IGNORED

Alien 5

Soloman Tump

Guest trananhhung

So much truth in this post that it hurts. Guys, Hollywood is dead. You can't expect anything good coming out of it. It's filled with people with no taste and the few that have it are totally controlled by system. They want to appeal to everyone and make the most insipid products. It's not cinema anymore. We have an entire generation who grew up with videogame narratives writing films. Games aren't turning cinematic, films are turning into videogames.

Sweeping generalisation that has been valid since Hollywoods conception and is no more valid or correct now.

You know absolutely zero about film history, don't you? I'm talking about how the language of film has changed into something that isn't cinema anymore and that is highly influenced by videogame style narratives and exposition. Compare the original Robocop with the recent remake. Or see the last Tolkien films. I'm taking about editing and visual composition and framing. If you can't see how that's changed in Hollywood i

can only assume you know nothing.

And I'm just talking about technical details. During the 40s you had William Faulkner, Raymond chandler and Hemingway writing scripts for Hollywood. Who do you have now? Sorry for being the angel of doom but if you can't understand that Hollywood hasn't changed then there's nothing I can do about it.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much truth in this post that it hurts. Guys, Hollywood is dead. You can't expect anything good coming out of it. It's filled with people with no taste and the few that have it are totally controlled by system. They want to appeal to everyone and make the most insipid products. It's not cinema anymore. We have an entire generation who grew up with videogame narratives writing films. Games aren't turning cinematic, films are turning into videogames.

Sweeping generalisation that has been valid since Hollywoods conception and is no more valid or correct now.

You know absolutely zero about film history, don't you? I'm talking about how the language of film has changed into something that isn't cinema anymore and that is highly influenced by videogame style narratives and exposition. Compare the original Robocop with the recent remake. Or see the last Tolkien films. I'm taking about editing and visual composition and framing. If you can't see how that's changed in Hollywood i

And I'm just talking about technical details. During the 40s you had William Faulkner, Raymond chandler and Hemingway writing scripts for Hollywood. Who do you have now? Sorry for being the angel of doom but if you can't understand that Hollywood hasn't changed then there's nothing I can do about it.

yeah i've noticed this too, can provide any links to articles about this?

http://www.reddit.com/r/iamverysmart

I'm not into debating who knows most with someone who knows nothing about me, but are you trying to say that the ratio of famous novelists writing screenplays was higher then? Is that an undisputed fact that someone has bothered to prove or are you just biased towards novelists from the 40s and assume that every script they wrote was gold?

And have you sat down and watched every film from 1940 and made unbiased notes and then done this with those from 2014 [even an equal sized random selection].

Cos all I'm saying is that your rose tinted view of film history is probably just that, and unless you were around then to see it with your own eyes and not through academia delivered in a world Criteron DVD reissues and retro film festivals then I can only assume you know nothing.

Lol wow I'm learning so much about film history just by casually reading a WATMM thread about the potential Alien 5 that might be directed by the weak-ass Neil Blomkap. Amazing how great the internet is. :cerious:

Lol wow I'm learning so much about film history just by casually reading a WATMM thread about the potential Alien 5 that might be directed by the weak-ass Neil Blomkap. Amazing how great the internet is. :cerious:

I just recently learned that nothing means anything at all even slightly nada and I've been viewing movies completely different since although my lecturer says what I am saying doesn't make any sense but who the fuck is he washed up failure fuck off.

I'm not into debating who knows most with someone who knows nothing about me, but are you trying to say that the ratio of famous novelists writing screenplays was higher then? Is that an undisputed fact that someone has bothered to prove or are you just biased towards novelists from the 40s and assume that every script they wrote was gold?

And have you sat down and watched every film from 1940 and made unbiased notes and then done this with those from 2014 [even an equal sized random selection].

Cos all I'm saying is that your rose tinted view of film history is probably just that, and unless you were around then to see it with your own eyes and not through academia delivered in a world Criteron DVD reissues and retro film festivals then I can only assume you know nothing.

oh look some guy on the internet has an opinion, i better take it as gospel.

Well it's not exactly a secret that Hollywood has reached a new low. You dont have to be a naive millennial or a lame dad to state the obvious.

More sequels/reboots than ever, etc. shit everywhere, etc.

Birdman was somewhat refreshing and the awards it took last night kinda sorta show that maybe there's some breath left in Hollywood...

but that's different, there's defo nothing left for the Alien "franchise", it's been molested way too much already..

Unrelated, but I wish they had handed it to Cuarón instead, I don't think Blomkamp is the right guy for this franchise at all.

yeah Elysium was pretty shit

The script was pretty dodgy in places, and more than a couple of overly cheesy directorial choices. Overall it was mildly entertaining but visually excellent. District 9 was much better, Chappie could go either way, one of the trailers makes it look terrible, another great. I get the impression writing may be his main flaw, working with a great script he could make a great Alien I think.

Unfortunately, although H-Wood has always been a self-serving business, now more than ever its productions are lowest common denominator trash. The sheer fact that Birdman AND Whiplash got released this year is a miracle in itself. And of all people didnt Will Ferrell come out with summat about jack of all trades/hard time to make decent movies recently too (and b4 any1 judges that statement i properly lol @ some of his buffoonery).

Alien FIVE doe? As Colonel Walter Kurtz once explained,,,,,,,"the horror,,,,,,,the horror,,,,,,,,,"

Alien FIVE doe? As Colonel Walter Kurtz once explained,,,,,,,"the horror,,,,,,,the horror,,,,,,,,,"

I think it's perfect time for Hollywood to start working on "Apocalypse Now Again"

Archived