IGNORED

WATMM travel thread

usagi

I figure I can just get $500 in JPY cash and then chuck $1000 or so on a card

was thinking roughly the same.

(which apparently has no fees after the initial exchange rate).

whoa. the Commbank one has fees for every withdrawal and loading of cash onto the card (apart from the first load)! :shrug: who are you with?

I think the more people I talk to about it, the more I get paranoid, because people are giving me conflicting reports. I just want a card that I can use at post office/711/whatever!

fuck it, I think I'm going to roll with it anyway. if there are any problems, you can always just withdraw from an atm.

Yeah, and try loading onto a travelcard online during a Tokyo spending spree. There are charges to load it, and a daily limit, and all sorts of money laundering protection rules and crap.

I spend about $3400 in Tokyo in 2 weeks due to taking an empty suitcase and filling it up and had to spend a lot of time in a bank one day sending myself sterling, which then needed to be converted into dollars then yen or some shit, it was rubbish.

It's not that expensive there or anything I just went on a couple of shopping sprees and fine dining extravaganzas that cost lots of yen while other days I stayed near my hostel, drank from vending machines, ate cheaply and spent way less than a normal day in London.

The 7/11 ATMs always worked with my VISA

Edited by fenton

usagi: I'm with bendigo bank. I think there is a fee to load money on to the card, but no withdrawal fees.

My budget is approx. $1000 on top of whatever I'd usually spend at home over 12 days of extravagant living, so realistically I'll probably have around $2000 total. I figured that'd be more than enough unless I end up buying a guitar or a synth or something..

edit: there's a 7-11 pretty close to the hostel I'm staying at and I think my bank's travel card is a mastercard (at least, my main aus card is mastercard debit)

Edited by modey

Visa Electron debit card worked fine in Japanese post offices when I was there but that was like 10 years ago.

Internationally card use has improved megafold in the last few years, quite rightly, too. The chances of an atm not playing ball are slim nowadays whether you're visa or mastercard, i think they fucked of maestro and visa electron a few years back.

It's important to tell your bank you are going abroad though.

Also, can anyone point me in a good direction for experimental/noise/interesting gigs in Tokyo? Or even just indie rock gigs or something, heh. I really want to check out the live music scene while I'm there, beyond the chip festival and the Ben Frost gig..

Also, can anyone point me in a good direction for experimental/noise/interesting gigs in Tokyo? Or even just indie rock gigs or something, heh. I really want to check out the live music scene while I'm there, beyond the chip festival and the Ben Frost gig..

Superdeluxe (if its still around).

Yeh it'll be fine, don't go synth shopping, I bought so much stuff I didn't expect home with me, the shops are totally off the hook.

did you have to pay import duty for the synths? (not that i'm going anywhere, but i'm curious)

Edited by poblequadrat

• 3 weeks later...

Dream Theater is coming to Tokyo, but that's Oct 20... As noted-- if you go to Tower Records in Shibuya, there's flyers all over the place. Like on the electronic floor and in front of the bathrooms, etc. There are booklets also that have upcoming events.

Also, http://www.tokyo-club.net/ has Tokyo clubs, and you can sort by area... ...just go out dancing or whatever to some random electronic dudes, etc.

Yeah sounds great. A friend of mine is DJing on thursday and he said there are some bands afterwards so I might hit that up.. as long as I can figure out how to get back to my hostel afterwards.

Also, I played to an amazingly receptive audience lastnight. Tiny little room but it was packed with people dancing to my ridiculous hyperactive drum'n'bass. Hooray!

think i'm going to go to berlin next, some time over the winter. any recommendations on where to visit?

just stay in town friedrichshain / Kreutzberg / prenzlauer berg

do some of the graffiti tours, check out some war stuff and check out a LOT of music

drink lots of cheap beer :)

hey guys i made a map of the synth shops in tokyo

click for full map

500x300.png

and some of the record shops

500x300.png

Cool! I went to disk union yesterday and bought a bunch of Warp/Rephlex stuff. Ridiculous selection!