IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to give it to JJ for making the settings in all these shots feel tangible. They don't giveaway an obvious green screen or CGI background feel, which makes it look very different from other massive budget tentpole movies like the Hobbit. Everything looked appropriately gritty except for the Stormtroopers. That one shot with them getting off the ship seemed like a fan fiction youtube star wars movie circa 2006, other than that I'm feeling this. I must have forgotten the dude from Attack of the Block was in it too, but I was happy that it wasn't that horrible Jango Fet(?) actor. Not keeping up with all the special editions, is it true that Lucas overdubbed all the stormtrooper voices in the original trilogy to be that same horrible actors voice from the prequels? After all the massive fuckups in the prequels and the terrible dialog, that weird retcon/plot change stands as one of the worst aspects of them. The whole idea of storm troopers being clones of bobba fett's son, its just literally one of the stupidest things Lucas has ever done. SO i mostly just want to know, by the time Episode IV, V and VI rolls around are the stormtroopers all still supposed to be clones? Are they clones again in this one? I really hope not.

also when the synopsis for the movie was originally leaked I thought the empire was in shambles, they seem pretty organized if they have military drop ships full of stormtroopers. Maybe it was the other way around, the empire is stronger? I really dont know.

was that max von sydow's voice narrating the trailer?

It was Andy Serkis actually - supposedly he plays a small, but pivotal role in the movie.

Yes, Lucas redubbed all the original trilogy Stormtrooper voices to use Jango Fett's voice so the idea that they were all clones of him made sense - why not just say "well, the original clones for the Clone Wars were Jango, but we stopped cloning them, and the modern Empire is made up of regular guys - after all, Both Biggs and Han Solo himself were both going to/recruits in the Imperial Academy at one point, further lending credence to the non-clone Stormtroopers.

As for the trailer - I'm really, really optimistic now - I really want to see what Star Wars can be in someone elses' hands - Lucas should have let someone else do the prequels.

Agreed. The last three movies were missed opportunities. If only Lucas had had the wisdom to pass them off to someone else earlier.

From the little you see in the trailer, it looks like JJ Abrams is really trying to preserve some visual continuity with the original movies, as well as tone and feel. Lucas failed miserably at that in the prequels. I never believed that it was the same universe.

A lot of people were skeptical when Disney got involved. But there's no denying that Disney has had a hand in many of the great animated movies in the last 20 years. There's no reason to think that they won't be a positive, erm, force in continuing the Star Wars saga. I'm optimistic about this.

Visually everything looks pretty tops, lots of dirt and flight scenes look good, but I agree the stormtrooper scene looked fan fictiony and out of place

About the stormtrooper brotha, is that one of the good guys or are we pretending GL didnt kill off the expanded universe by those retcons?

Lightsaber crossjoint looks stupid as shit, that and the stormtrooper bit makes me afraid there's gonna be a lot of unnecessary grimdark 2010s bullshit in this one

Lol that's the actor who played Tuvok on Star Trek Voyager

tim russ. he was also in an episode of star trek the next generation (titled 'starship mine') where picard puts a vulcan neck pinch on him. this was before (of course) he was made a vulcan. inside joke right there

starshipmine102.jpg

The guy in Episode VII is Jason Boyega, not Tim Russ.

Lol that's the actor who played Tuvok on Star Trek Voyager

tim russ. he was also in an episode of star trek the next generation (titled 'starship mine') where picard puts a vulcan neck pinch on him. this was before (of course) he was made a vulcan. inside joke right there

starshipmine102.jpg

The guy in Episode VII is Jason Boyega, not Tim Russ.
He meant the guy in Space Balls was Tim Russ

hGxjrKF.gif

OK so this is John Boyega and he is one of the main characters along with Daisy Ridley (the girl riding the flying thing).

John Boyega is awesome, he originally appeared in "Attack The Block" which you should all go and watch right now if you havent seen it already, its an aliens-invade-a-south-london-towerblock movie directed by Joe Cornish (of Adam and Joe fame). Seriously, its a great movie. It got Nick Frost, a load of great young unknowns, and some awesome aliens.

That got John into acting (he was just a local kid who answered the ad for the Attack The Block casting) and now he's one of the two leads in the new Star Wars. Here's John and Daisy (and a few friends) hanging out at the Episode VII post-filming party.

I think its very interesting that JJ decided to open one of the most-anticipated trailers in history with John Boyega popping up out of nowhere. Its a really unusual shot, and it's a mix of both familiar (the landscape) and the new. Rumours from on-set (can't find the link right now) is that he's going to be awesome in this.

As to his role in the movie, well:

big spoilers:

Is he a good guy disguised as a stormtrooper, or an actual stormtrooper? Rumours are that he's an actual stormtropper who crashes, is befriended by rebel agent Daisy Ridley and then switches to the rebel side. And maybe, starts on the road to becoming a jedi.

As to his role in the movie, well:

big spoilers:

Is he a good guy disguised as a stormtrooper, or an actual stormtrooper? Rumours are that he's an actual stormtropper who crashes, is befriended by rebel agent Daisy Ridley and then switches to the rebel side. And maybe, starts on the road to becoming a jedi.

it would be a miracle if JJ didn't have to acknowledge or reference George Lucas turning every stormtrooper into Jango Fett in the prequels.

these scenes are too static and removed from one another. the flow and the camera angles feel different. maybe it's cause the cgi is still in the adolescent stage of the developmental/doctoring process or whatever, but something's off, and it's not just the lack of puppets...

sober point besides, i'm fucking pumped and got the classic vibes upon first watch and om following that hunch straight to the box office, naturally... and how fucking good is that recording of john the williams theme?

if that didn't get you hyped, idk man...

Archived