IGNORED

Ghostbusters with Female Cast

QBLA

It's a shame that the producers and financiers for hollywood movies know that the money put into an already recognizable name has a probability of a higher return on investment than a new idea/franchise.

Bottom-feeders.

This is why I don't watch movies anymore. I want something new, not something rehashed into a shell of its former self.
definetly, I guess media is just afraid of tryibg something new/different... we have this discussion in every new movie thread I feel xD

yes. money has become the defining factor behind the creative process. the investments have become so big that companies bet their entire existence on producing some billion dollar blockbuster. this is what 'too big to fail' does to the movie industry. and don't forget all those people spending their money on these blockbusters. if people wouldn't watch them, we wouldn't be burried in these crappy franchise explosions on a movie screen.

and yes we've been here many times before. venting helps though.. :)

although, not all is bad, imo. def. enjoyed the big short and that tarantino movie at the end of last year. so hollywood is still making movies for large crowds that have some (creative) value, imo. not everything is a bland franchise.

(although tarantino is a franchise on his own. and the financial crash of 2008 as well. )

ooooooo.. :S

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the only acceptable ghostbusters sequel would be called ghostbusters 3 and would be a spinal tap style mockumentary about the making of ghostbusters 3.

i wish people would just admit that this movie looks like shit. people are complaining because it looks like shit, not because it's an all female cast. but it will make money, they will make sequels, paul feig will do interviews with an air of self righteousness like a fucking ghostbusters movie just defeated misogyny. it's embarrassing.

So it isn't getting the worst reviews but people are a bunch of jerks and have already rated it down on IMDb.

a majority of the critics that gave it good reviews couldn't wait to "screw the haters" months before the film had come out, so is it any surprise that the film lived up to expectation?

surprising that stephanie loved the new film when a month ago she thought this was the "must see movie of the summer"?

but here's my favorite exchange. oh yeah, this guy loved the film btw. rated it a solid 10/10. no chance at all he's being biased either

A lot of youtubers have a HATE-boner for this film. It's ridiculous. It's related to the whole anti-feminist thing. Yeah okay there are good points to be had against the contemporary feminist philosophy of everything is a patriarchy, but FUCK are there wayyyy too many videos over hating feminists (and ghostbusters) to the point where I've stopped watching some youtubers since 60-80%% of what they make is hating on feminists. I mean, that level of feminism is a part of a very small portion of the population, and there are many MANY more people who dislike the contemporary feminist philosophy.

It's silly that the stuff gets that much attention when there are many more important things to worry about and educate yourself over. Maybe how the 1% are kinda fucking us over, or global warming, or how your vote doesn't really matter, or how the criminals on wallstreet make millions and millions a day gambling with your money... vs you know... the bad reasoning of some random feminist.

*end rant*

The first two films are great, and classic, but both highly flawed. And this, well, it's a comedy out of Hollywood in 2016. It's going to be some level of suck, the only question is how much suck are we talking?

Guest bitroast

what exactly is 'highly flawed' about the original Ghostbusters. hits the nail on the head in sarcastic, low key subtle humour + wacky humour and visuals for kids + vaguely realistic take on ghost hunting + sci fi and horror comedy vibes, all rolled in 1 80s film with rad aesthetics and props and special effects.

was born '90 and didnt really watch the film proper until i was ~18 so its not even a nostalgic thing here ... it's just a really really really solid, funny film.

the whole ghostbusters feminism shitstorm is so stupid. the film looks like cynical hollywood crap just like every other cynical hollywood crappy remake looks like crap.

The first two films are great, and classic, but both highly flawed. And this, well, it's a comedy out of Hollywood in 2016. It's going to be some level of suck, the only question is how much suck are we talking?

Ghostbusters 2 is not good.

i totally agree. the anti fem people are officially more cringe than the rabid pro fem people, and they complain way more. it's very ironic.

I wouldn't say the anti fem people are more cringy. They generally have the reasoning in the right place, but it's like being anti fem is apart of their identity. It's insane how popular of a topic bashing on feminism is. And it's such a boring and unengaging topic too. It's also very shallow in terms of depth. It's the same shit and arguments (from both sides) over and over and over. You can't help but feel like everyone on both sides are just wasting their time.

i totally agree. the anti fem people are officially more cringe than the rabid pro fem people, and they complain way more. it's very ironic.

I wouldn't say the anti fem people are more cringy. They generally have the reasoning in the right place, but it's like being anti fem is apart of their identity. It's insane how popular of a topic bashing on feminism is. And it's such a boring and unengaging topic too. It's also very shallow in terms of depth. It's the same shit and arguments (from both sides) over and over and over. You can't help but feel like everyone on both sides are just wasting their time.

lol no they dont. its just being butthurt and on the wrong side of history

the only acceptable ghostbusters sequel would be called ghostbusters 3 and would be a spinal tap style mockumentary about the making of ghostbusters 3.

i wish people would just admit that this movie looks like shit. people are complaining because it looks like shit, not because it's an all female cast. but it will make money, they will make sequels, paul feig will do interviews with an air of self righteousness like a fucking ghostbusters movie just defeated misogyny. it's embarrassing.

lol @ sig

I should've known better than to comment without triple checking in this thread...

what exactly is 'highly flawed' about the original Ghostbusters. hits the nail on the head in sarcastic, low key subtle humour + wacky humour and visuals for kids + vaguely realistic take on ghost hunting + sci fi and horror comedy vibes, all rolled in 1 80s film with rad aesthetics and props and special effects.

was born '90 and didnt really watch the film proper until i was ~18 so its not even a nostalgic thing here ... it's just a really really really solid, funny film.

the whole ghostbusters feminism shitstorm is so stupid. the film looks like cynical hollywood crap just like every other cynical hollywood crappy remake looks like crap.

