IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

http://www.mtv.com/news/1906468/star-wars-fans-have-despecialized-and-remastered-a-new-hope/

i guess they've already done this for the entire trilogy, just found a torrent, about to see how the 'despecialized edition' of a New Hope looks like

Despesh new hope looks great. They did a great job. Super sharp and grainy. The colour correction i think is my fav bit.. Looks so much better than remastered bluray (way too pink??)

I'm not really crazy about this idea that the war never ended, then why was everyone on Tatooine, Endor, Naboo, Bespin and Coruscant partying like it was 1999?

They only partied on Endor - until the 1997 Special Edition, right? That's when they started knocking over statues of the Palpatine and what not.

I'm not really crazy about this idea that the war never ended, then why was everyone on Tatooine, Endor, Naboo, Bespin and Coruscant partying like it was 1999?

There never really was a 'war' - it was just a bunch of terrorists (aka the Rebellion) leading an attack on the Empire's latest super weapon - AFAIK, Courscant, everywhere else, etc. the Empire should still have been in control (another stupid retcon by Lucas - the original ending was more in line with what happened - a small, but decisive victory), and despite the Emperor and Vader being dead, the main power structure would still be able to maintain overall control.

There never really was a 'war' - it was just a bunch of terrorists (aka the Rebellion) leading an attack on the Empire's latest super weapon - AFAIK, Courscant, everywhere else, etc. the Empire should still have been in control (another stupid retcon by Lucas - the original ending was more in line with what happened - a small, but decisive victory), and despite the Emperor and Vader being dead, the main power structure would still be able to maintain overall control.

The opening crawl of EP4 calls it a "civil war" but yeah there could still be Imperials at the outer worlds, it seems the Rebellion took Coruscant.

But 30 years later? Seems like if in 1975 we decided to go back to war with the Nazis, and they still had their uniforms, helmets, weapons & vehicles lying around in perfect condition.

The opening crawl of EP4 calls it a "civil war" but yeah there could still be Imperials at the outer worlds, it seems the Rebellion took Coruscant.

But 30 years later? Seems like if in 1975 we decided to go back to war with the Nazis, and they still had their uniforms, helmets, weapons & vehicles lying around in perfect condition.

That's just it - unless there was a total defeat of the Empire's main power base, there would still be plenty of worlds where the Empire was still in control, supply lines, manufacturing facilities, etc. all working as if the Death Star II attack didn't happen. The stormtrooper armour would evolve over time, and while the Rebellion may control certain sectors of the galaxy, I bet in Episode VII the Empire is still a presence and a threat.

This was why I was always skiddish about a sequel, the need for a decent bad guy. Look @ the Rebels show, they've invented a Sith Inquisitor (ignoring once again the rule of two for Sith) and supposedly there are Inquisitors in EP7. I wonder how much of Lucas' sequel outline is intact, & how much JJ threw out?

I read a trilogy where Grand Admiral Thrawn was in charge of the remainder of the fleet, which naturally still posed a considerable threat. It's been a while since I read it though (~12 years). The Rebellion did acquire the power on Coruscant, which is probably what we'll see.

This was why I was always skiddish about a sequel, the need for a decent bad guy. Look @ the Rebels show, they've invented a Sith Inquisitor (ignoring once again the rule of two for Sith) and supposedly there are Inquisitors in EP7. I wonder how much of Lucas' sequel outline is intact, & how much JJ threw out?

Well, Lucas' biographer had to sign an NDA and Lucas handed over the treatments he wrote for 7-12 to Disney, so I suspect they will mine those treatments for the best bits to make the subsequent films.

I hadn't heard about the fourth trilogy, except for Lucas talking out of his ass over the years.

I actually met Mark Hamill in 1995 @ a comic book signing & he was of the firm belief that EP7-9 would get made one day, he had signed onto a fourth movie with his original contract which had long ago expired. This was just after we learned Lucas had started writing EP1. Mark's son actually had a small part as an extra in EP1.

Lucas pretty much committed infanticide with the prequel trilogy. Glad it was taken away from him. When some game developers who were making some SW game asked Lucas for ideas for a Sith character name he seriously suggested Darth Icky. The man is a hack who got lucky and became insanely rich.

I've ordered 2nd hand copies of those limited edition dvds as a result of this thread, thanks.

Gonna DVDShrink the theatrical versions and then drop all the rest off at a charity shop.

Thinking about it, a 30 years long galaxy wide war is actually quite hard to make films about. Billions of people involed, billions of things happening. You have to concentrate on specific events, like the blowing up of a death star.

Was thinking:

After 35 years, Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney for $4bn

After 4 years, Notch sold Minecraft to Microsoft for $2.5bn

Thats not bad going, and makes me think that current generation of kids are going to remember Minecraft for a long time. Perhaps in 30 years the Creeper and Pig and Steve from Minecraft will be as lodged in the worlds collective consciousness just like as Darth Vader and lightsabers are today.

From what I've read, Lucas gave Disney a "sweetheart deal" where he could have asked for, and gotten a lot more for it, but he loves Disney with a passion. (He claims he was in line opening day at Disneyland in 1955 when he was 11 years old)

I've ordered 2nd hand copies of those limited edition dvds as a result of this thread, thanks.

Gonna DVDShrink the theatrical versions and then drop all the rest off at a charity shop.

Thinking about it, a 30 years long galaxy wide war is actually quite hard to make films about. Billions of people involed, billions of things happening. You have to concentrate on specific events, like the blowing up of a death star.

Was thinking:

After 35 years, Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney for $4bn

After 4 years, Notch sold Minecraft to Microsoft for $2.5bn

Thats not bad going, and makes me think that current generation of kids are going to remember Minecraft for a long time. Perhaps in 30 years the Creeper and Pig and Steve from Minecraft will be as lodged in the worlds collective consciousness just like as Darth Vader and lightsabers are today.

the despecialized edition that you can find on tons of torrent sites is about 5x better quality than the DVDs you just bought fyi

Killling off the new Death Star was a pretty big deal and maybe the death of Palpatine sent everybody in a force-fueled ecstasy

A word that was thrown around alot in the post-ROTJ EU was "Remnant", i.e what remained was pretty functional and new leaders took their place, but not enough to constitute the Empire in the classic sense

But of course we all know the EU doesnt count for shit now

is the outline somewhere online? an outline of the outline?

Lucas pretty much committed infanticide with the prequel trilogy. Glad it was taken away from him. When some game developers who were making some SW game asked Lucas for ideas for a Sith character name he seriously suggested Darth Icky. The man is a hack who got lucky and became insanely rich.

i'd agree with you if he wasn't the writer and director of thx-1138 or the creator of indiana jones which imo are much better than anything jj abrams has created (btw: what has he created, lost? fringe? cloverfield?)

i'm not as big a star wars fan as most people (i only enjoyed empire strikes back) so i never got the "lucas ruined star wars theory" because, imo, he created the entire thing and began to collaborate with the wrong people. another thing i always liked about lucas was that he always reminded independent (only giving fox distribution rights) so he always maintained complete creative control whereas abrams has worked for nobody but major studios

Archived