh, I want an official CD copy of all the Steinvord tracks so bad. Untitled 9 is a jam.

I agree that the tracks are overall pretty cold and technical, but I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing.

Also, as I am contractually obligated to say: that incredibly funky one with the one-note bassline (this is the one I’ve decided is called Iyff Acid) has GOT to be AFX. I’m obsessed with it.

the bassline is some type of guitar noodling, I don't think it's programmed. It's similar in parts to steinbolt, has some similar feedback and stuff (especially the intro to the song).

That's the only track out of all of them on the official release I'm convinced is a Tom/Rich collab. The rest sound to be pretty surely Tom. Then the unreleased stuff (untitled, untitled 97 etc) seem to be Rich.

the bassline is some type of guitar noodling, I don't think it's programmed. It's similar in parts to steinbolt, has some similar feedback and stuff (especially the intro to the song).

That's the only track out of all of them on the official release I'm convinced is a Tom/Rich collab. The rest sound to be pretty surely Tom. Then the unreleased stuff (untitled, untitled 97 etc) seem to be Rich.

The intro morphing of that sound sounds like some kind of hardware bit crusher to me.

Interesting point about the rhythm of that bassline, but I was thinking more about the production. To me, the production doesn’t sound like something like Steinbolt at all. Instead it’s got that really full-frequency kind of rounded “pillowy” compression sound like Mangle 11, Windowlicker Acid Mix, etc.

The intro morphing of that sound sounds like some kind of hardware bit crusher to me.

Interesting point about the rhythm of that bassline, but I was thinking more about the production. To me, the production doesn’t sound like something like Steinbolt at all. Instead it’s got that really full-frequency kind of rounded “pillowy” compression sound like Mangle 11, Windowlicker Acid Mix, etc.

bolded: good points for sure.

I think we can all agree that it's some combination of Tom/Rich, no?

Guest Phonejack

I subscribe to the "Steinvord is Autechre experimenting with a typical drill n bass sound" theory.

I am Steinvord. Sorry to disappoint.That's why I was keeping it secret. Knowing is disappoints. Very disappoints.

now please release more awesome music, thank you.

now please release more awesome music, thank you.

I can't. For some reason people hearing my music cramps my style and ruins it for me. I'm open-lettering to you Aphex.

Most people do think it is related to RDJ. I don't think they are wrong. Whoever it is, it can't be just some person who released several great tracks out of nowhere, then disappeared. That is not logical.

The mystery behind Steinvord is amazing. I hope to never know who actually produced it.

Guest Akiak

Yeah untitled 9 is my fav, have mixed feelings on the actual ep. I think's it's all Tom, but to be honest I don't really know, could also be someone new.

I think the cunning plan is to have so many WATMM :wub: STEINVORD threads that in the end the culprit/s captiulates and tells us what the caper is. And then releases a whole album of delicious goodies for us to sink our fangs into. Yum.

it's working man, he'll crack and push the button soon

tumblr_lt25koAqOO1qzrlhgo6_250.gif

we just need a few more threads

basically this.

does anyone seriously think this is aphex or pusher?

no way in hell. might be Vsnares but I doubt it.

actually I don't know what I'm talking about , first time I've listened to this stuff, it's pretty good, gescom level

very interesting post

it's working man, he'll crack and push the button soon

tumblr_lt25koAqOO1qzrlhgo6_250.gif

we just need a few more threads

you don't want the doomsday button pushed do you? wrath of God has no mercy.

I heard this EP for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it's certainly the most Aphexy sounding thing I've heard that isn't necessarily Aphex Twin. So i wouldn't be at all surprised if it were RDJ. if not, it's disappointing that someone with skills like that would use them to emulate another artist so blatantly... but entirely plausible. It's just weird that RDJ would sign someone who's aping his style like that.

Guest skibby

i know some of us are anxious to know the identity of steinvord, but the rules say that we need to respect richards privacy, so i for one will respect that and wait in ambush to make more impish comments when appropriate.

Archived