IGNORED

WATMM travel thread

usagi

As I'm waiting for the situation to clear up in Bangkok I'm thinking about going to the Caribbean and Central America.. Cuba, Costa Rica, maybe Jamaica? Is Jamaica as dangerous as people say?

Me & my mate are going to road trip europe hopefully next year or the one after. He's a funny fucker & I'm going to film him & be his manager

Edited by lala

As I'm waiting for the situation to clear up in Bangkok I'm thinking about going to the Caribbean and Central America.. Cuba, Costa Rica, maybe Jamaica? Is Jamaica as dangerous as people say?

Bangkok isn't dangerous right now to travelers is it? As long as you keep your nose clean and don't start any shit, stay away from gov't bldgs etc I believe they leave you alone.

I've got lots of friends over there at the moment they haven't complained at all.

Bangkok isn't dangerous right now to travelers is it? As long as you keep your nose clean and don't start any shit, stay away from gov't bldgs etc I believe they leave you alone.

I've got lots of friends over there at the moment they haven't complained at all.

I was not talking about the safety in Bangkok. Just personal things going on in which my traveling there is depending on. Sorry to be unclear.

so i've decided i want to do this https://www.explore.co.uk/holidays/burma-cycling-holiday

but don't want to pay the price tag. before i spend hours trawling the internet does anyone have any ideas?

where can you find good tour guides independently?

Jesus they're fucking you all kinds of ways on that tour. The most expensive thing should be your flight to Burma. After that you can stay in just normal hostels and shit while you're here.

Personally I'd never do a tour, cause who the fuck wants to listen to some idiot blither on about the marvels of Bagan. I mean Bagan is cool, but I don't need some twit telling me about it. And if you really really feel the urge to get a tour guide, they'll have locals there who will be more than half the price.

You won't want to do the tour in Feb-April - it's bloody hot. Try for November. And also keep an eye on the news, if there's fighting in Shan state, you won't be able to do that part of the tour easily.

What situation in Bangkok? The junta? You'll be waiting a while.

Just personal things, lol. Sorry to be unclear. :D I was actually in Bangkok when the last junta was in power in 2007.

Just personal things, lol. Sorry to be unclear. :D I was actually in Bangkok when the last junta was in power in 2007.

Ah I see, Sorry if I came off as harsh, I'm just grumpy doing schoolwork at 1:45 in the morning lol.

Lol.

I'm tempted to go to Japan just to go to fiveg synth shop and hang there for a few weeks

I spent about 30mins in fiveg before having to leave because there was so much stuff that I wanted. It was early in my trip too, so I could have bought something, but then would have had no money left to eat/get back to the airport haha.

and there also would've been the question of transporting it to Aus, I guess.

bedbug update: I think I wiped em all out. didn't wake up this morning with any new bites, far as I could tell. I think!

Madame Chaos: It's not cheap to stay in hostels in Burma atm, or anything, the tourism is not lucrative enough to start a price war, I currently can't afford to go there as it's 1000% more expensive than where I live [Cambodia] for things like accommodation and transport.

But if you take your own bike, smart phone and hammock you can prob do it all for free, knock on people's doors and ask to sleep on their floor, I have a friend doing that atm with his bike totally doable fun and free of 'guides'

Edited by fenton

There aren't any real hostels here, but there are guest houses. You can find decent ones for between 10,000-15,000Ks/night ($10-15 USD). I would recommend one night at the start and one night at the end in a proper hotel though. Also bring some immodium pills. You'll need them.

If your phone is unlocked, would recommend bringing one, although telecoms are dodgy (in the sense of infrastructure capacity) here. You can get a sim card for

Check out yangon expat connection on google groups for people who might be able to help you out with places to sleep for cheap, and finding good deals on bike rentals.

I can't speak to transportation costs in Cambodia, but they're really cheap here. Taxis in Yangon, just negotiate a price before hand. You can get almost anywhere in the city for under $5. If you don't like the price the driver is offering, just say no and walk away.

Buses to Inle Lake/Bagan etc are really cheap as well. Flights to Mandalay can be had for cheap, depends on the day and time of flight.

But that tour group is bloody ridiculous.

@usagi & modey

I had planned on sending it back & hoping for the best. If I get collared at customs then it's still cheaper. If I dont then double bonus.

As for the bed bugs, theyre hiding

yeah, I nearly bought an MS20. Was tempted by a 909 but I spent 10 minutes poking buttons and couldn't figure out how to edit the patterns so it's dead to me.

p sure I got some new bites this morning. shit is getting out of hand, I've booked an exterminator. that fucking hostel. tempted to send them the $250 bill.

so yeah, if you see even the smallest mention of bedbugs in a Google review of a place you're considering staying at overseas, strike it from the list.

yeh plus the bites take a few days to show up?

i got dem bites twice in the same hostel on different occasions but:

#1 anti bedbug tip:

don't leave your bag open or sleep in your clothes in shit rooms

i have no idea how solid my tip is but my flat remains bed bug free, don't give those little immigrants a ride they'll take over your bed then get you fired from work and steal your girlfriend.

• 3 months later...

Soo.. I finally got everything sorted out and I'm going traveling for few months starting from the Caribbean. Next monday I'll be flying to Barbados. :cool:

Any recommendations welcome from the general area there (Caribbean/Central America).