IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

Daniels: Every few weeks or months, some new [Star Wars] project comes up: Star Wars Rebels, The Clone Wars, now there’s Lego Star Wars: the Yoda Chronicles. I’ve just been writing for this new book, which is secret but coming out next Christmas, so it was very odd going back to Episode VII on the set because for me, I’d been doing this last week, voiceovers for the animation series but with a different style, I will tell you. The Yoda Chronicles are very funny, much of Star Wars Episode VII is not very funny, it’s really quite serious, so I had to slightly rethink. But it was totally normal to me — that’s really weird to say, isn’t it? But it’s normal to me to be C-3PO in these scenes. It’s totally normal to see Harrison Ford being Han Solo and Carrie Fisher being Princess Leia. It was not a shock to me. And for the people looking after me, my dressers and so on, they were ecstatic, because they had been fans early on and now they’ve joined the film industry as prop makers and model makers, and there they were working with the real C-3PO. It has become a bit of a family and having J.J. Abrams get so many of the original people back, it did feel like a family.... It’s not over yet, Episode VII will come out this time next year and we can do a re-record of Christmas in the Stars and find those other tracks.

Just been reading up on Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) - he's been in all the films, but Lucas mocapped him for some of the prequels and replaced him with CGI. Typical lucas.

I just re-watched episode IV, and for the first 45 minutes (until they meet Han and Chewbakka) C-3PO is really the only character with any charisma and any decent lines (R2-D2 has the charisma, but no lines). Even Vader just seems muffled and rushed.

"Long long ago in a Galaxy far far away ..." is tacked on at the start in a different colour to the scrolling intro. I'd love to know who came up with 'Long Long ago...' and whether Lucas had anything to do with it. Its such a good way to set up - this is not anything to do with Earth's future, it was all long ago somewhere very far away. Quite an epic sci-fi mood setter.

i once met and did some work thing for a producer who worked with lucas when he was still developing star wars. she claims that he wanted "long, long, ago in a galaxy far far away" and she said that "IT WON'T WORK! Only long ago, far far away for long long ago, far away. not both." i guess he picked the former. who knows if she was right or not. whatever

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gah I forgot that the prequels established that Anakin built C3PO.

Those films were so horrible at linking up characters and events together to create the most uncanny and ridiculous coincidences out of what should just be normal occurrences in the original trilogy.

yeah seriously, all culminating with the nonsensical 'wipe the droid's memory' tie-up line Obi Wan gives after Padme dies. so fucking dumb for so many reasons

you would think after Obi Wan spent so much time with these lovable droids he'd have said something in a new hope about it. I mean why would it be a secret at that point that he recognized them?

Like 'actually your father built that droid, how did he end up back here?' its just hilariously bad planning/rewriting of the story

all of these unnecessary inconsistencies piled on top of one another actually make Prometheus having glossy high budget higher technology space travel than Alien seem charming in comparison.

Guest bitroast

ahaha. it blows my mind that they had the freedom to create whatever backstories they saw fit and decided to go with the most convoluted / least logical approach, down to the point of requiring to do the android memory erase tactic and in some cases ALTER the original films (ie. voice of boba to confirm his identity as a kiwi clone). how hard is it to just not fuck up the back stories and accommodate to the existing universe.

i'm pretty sure I've written this^ exact same rant before but it honestly still boggles my mind how bad it is. hahaha.

i just hope and pray that JJ has the freedom to not acknowledge any of that garbagey shit whatsoever. If he can somehow get through an entire Star Wars movie without mentioning cloned Kiwi voiced stormtroopers, midichlorians, naboo, or the trade federation I'll be at least fairly content about the result

Guest bitroast

maybe the new films will have them visiting alderaan. of course, that will mean re-editing episode iv again to remove that not-yet-infamous "death star shot first scene" but i'm sure jj will make it worth it ;)

im starting to think the old triliogy i grew up with was soo goood by accident. let it rest. they are ruining the memories.

(although my 4 yr old nephew is obsessed with star wars after seeing the originals.) gotta cash in the next generation

i wonder if the lightsaber in the originals was animated by rotoscoping. (painting on the film).. ive never really thoubght how hard it must have been to pull that off in the early 80's

im starting to think the old triliogy i grew up with was soo goood by accident

I sorta think so

I bet if GL had had the technological wherewithal, he would've fucked up the og trilogy was well.

edit: the first time around, i mean

i wonder if the lightsaber in the originals was animated by rotoscoping. (painting on the film).. ive never really thoubght how hard it must have been to pull that off in the early 80's

You are correct, the effect in EP4 is the shakiest, rotoscoping circa 1976 was still rough, the Falcon lightsaber scene is the worst offender.

