IGNORED

Antwood - Virtuous.scr

Nil

sounds a lot like Arca, Herndon, Mesh and many new artists making this post whatever sounds but I really cant get into this genre...
it just sounds like a chaotic arragment of Samplepacks and cheap Soft Synths

• 5 months later...

sounds a lot like Arca, Herndon, Mesh and many new artists making this post whatever sounds but I really cant get into this genre...

i thought it was kinda boring

Ditto! It's just too wanky, too serious, too much focus on sounding modern, and no sense of composition. I am pretty sure there are zero melodies in this album.

Ironically, it reminds me of that Mike P interview for the Mike and Rich reissue- there's been a rise in po-faced electronic music (just as in the 90s), and humorous stuff seems to be kind of frowned upon in a lot of circles at the moment. At least when Breakcore was big, despite some of the downsides, people seemed to have a sense of humor about it.

Ditto! It's just too wanky, too serious, too much focus on sounding modern, and no sense of composition. I am pretty sure there are zero melodies in this album.

Ironically, it reminds me of that Mike P interview for the Mike and Rich reissue- there's been a rise in po-faced electronic music (just as in the 90s), and humorous stuff seems to be kind of frowned upon in a lot of circles at the moment. At least when Breakcore was big, despite some of the downsides, people seemed to have a sense of humor about it.

Which is why everyone who wants more silly, weird, fun electronic music should check out Orange Milk Records, they are on top of their game!  For the record I liked the Antwood record but haven't really gone back for repeat listens.

hm yeah never really thought about it but there's a serious lack of humour and self-awareness on most electronic releases nowadays. Which was one of the appealing things about (going back to) Garden of Delete, the tongue-in-cheek attitude and conscious OTT-ness while taking itself 100% seriously

• 4 weeks later...

Which is why everyone who wants more silly, weird, fun electronic music should check out Orange Milk Records, they are on top of their game!  For the record I liked the Antwood record but haven't really gone back for repeat listens.

THIS. In fact in an interview one of the label owners mentioned he wanted to be opposite of a label like PAN ethos wise, who they musically like a lot but find way to self-serious and stifling.

I liked this ok, not as much as Amnesia Scanner or Rabit or WWWINGS or some of the other stuff I was recommended by other watmmers but I know what you mean. Fatima Al Qadiri is a great example - every release she does gets more pretentious and overwrought with intellectual nonsense while sounding increasingly like someone scrolling though a sound library of a mid-90s Sega Genesis game. I much rather listen to Jlin or some other unabashed footwork or grime being made by a person having fun and not overthinking their music, not some half-baked bullshit made by an art student on a trendy label with a hardworking PR team.

• 1 month later...

I would recommend WWWINGs a lot, they are all producers from far flung parts of Ukraine and Russia who collaborate over the internet and are pretty varied in sound and approach - really gloomy dark and unabashed stuff, more in the vein of good breakcore or industrial music.

I like your post Blank. I'll try to give it another listen, louder while I'm not at work. I don't have anything against concept- I have wanted to make so many entirely concept based albums, and it's cool to see people follow a concept through. I just have a hard time when folks try to push a trite concept with no sense of tongue in cheek humor... and I get tired of the same concepts getting rehashed over and over again when there are so many themes out there. I feel like NYC Hell 3am is a great example of a good concept album, because they pull off the serious side of the concept awesomely, while also having some goofy fun with it

• 2 weeks later...

Archived