IGNORED

EU

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky Russia didn't decide to roll tanks into Turkey today.

Yeah.

Also good that, so far, none of the affected parties are finger pointing across the pond (Russia vs Nato bs) as if they were involved?

That's good right? I'm so uneducated when it comes to this stuff. 

Yeah.

Also good that, so far, none of the affected parties are finger pointing across the pond (Russia vs Nato bs) as if they were involved?

That's good right? I'm so uneducated when it comes to this stuff. 

Russian media reported that it could very well be a secret operation orchestrated by The West. At least the official tone is a lot more conciliatory. 

Yeah, Russians are a little sensitive about this kind of shit. But maybe it's a false flag to show how well they can work with the Donald.

Also yes Stephen, it's good that there are no official accusations yet.

But maybe it's a false flag to show how well they can work with the Donald.

I was thinking this myself. Hopefully everyone just stays rational. Maybe they will legit attempt to work peacefully with Donaldo and vice versa. Won't hold my breath but I sure hope so, would really be to everyone's benefit. This constant escalation is tiring.

9 dead, 50 critical but still no confirmation on motive, news at 10 just said this could just be a road traffic accident. I doubt it somehow.

12 dead. Still no official motive but Merkel just spoke of it as an attack..

Info is vague but guy is allegedly Afghani or Pakistani, came to Germany as refugee this year.

So this will fuel a fire I guess.

tbh I'm still more afraid of traffic than of terrorists personally, e.g. 6 cyclists were run over and killed by trucks in Berlin this year alone.

Nah, both sides have too much to gain from blaming other people for this. Putin can use it as proof that the Syrian rebels are all terrorists, vindicating their recent antics there. Erdogan can blame the Kurds or the Gulenists or whoever. Great excuse for him to launch another purge

Yes there are some "synergies" there, but there have been significant recent tensions between Russia and Turkey, and Russia doesn't take this kind of shit lightly.

Situation most likely still very tense there, but seems likely they will continue to use their alliance over Syria to prevent further escalation. Which is lucky, cause turkey being a part of NATO and all...

While I certainly see that Merkel's "Wir Schaffen Das" is the epitaph of the EU, and thus we associate dealing in Germany as being EU politics, I certainly do not see how this belongs in the EU thread.

Nor do I see how the discussion of the assassination of the Russian Ambasador in Turkey fits in this thread as well (though i certainly understand the association with Turkey, migration, Erdogan and all that jazz..) still Turkey is no member of the EU, and probably will not become a member of the EU since .. well since the EU is falling apart basically.

ussr, do you also see a trend from the EU and US in vilifying Russia? Do you also believe, like me, that it's being done in hopes of forging an unified European Union and United States? Nothing forms a group like having a common enemy.

boring? why?

tensions between west and russia have been building for a long time. and for good reasons, imo. tensions especially worsened due to events in ukraine (crimea and the plane that was shot down). these tensions have not much to do with some "forging" of either a unified west, eu or otherwise. at least, not from the western perspective. the russian perspective is an entirely different beast though.

the tensions, from the western perspective have more to do with russia's attitude with respect to former members of the russian union which are eyeing being part of either nato or eu, human rights issues within russia and concerns about the democracy. to the extent russia currently still functions as some kind of democracy. those tensions are very similar to tensions wrt china, imo. and like the tensions wrt russia, the tensions wrt china have nothing to do with "forging" a unified EU.

if there's one thing "forging" a unified EU, it's the after effects of the financial crash. still. other thing is dealing with the stream of refugees. both problems require some sort of unified EU-actions.  

the problem with Russia is it never developed properly as a country, it went from a basically feudal system straight to communism, and when that collapsed it descended into corruption and plutocracy. it would be nice if they could try and sort out their shit on their own for a while without trying to fuck up the rest of the world's shit.

boring? why?

tensions between west and russia have been building for a long time. and for good reasons, imo. tensions especially worsened due to events in ukraine (crimea and the plane that was shot down). these tensions have not much to do with some "forging" of either a unified west, eu or otherwise. at least, not from the western perspective. the russian perspective is an entirely different beast though.

the tensions, from the western perspective have more to do with russia's attitude with respect to former members of the russian union which are eyeing being part of either nato or eu, human rights issues within russia and concerns about the democracy. to the extent russia currently still functions as some kind of democracy. those tensions are very similar to tensions wrt china, imo. and like the tensions wrt russia, the tensions wrt china have nothing to do with "forging" a unified EU.

if there's one thing "forging" a unified EU, it's the after effects of the financial crash. still. other thing is dealing with the stream of refugees. both problems require some sort of unified EU-actions.

But what about the lizard people maaaaaan?

I was joking. In all seriousness, it's the lizard people.

Also, love those British editorials where Brits come to the conclusion they actually haven't got a clue about the EU perspective when it comes to the Brexit negotiations:

http://www.ecfr.eu/article/commentary_uk_brexit_debate_still_missing_the_point_7206

In the absence of real-world consequences, and with the British government reluctant to indicate its policy whilst it struggles to work out what on earth that should be, speculation has filled the void. How best can we ‘take back control’ without crashing the economy? Was it a ‘hard’ or a ‘soft’ Brexit we voted for? Unsurprisingly, this national conversation has been largely inward-facing, concerned above all to puzzle out what sort of future relationship with the EU a bitterly divided country might settle for.

What the continentals might settle for has been less discussed, and usually brushed off with cheery references to the interests of German car makers and Italian wine growers. This is a pity, since negotiations seldom go well if you do not understand where the other side is coming from.

And some argument about why article 50 might have already been triggered!!!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/jo-maugham-article-50-already-triggered-brexit-government-2016-12?international=true&r=UK&IR=T

"If you look at the terms of Article 50 itself, one of the terms is there has to be a decision and there has to be notification. The government's position is there has been a decision. So, what you're left with is the requirement that there be notification. We know that in October Theresa May met with her fellow leaders at an EU council meeting and told them we were leaving. Now, there's no requirement in Article 50 that notification must be served on heavy watermarked paper. There is no requirement for formality at all.

"If you then cast your net more widely and you look around at the surrounding circumstances, you can see that the EU are now meeting privately without us. Article 50 says this is something that is not supposed to happen until after we have triggered it. If you look at the fact that the EU has appointed negotiators — that's something that's not supposed to happen until after we have triggered Article 50. If you look at the fact they've formulated their negotiating strategy — that's something that shouldn't happen until after you trigger Article 50.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived