IGNORED

µ-Ziq - RY30 Trax

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how can you disagree with vinyl but then be staunchly against supporting an artist unless there's a CD release. I seriously can't make sense of that.

i don't staunchly refuse to support, i just tend to calmly move to the next album of interest that i can buy. me stating "no cd, so sale" is me popping into the thread to see what the new album was about, seeing there's a format option missing that i prefer, and letting anyone who might change that situation know.

don't disagree with vinyl at all, just don't buy into it at all these days (although i did do regularly 15 - 20 years back with electronica) because i find it a minefield of aspects designed to attract collectors and speculators, to such an extent that you don't even have much (if any) choice about being drawn into those aspects of it. a CD still tends to be a CD, rarely gets particularly valuable even if limited.

agreed this one a true lost classic...def one of mike's finest. apparently no labels were interested in it at the time. how bizarre.

regarding the cd/vinyl debate, i personally believe in respecting an artist's choice of how they wish to distribute their music...even if it can seem a bit wrong-headed at times. i still buy and listen to vinyl, cassettes...and even CDs. but also use spotify a lot. but each to their own eh?

how can you disagree with vinyl but then be staunchly against supporting an artist unless there's a CD release. I seriously can't make sense of that.

i don't staunchly refuse to support, i just tend to calmly move to the next album of interest that i can buy. me stating "no cd, so sale" is me popping into the thread to see what the new album was about, seeing there's a format option missing that i prefer, and letting anyone who might change that situation know.

don't disagree with vinyl at all, just don't buy into it at all these days (although i did do regularly 15 - 20 years back with electronica) because i find it a minefield of aspects designed to attract collectors and speculators, to such an extent that you don't even have much (if any) choice about being drawn into those aspects of it. a CD still tends to be a CD, rarely gets particularly valuable even if limited.

agreed this one a true lost classic...def one of mike's finest. apparently no labels were interested in it at the time. how bizarre.

regarding the cd/vinyl debate, i personally believe in respecting an artist's choice of how they wish to distribute their music...even if it can seem a bit wrong-headed at times. i still buy and listen to vinyl, cassettes...and even CDs. but also use spotify a lot. but each to their own eh?

i can respect what the artists chooses to release and how they choose to release it, but it doesn't mean i agree with it. as you say, we all have our preferences. kind of baffles me that, in the age of poor music sales, that more bases wouldn't be covered more automatically, and in the age of dodgy downloads, that digital is a format people hope to make money from. i think the mental barrier that an artist has to leap in order to have faith in physical formats acts as a quality control mechanism, too. i certainly like the risk of putting my money on the line and learning from how i've spent it also.

^ I agree with you to an extent. I find in the physical format there's even a much different process to the listening experience, putting the physical format on, listening through it (vs fast forwarding through parts you don't like on your ipod, etc).

That said, it seems really silly to not buy exclusively digital content when the things I've posted above are easily managed via self control.

And Mike has never had any problems with quality control, IMO. Enjoy ry30 trax, I recommend it. =)

Guest bitroast

when something is physical only (ie. deluxe vinyl only edition that costs an arm and a leg + worldwide shipping to australia = $$$) i totally understand the 'no digital, no purchase' philosophy.

refusing to buy something because it is digital only tho seems weird. digital is allowing artists to distribute music in ways that werent possible in past. ie. if it weren't for digital only, then its more likely that this just wouldnt see the light of day.

refusing to buy something because it is digital only tho seems weird. digital is allowing artists to distribute music in ways that werent possible in past. ie. if it weren't for digital only, then its more likely that this just wouldnt see the light of day.

... not necessarily always a bad thing, though, surely?

plenty of people putting out any old crap, because they can record the music-like sounds they've made and sell them on bandcamp without anyone else's involvement or judgement.

So many assumptions there about the cost involved in "covering all bases" with formats. Who do you think pays for these things to come out? And what do you think those things cost to make? Further, what do you think happens if/when material product doesn't sell? Digital music is a blessing in the sense that there's zero overhead to pay on the behalf of labels and artists, and in the sense that fans have instant gratification with something they like. Therefore, no fancy artifact to hold in your hands, sure (and I've got lots of those), but more money in the pockets of content creators and less hassle for fans to acquire music they want.