Both have flaws, 2 more so than 1. To better state, both are moderately flawed with 2 having a greater amount. 1 loses its pacing IMO, the effects/creatures often cross the line over 'silly fun' and into 'well that's just stupid and looks cheap/shitty' (and yes even when I was 8 it still looked cheap), much of the romance is weak and forced, the characters are clichés that sometimes works, sometimes just comes off as lazy writing/acting, poor black Ghostbusters is almost ignored and seems totally forgettable, the ending is fun but drowns in its own sweetness...etc., etc., etc.

Ghostbusters 2 is not good.
2 shares much of the wins from the first one and is nearly as enjoyable, IMO.

So the patriarchy is everywhere? Every guy is a misogynist? The backlash against ghostbusters is solely from hating on women? Yeah whatever. The whole anti-feminist movement arose as backlash against the radical feminist movement. It isn't silly that the movement arose, but how big it is. It's over-important and a waste of time.

I am not talking about men's rights or whatever either, I have no clue what they're on about. I think it's just the male version of feminism. I'm just talking about the movement against the feminist movement (everything is sexist, and you have to point it all out).

There is no side of history here. Both sides are fringe issues that have never ever impacted my daily life. I have never been oppressed by feminism or been subject to the whims of the patriarchy. For both sides it's a shallow topic composed of a bunch of first world problems. Even though one side is more rational, the importance is way overstated.

O lad

you sure about the 'lad' part? Assuming you're talking to me. Btw your avatar still freaks me out since it looks like my sister.

Both have flaws, 2 more so than 1. To better state, both are moderately flawed with 2 having a greater amount. 1 loses its pacing IMO, the effects/creatures often cross the line over 'silly fun' and into 'well that's just stupid and looks cheap/shitty' (and yes even when I was 8 it still looked cheap), much of the romance is weak and forced, the characters are clichés that sometimes works, sometimes just comes off as lazy writing/acting, poor black Ghostbusters is almost ignored and seems totally forgettable, the ending is fun but drowns in its own sweetness...etc., etc., etc.

I agree. I mean it's at least in part a kids movie so. I kinda wish I was a kid and wasn't so critical of things. My little brother thinks everything is great. I wish I still had that attitude. O well.

jesus christ shut the fuck up

Did I hurt your feelings? I'm sowwwy.

The reality is both movements are just.. silly and a waste of time. Yes there are actual issues like women's wages being a little lower here in the US but the idea that there is a patriarchy, and that all media is inherently sexist is absurd. I am assuming triachus disagrees, and that's okay. If he could stop being rude for a second and explain himself vs be an ass.

By the way, if you aren't going to come up with a counter point, quit replying to me. I'm not an asshole to you so I ask you to not be one to me.

So the patriarchy is everywhere? Every guy is a misogynist? The backlash against ghostbusters is solely from hating on women? Yeah whatever. The whole anti-feminist movement arose as backlash against the radical feminist movement. It isn't silly that the movement arose, but how big it is. It's over-important and a waste of time.

I am not talking about men's rights or whatever either, I have no clue what they're on about. I think it's just the male version of feminism. I'm just talking about the movement against the feminist movement (everything is sexist, and you have to point it all out).

There is no side of history here. Both sides are fringe issues that have never ever impacted my daily life. I have never been oppressed by feminism or been subject to the whims of the patriarchy. For both sides it's a shallow topic composed of a bunch of first world problems. Even though one side is more rational, the importance is way overstated.

yes it is. "radical feminists" have to be annoying so we pay attention to them and really think about how insane it is the way women are treated and constantly marginalized and sexualized in our society. which is unfair and unacceptable and stupid. won't argue about this anymore because it's pointless but you are coming across as a dbag here and of course men have this horrible kneejerk reaction to being told that so i can't wait for your next post lol

yes it is. "radical feminists" have to be annoying so we pay attention to them and really think about how insane it is the way women are treated and constantly marginalized and sexualized in our society. which is unfair and unacceptable and stupid. won't argue about this anymore because it's pointless but you are coming across as a dbag here and of course men have this horrible kneejerk reaction to being told that so i can't wait for your next post lol

Can you provide examples? I'm not above changing my mind. I won't tell you to 'shut the fuck up' for instance while you're providing examples. You know what? I don't think less of people for having different opinions either...Triachus. I just don't. Everyone I know has different opinions. I can try to change them, but I'm not going to drop my IRL friends just because we think differently.

I am simply tired of the REAL problems facing the world being directed to the people. The backlash against ghostbusters is an example. It's become a man vs woman thing. It's silly.

I also can't tell if you're messing with me from the 'annoying' comment. Understand that I agree that men and women are UNEVEN. But how much is a different thing. It isn't as much as contemporary feminism states. It just isn't man.

And no it isn't 'pointless'. Unless I start cussing you out, which is something I've NEVER done. If you can further explain your position then maybe I'll see how I'm wrong. I've been wrong before.

I'm interested in the truth, not my feelings attached to some opinion of mine.

it's pointless but you are coming across as a dbag here

uh, ok whatever. Next time I'll use a ton of euphemisms so my direct language doesn't cut so hard or whatever. Honestly I was in debate for 5 years, and I learned to be as direct as possible. If you're trying to convince somebody of something, beating around the bush isn't the way to do it.

Archived