IGNORED

NAMM 2016 : The thread

d-a-m-o

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loathe him and his mannerisms

aw, really? I think he's adorable and has a great positive attitude with amazing improv skills for gear demos.. whenever I'm looking at synth videos I always consult him and Nick Batt before anyone else

Guest bitroast

ye. i found him annoying at first tbh but after watching a couple of vids realised his attitude is pretty solid and he's always happy to go with whatever the fuck mess he's conjuring up for the purposes of continuing the demo and explaining the features and how to work with em. good dude.

Guest Chesney

Yeah he's a really lovely dude I reckon. At first I thought he was acting aloof and odd but I think he's just a proper nice geek.

Yeah he's a really lovely dude I reckon. At first I thought he was acting aloof and odd but I think he's just a proper nice geek.

Aye plus that keyboard sounds well nice ! What's powering the internal synth - is it samples, physical modelling, witchcraft ? Is it the same thing Amon Tobin was using in this interview a couple years back (at 2 min 30s):

I think it comes with its own software synth that already has the extra control mapped to it. Ultimately though it's a midi controller that you can assign to whatever you want.

£5k though last time I looked. Fuck that...

I loathe him and his mannerisms

aw, really? I think he's adorable and has a great positive attitude with amazing improv skills for gear demos.. whenever I'm looking at synth videos I always consult him and Nick Batt before anyone else

yeah i don't mind him at all. i did realize before posting here that there was a vocal base here that disliked him tho =\

Cuckoo makes some fun videos. Seems like a genuinely nice guy with a real passion for music. I don't think I could hang out with him for more than an hour without being seriously annoyed, though...but that says more about me a jackass than about him. :)

sent using magic space waves

from operator-1.com regarding te announcements:

cuckoo8:04AM

I'm under NDA this time... Tune in on thursday at 10.00 L.A. time for a first batch of information.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I'm starting to think it might be something to integrate the Pocket Operators onto the OP-1 for some reason. Hope it isn't a device that turns your beard into a midi controller. They did make those shoes with a midi sensor in them for the Oplab so it could be something useless. A new OP update looks likely, so it will be like getting a freebie from the show without having to attend :)

Other NAMM stuff I've seen is a Waves live mixer thing and there was a rumour of a Roland Poly going about but I think it's been dismissed.

I wasn't purely talking about build quality, though saying that don't forget the 80s were 30~ years ago. It doesn't matter how well something is made, it will deteriorate after normal use and wear and tear. My main concern is that you never know how somebody else has treated them and that's why I don't like to buy used electronics.

Not to mention vintage synths of any quality are pretty much unobtainable to anyone without money to burn.

Sure, used can be a bit of a gamble.

But there are lots of vintage analogs that are $500 or under that kill the minilogue in terms of features and/or sound. Still seems like a cool synth tho.

name some

if you want cheap analog polyphony and use ableton with max 4 live, all later polyphonic rolands can be easily edited with a midi controller, like alpha junos and jx8p (basically anything midi-fied that uses the pg controllers). its roughly half the price of a new minilogue for jx8p+akai midimix combo (akai is the cheapest knobby/fadery controller i found). same for alpha juno. you can also use a bcr2000 and skip a computer, but i think you may need a midi splitter to not lose the midi in.

three new te pocket operator rumors all but confirmed. hopefully they have more to announce than that though...

https://www.instagram.com/hateohatestate/

I wasn't purely talking about build quality, though saying that don't forget the 80s were 30~ years ago. It doesn't matter how well something is made, it will deteriorate after normal use and wear and tear. My main concern is that you never know how somebody else has treated them and that's why I don't like to buy used electronics.

Not to mention vintage synths of any quality are pretty much unobtainable to anyone without money to burn.

Sure, used can be a bit of a gamble.

But there are lots of vintage analogs that are $500 or under that kill the minilogue in terms of features and/or sound. Still seems like a cool synth tho.

name some

if you want cheap analog polyphony and use ableton with max 4 live, all later polyphonic rolands can be easily edited with a midi controller, like alpha junos and jx8p (basically anything midi-fied that uses the pg controllers). its roughly half the price of a new minilogue for jx8p+akai midimix combo (akai is the cheapest knobby/fadery controller i found). same for alpha juno. you can also use a bcr2000 and skip a computer, but i think you may need a midi splitter to not lose the midi in.

this sounds incredibly cumbersome and not at all cheaper than the minilogue ;p

Guest Chesney

Never really felt much about Amon Tobins music but that little interview expressed exactly how I feel about it all it makes me want to dig right into his music and give it the time it deserves. Sounds like a great bloke.

Archived