This is all stuff that doesn't really need to be said though. I'm mostly just commenting on the naivete involved when someone goes "If the music was good, why didn't they press it on X format?" or "They'd sell tons of this if it were on vinyl!" - sentiments that have no grounding in the reality of releasing music.

This is all stuff that doesn't really need to be said though. I'm mostly just commenting on the naivete involved when someone goes "If the music was good, why didn't they press it on X format?" or "They'd sell tons of this if it were on vinyl!" - sentiments that have no grounding in the reality of releasing music.

so, the economics of how format choices are selected don't exist? from my perspective, i know people often say there's no CD of a release because of the cost of mastering. and we've already seen mentions around here that show many like the idea of no barriers between artist and listener - and yet most of what any of us listen to from pre-internet age will be partly done with the consideration for the medium to be released upon because physical wan't avoidable in monetising the work and it's consumption, so why no apparent acceptance that these considerations will shift in ways many find negative when physical forms are no longer necessary?

I don't really see the problem with logboy's logic.

There are albums I haven't bought because the artist is selling it on something dumb (imo) like 8-track tapes or cassette, which are of no use to me.

But I can understand that they are to others, so whatever, personal choice and stuff.

That said, I'm drifting away from buying cd to buying vinyl, especially if it comes with download/cd. I've got too many CDs starting to digitally degrade for me to hold much stock in the format for achival purposes.

Then again, nothing lasts forever: even vinyl disappears bit by bit with every play. And one strong solar flare and all our hard drives will be blank...

I guess learn to hum the tunes? But then even our memories degrade too... :catbleed:

Or maybe it's not on physical because we've something quite a lot more exciting in the pipeline?

Hook me up with this pipe.

I think you missed my point a bit.

Mostly I just wanted to point out that it's very easy and naïve to only see things from a consumer's perspective, i.e. considering that music is somehow higher quality if there was more financial backing involved. Money is just a tool, nothing more, nothing less, at least in the case of a lot of the artists we're discussing here. Think back to the days when punk bands or black metal bands would consider the low cost they paid to make their records a point of pride...and yet you never hear about their fans saying they shouldn't release something unless they can do it in a real studio, with real mastering and a high-quality physical product to somehow validate it.

In the case of these so-called format wars, I'm not picking a side. I buy a lot of vinyl, tape and CDs, and I buy a lot of digital music too. I find, personally, that they have far more in common than not, the key elements being my enjoyment of music and my satisfaction in supporting the creator of it.

So, as far as I'm aware, there is not some huge shift in the dynamics of music consumption. Different vehicles, same process. It's the expectation of consumers that has changed, and things like piracy and shitty third party marketplaces that don't adequately compensate the creators of their content, that give the illusion of some kind of new era to explore.

Tl;dr - Mike P can and will release music on any format he likes, and I'll continue to be happy about it, regardless of whether or not it all fits on the same shelf in my studio.

It has become more and more apparent the sheer underratedness of the Paradinas, hasn't it?

yeah he's like --- DA BEST.

*respectful nod/chin scratch*

^The highest honor one can receive in IDM.

It has become more and more apparent the sheer underratedness of the Paradinas, hasn't it?

yeah he's like --- DA BEST.

*respectful nod/chin scratch*

^The highest honor one can receive in IDM.

Nod/chin scratches don't pay the IDM bills

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Or maybe it's not on physical because we've something quite a lot more exciting in the pipeline?

:emotawesomepm9:  :happy:

ack! 

Mike's paying for all of us to go paintballing!!

Lol, didn't see this before.

Still really enjoying this album, some reallllly good classic era Mike P tracks on here. My favs are Lime Crumble, Rydeeno, Mydrovip, and Sinusoidal (edit: Bombadub as well actually, damn there are so many nice tracks here heh!). Had another listen through today, lovely little melodies throughout.

:happy:

Archived