IGNORED

Health Goth (post-normcore?)

gmanyo

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Future brown eh, so that's why they wear black, all that 'healthy' detox stuff is set to empty their bowels. It's a lifestyle bo. Lifting too many Kilos is set to empty their bowels. Smell the burn. and don't get me started on marathon running, you've all seen the pics.

Do you work for warp marketing gmanyo? because you know, seriously,

lol ive seen this on fb recently.. pretty cool aesthetics... i just feel like the name is kinda pretentious, but whatever lol

i think it should be called "JoCK GoTh!" yes, w/ exclamation point .. and there should be an homage to MTV Jock Jams. itd be like the new Juggalos.. only hipster, self aware and euro and minus the meth and inbreeding.

I see it quite a bit on tumblr. I think that's when I first started being aware of this trend... I didn't know it was called Health Goth until I saw this thread. I just assumed it was just vaporwave since those are the same people posting.

ah, i know what you mean.. ive been seeing this a lot too within vaporwave circles.. like images of women in all black burquas (or burka?) without even holes for eyes, with like maybe an adidas logo on the burka, and holding a black machine gun in one hand and a black and white Arizona Iced Tea in the other with a skatepark in the background- kinda stuff?

Exactly!

Hehe

it's starting over here too...

1425723_731250780235700_1160575047_n.jpg

1975127_795151463845631_589193749_n.jpg?

1625649_791522674208510_593683154_n.jpg?

10302242_853060558054721_688113428166684

10592721_931950623499047_264180264101601

10629725_939875392706570_179747136305900

As an old person, the interesting thing about this (and vaporwave to a degree) is how constructed it feels compared to how scenes grew organically in the pre-internet days.

I mean obviously there was a constructed element to scenes even back then, but it seems like they grew in a much more organic manner. Now things are defined, regimented, and categorized with little room for variety. Everything is so very obviously a product, a unit of consumption.

Is it just more honest now?

As an old person, the interesting thing about this (and vaporwave to a degree) is how constructed it feels compared to how scenes grew organically in the pre-internet days.

I mean obviously there was a constructed element to scenes even back then, but it seems like they grew in a much more organic manner. Now things are defined, regimented, and categorized with little room for variety. Everything is so very obviously a product, a unit of consumption.

I think it's just more sub-scenes that get named; witch house, seapunk, and vaporwave were super close, and frankly it's not much different from any of the other stuff. In 20 years we'll look back and it'll all be one internet aesthetic, and I'm actually super stoked that I'm some sort of part of it. But you're definitely right, there's too many names for everything.

I think it's just more sub-scenes that get named; witch house, seapunk, and vaporwave were super close, and frankly it's not much different from any of the other stuff. In 20 years we'll look back and it'll all be one internet aesthetic, and I'm actually super stoked that I'm some sort of part of it. But you're definitely right, there's too many names for everything.

Yeah I feel like that there's some parallels to the past - like all the arguably needless genres and subgenres of hardcore techno for example (or drum n' bass) - that was a pre-internet phenomenon. A look at reggae/dub music and you have the whole riddim tradition from the 70s onward. Hip-hop has always had "fundamental" samples and references - things like samples of Wild Style of "Think About It" were not just sampled over and over but producers would sample songs that sampled those things.

In the past though, the insiders knew all the nuances but the outside listeners didn't really know or care - the difference was that there was enough space between the two because of things like regional separations and more levels between accessing such subcultures - record stores, clubs, fanzines, cassette trading. Now it's all instantaneous and the shelf-life is so short that organic growth and evolution is just non-existent. Watching things like the term "dubstep" warp into something completely opposite of it's original meaning is a good example. That's why I can't get too hung up on anything. It'll be all documented (which is nice) but I have no idea if the history of present-day movements will be recorded in a efficient manner.

Speaking of vaporwave, there are a lot of sincere fans actually creating archives and wikis to make sense of it all - especially as noob "fans" inundate vaporwave fan pages on social media and bastardize or misuse the term. It's cool seeing people take the time to ensure some sense of canon for something like that.

Archived