IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what pissed me off about the last releases is that they're good no question, but to me aphex work is supposed to always be levels above anything else... Gets bonus points for trying diferent stuff

listening on the ripped speed is ok, but put it on vlc on the slighlty faster option and its better

thx for the tip. yeah, def. hope rip is 33rpm. 45rpm is def hawt! :D

edit: rip feels like the wrong speed! should be faster! (np diskhat 1)

I really do hope this is the start of an Analord like series. I still am a little bit tripped out by the drum loop editing on those first two tracks though. I guess I would have expected especially after the mostly unedited/raw sounding nature of Analord he'd let the acoustic instruments breath a little more, strange that the break on Syro in Xmaxevet10 sounds more organic and robot played than the breaks in the first two tracks. That criticism aside this is a beast of an EP, the songs with melody are beautiful compositions regardless of what he used to make the sounds. Some of these tracks almost remind of me of SAWII but played on real instruments, like what alarm will sound would have sounded like if their translations weren't so wonky. I still didn't get my fix of 'mental beats' played with a robot drummer, in some ways Squarepusher's 'music for robots' got closer in terms of inhumanly fast complex rhythms, but that had many of it's own problems (the compositions were deeply Dad jazz boring and the timbers and tones of the guitars and drums were weak and bland). I feel like where APhex comes ahead most on this compared to Pusher is the recording quality makes it sound like you are in the room surrounded by these robot instruments, its very organic and full sounding. No matter how hard squarepusher tries Richard still has a much better ear for mixing/eqing and recording.

Joyrex or other mods, would it be too "early" to rip a couple of proper Aphex break loops for an EKT competition? I think it would be fun for some of the breaky ekters to try making tunes out of some of these drum loops. I already have the loops chopped and ready to go, but I didn't want to post since the album has no preview clips up yet

edit: I posted it on my facebook page for now if anyone wants to give it a try. Would love to hear what Wisp, Techdiff, Heorge Garrison, wAgAwAgA, Jodey Kendrick or Amen Warrior can do with these...

edit2: the 2 'breaks' as far as im concerned are

#8 - 0035 1-Audio

&

#6 - hat 2b 2012b

Joyrex or other mods, would it be too "early" to rip a couple of proper Aphex break loops for an EKT competition? I think it would be fun for some of the breaky ekters to try making tunes out of some of these drum loops. I already have the loops chopped and ready to go, but I didn't want to post since the album has no preview clips up yet

Most likely a bit too early but I'm looking forward to having a go myself. Can't wait to get these up to 150-160 BPM and attempt a couple jungle tracks with breaks supplied by none other than RDJ. Nerd heaven.

whoa murphythecat doesn't like it

boy i did not see that coming

lol

oh look murphythecat talking crap about a release again cause it has no instant dickcheese melodies for him
he has "listened" 2 a 1000albums last year and thinks boc and autechre are overrated, what a fucking joke

lol

oh look murphythecat talking crap about a release again cause it has no instant dickcheese melodies for him
he has "listened" 2 a 1000albums last year and thinks boc and autechre are overrated, what a fucking joke

mods, I dont understand why such a inflammatory comment isnt deleted. Ivan ooze is constantly reducing and insulting every member who doesn't agree with his taste. I dont care personally, but he is one of the few members that is bullying often and repeatedly.

LOL

Most likely a bit too early but I'm looking forward to having a go myself. Can't wait to get these up to 150-160 BPM and attempt a couple jungle tracks with breaks supplied by none other than RDJ. Nerd heaven.

if you're on facebook and we're not friends send me a request here : https://www.facebook.com/FluorescentGrey/

cooking up a fast 166bpm test right now using both breaks

After 4 listens I think this album is fantastic for what it is. It has an awesome Peter Thomas sound with an ominous Hitchcock Noir vibe to it. Very cool release that calls back to Drukqs jams and Ventolin ep uniqueness.

if you're on facebook and we're not friends send me a request here : https://www.facebook.com/FluorescentGrey/

cooking up a fast 166bpm test right now using both breaks

oh wow boy would i love a go at this

What's the deal with all the playback speed conversation, I skipped the hype train on this one, was there some official word that it's specifically intended to be played at different speeds?

no its just specualtion

What's the deal with all the playback speed conversation, I skipped the hype train on this one, was there some official word that it's specifically intended to be played at different speeds?

no its just specualtion

Not to sound like a stickler but the vinyl states it can be played at both speeds. (which you can obviously do with any record) but interesting it specifically says to do so. I interpret it as RDJ saying 'have fun kids'

@ieatacid

Yes that's right and I see this new ep by Aphex as a continuation of that century old tradition of electro-mechanical music. I'm pretty sure he has been studying all these composers/inventors. He fits right in.

yes the vinyl instructions say can be played at 33 1/3rd or 45rpm, but this EP also came out on CD and the playback speed on that will probably be the defining way these tracks are meant to be heard

Luigi Russolo made experimental machine music literally over 100 years ago.

true but my problem with that kind of machine music (cf. Conlon Nancarrow; I haven't heard any Russolo pieces) is that it's highly concept-based, ie. the idea is there but the actual pieces produced are rubbish imo.

yes the vinyl instructions say can be played at 33 1/3rd or 45rpm, but this EP also came out on CD and the playback speed on that will probably be the defining way these tracks are meant to be heard

I was amazed when I first heard the ventolin cds and they were not at all how I had been listening for years on vinyl. (speed changes within single sides - listening to certain tracks at both speeds etc) I was generally surprised at the "definite" tempo of particular tracks - the coppice for instance. Then again at the time I took this to be a slight fuck-you to the cd buying public / rewarding vinyl purchasers with the option of the "correct" speed. Around the same time Sonic Youth were putting bonus tracks on vinyl releases - reversing the trend of the bonus material featuring only on the longer format cd.

Luigi Russolo made experimental machine music literally over 100 years ago.

true but my problem with that kind of machine music (cf. Conlon Nancarrow; I haven't heard any Russolo pieces) is that it's highly concept-based, ie. the idea is there but the actual pieces produced are rubbish imo.

Exactly! "Russolo did it first", yeah, right, of course, but he never composed a song that made people cry or smile. And now we have a contemporary composer of great music doing it instead of a conceptual artist so that's cool. :)

The beat on diskhat1 reminds me of a Vibert groove.

Archived