Those films were so horrible at linking up characters and events together to create the most uncanny and ridiculous coincidences out of what should just be normal occurrences in the original trilogy.

yeah seriously, all culminating with the nonsensical 'wipe the droid's memory' tie-up line Obi Wan gives after Padme dies. so fucking dumb for so many reasons

you would think after Obi Wan spent so much time with these lovable droids he'd have said something in a new hope about it. I mean why would it be a secret at that point that he recognized them?

Like 'actually your father built that droid, how did he end up back here?' its just hilariously bad planning/rewriting of the story

all of these unnecessary inconsistencies piled on top of one another actually make Prometheus having glossy high budget higher technology space travel than Alien seem charming in comparison.

I took the memory wipe thing (while admittedly, bad and not needed) was Obi Wan's plan of hiding himself and Yoda from the Empire, lest C3P0 was captured and spilled the beans.

Also, the whole Anakin building C3P0 was silly - how in the world then are there other protocol droids that look JUST LIKE C3P0 around? Was he a kit?

I took the memory wipe thing (while admittedly, bad and not needed) was Obi Wan's plan of hiding himself and Yoda from the Empire, lest C3P0 was captured and spilled the beans.

yes, ok ok that in and of itself makes sense but clearly Lucas planned this concept after the original trilogy otherwise Obiwan would have at least *remarked* on the fact that the very same droids he spent so much of his life with during the Clone Wars just randomly arrive at his doorstep with Anakin's son one day. Unless i'm missing some sort of clever Goerge Lucas tieback the original, as far as Obiwans character is concerned in Ep IV he's never seen these droids before in his entire fucking life

yes, ok ok that in and of itself makes sense but clearly Lucas planned this concept after the original trilogy otherwise Obiwan would have at least *remarked* on the fact that the very same droids he spent so much of his life with during the Clone Wars just randomly arrive at his doorstep with Anakin's son one day. Unless i'm missing some sort of clever Goerge Lucas tieback the original, as far as Obiwans character is concerned in Ep IV he's never seen these droids before in his entire fucking life

Well, Obi Wan lied on purpose to protect Luke - and he was being truthful by saying "I don't ever remember owning a droid", but failed to mention he knew R2 and C3P0.

What's even more odd is R2 knew EVERYTHING - he knew who Anakin is/was, and never told Leia, never told Luke when they met up with him, and that he knew Yoda (and Yoda didn't recognize him either). Certainly a poor job tying everything together, and proof you can't always retrofit stuff like that and make it work well.

R2 is really the Sage of the story, not Yoda. R2 knows everything about everyone, but only beeps so who cares if he spills the beans. He held the attack plans for Theed Palace, the plans for the first Death Star, he knew who Anakin was, he knew Leia was a spy, he was on the Tantive IV when it delivered Leia to Alderaan, he even knew Yoda went into hiding. He had all the cards, but was trustworthy enough to keep his whatever he had shut.

Oops I see I reiterated half of Joyrex's post, doh!

Well, Obi Wan lied on purpose to protect Luke - and he was being truthful by saying "I don't ever remember owning a droid", but failed to mention he knew R2 and C3P0.

when you say he 'failed to mention' you really mean 'george lucas did not in any way take into account logical inconsistencies of watching all 6 movies in chronological order'

when you say he 'failed to mention' you really mean 'george lucas did not in any way take into account logical inconsistencies of watching all 6 movies in chronological order'

No, in the context of the story, Obi Wan being vague about his past, Luke's father's past, and pretending not to recognize either droid is plausible, regardless of the creator's original or retrospective intentions.

The original trilogy in its original form is coming out on bluray.

Because money.

The droids are such cookie cutter models, they all blend together after a while. Do you think a Jedi in his 60s can remember the difference between R2D2, R5D4, and R4 from his fighter? He also flat out lied about Anakin being killed by Vader, which he rationalized with the "point of view" speech. The Protocol droids are interchangeable as well, 4-LOM the bounty hunter was mostly constructed of protocol droid parts, and Dengar appropriated Stormtrooper armor for his outfit. Shit gets recycled in this universe, literally.

Archived