IGNORED

New producers forum

fxbip

Mat Zo (very good dance music producer for those of you who dont know,was nominated same time as AFX for Syro at Grammy for his album) has started a new forum for producers,its entirely devoted to production it has no general discussion ,marketing aspect of music or stuff like that,its only about making music.

For now it seems to be pretty much only dance music producers but there is a few black sheeps in there too.

Its just starting out but its a pretty cool place check it out.

https://theproducersforum.com/

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Electronic musicians should start thinking of themselves as "composers"

not "producers"

I prefer 'creator of everlasting unique arts' but composers isn't bad I guess I mean like that Bach guy was one and he had a couple cool hits rite?

Guest Chesney

I won't be going on there then. People that tag themselves as a "Producer" just puts me off. It says so many things to me that I start to unfairly judge them based on what I feel constitutes an artist. Which is wrong, who cares. Just say you make some music and enjoy it.

ah i knew it! the forum didn't pass the 'browsing while listening to quaristice' test. sorry!

i guess the forum is more suitable for the xltronic crew

i don't think of myself as a composer or producer... i'm just a fucking idiot with a few synths and that...i just like flashing lights and knobs really...i like to feel like i'm at the controls of a spaceship. electronic music shouldn't be taken too seriously i don't think...it's just a bit of a laugh innit.

i don't think of myself as a composer or producer... i'm just a fucking idiot with a few synths and that...i just like flashing lights and knobs really...i like to feel like i'm at the controls of a spaceship. electronic music shouldn't be taken too seriously i don't think...it's just a bit of a laugh innit.

definetly, imma go see if I can start a dancecore/shitcore movement on there

Yup.

electronic music shouldn't be taken too seriously i don't think...it's just a bit of a laugh innit.

Why is electronic music different than anything else? Because you can make music on a laptop without knowing what you're doing (unlike, say, violin or whatever)?

Most electronic music is amateurish as fuck. I see that as a bad thing. This "shouldn't take things too seriously" attitude sounds good on paper, unless it means you have zero interest in improving your craft.

I don't get it. Folks (secretly) dreaming of being on Warp Records, while advocating this "hey, it's just a wank" attitude.

What would happen if y'all obsessively studied your craft? Imagine how fucking amazing your stuff could be. Imagine an electronic musician who knew how to use dynamics, voice-leading, counterpoint, development of a motif, polytonality, metric modulation, articulation, etc

There hasn't yet been an electronic musician who knows this stuff (not really). I hope you agree that that's some sad-ass shit, and nothing us electronic musicians should be proud of. This 'weekend warrior pride' shit needs to die IMO.

Imagine an electronic musician who knew how to make a fuckin banger though

P.S. I say all of the above as someone with a traditional music education who is admittedly weak on the 'production' side of things.

Guest Chesney

I get you Limpy but It has nothing to do with the music. I take my music really seriously but the rest after that no so much as I'm not looking for people to love my music and blow smoke up my arse. That stuff can lead to less time making good music and more hunger for kudos. Sure, it's a wicked feeling when someone digs your music, Nothing better in fact but a level of humility is key to stay grounded and keep the music in check.

I'd argue that the more people take the promotion side of things seriously the more flimsy and weak the music is.

Yep, we'd all like to be signed to warp with our idols but really, is that going to happen? No.

I have just looked on the forum out of interest and as I predicted, it's not a place I could spend time, damn, I really shouldn't be here either. The types of music it is showcasing do not resonate with me and we would have nothing in common, even though the idea of just chatting music geeky shit would be cool.

I get you Limpy but It has nothing to do with the music. I take my music really seriously but the rest after that no so much as I don't really want people to love my music and blow smoke up my arse. That stuff can lead to less time making good music and more hunger for kudos. Sure, it's a wicked feeling when someone digs your music, Nothing better in fact but a level of humility is key to stay grounded and keep the music in check.

I'd argue that the more people take the promotion side of things seriously the more flimsy and weak the music is.

Yep, we'd all like to be signed to warp with our idols but really, is that going to happen? No.

I have just looked on the forum out of interest and as I predicted, it's not a place I could spend time, damn, I really shouldn't be here either. The types of music it is showcasing do not resonate with me and we would have nothing in common, even though the idea of just chatting music geeky shit would be cool.

Huh?

I am NOT talking about promotion or humility

Guest Chesney

You said music should be taken seriously and I argued that people do take the music seriously but do not want to be seen as promoting hard.

Taking something seriously is not the same as being good at it. You can only make music at the level of knowledge of skill you have.

You said music should be taken seriously and I argued that people do take the music seriously but do not want to be seen as promoting hard.

Taking something seriously is not the same as being good at it. You can only make music at the level of knowledge of skill you have.

My premise is that people don't actually take the music seriously. I would argue that about 33% of being a musician is being a musicologist: Dissecting what has come before to see how it works.

Well nobody does that.

For instance, you will never hear an electronic musician use a "Messiaen mode." You will probably never meet one who knows what they are or what they sound like. You will never hear an electronic musician who is good at voice-leading.

What I see is people drawing major triads in a piano roll and then getting bummed that it doesn't sound cool, and then consulting a producers' forum for advice.

Archived