IGNORED

Petty reasons to dislike music

Bechuga

Read the title then come back to me. Back? Okay. What are yours?

To start off, I am not fond of albums that are just one long song or an album without the songs being broken into their stated parts, sometimes even albums that contain only a few songs of which all of them are very long will end up relegated to the Not Listened To Often pile.

For example, if an album consists of two songs, both of which are 30 minutes, it turns me off liking it or putting it on. If that same album was those two songs broken down into smaller pieces, I would probably like it. It certainly affects how much doom metal I listen to, as well as others like DJ mixes and so on.

There is a 30 minute song by Tesseract that I love, but it's broken into six pieces, so I don't mind it being long. But Yob, who have some songs over 25 minutes, I don't like listening to. Also Earth 2, which is technically one 70 minute song broken into 3 chunks, but 3 chunks still so large I find myself not listening to it. Among others.

It is irrational. I have no defence.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is really dumb but i don't really listen to various artist compilations because i have no idea how to organize them digitally. i hate having a "various artist" tag in my artist folder that consists of dozens of albums with hundreds of artists in it. this would not be a problem if my primary music intake was on physical media.

this is really dumb but i don't really listen to various artist compilations because i have no idea how to organize them digitally. i hate having a "various artist" tag in my artist folder that consists of dozens of albums with hundreds of artists in it. this would not be a problem if my primary music intake was on physical media.

i have maybe 3 or 4 various artist comps in my collection. i simply don't enjoy listening to single tracks by different artists, very hard for me to get into the mood.*

on a similar note i don't like singles or 45s.

i'm an album man i guess.

*an exception is for so called "world music" but lots of this stuff is only available in the form of compilations so there's nothing I can do about that. plus i'm racist so I'm ok having my different Pygmy tracks lumped together.

yeah on that note i absolutely never break up albums or delete songs because i can't stand having single tracks in my library. i don't even bother with singles, which is ridiculous for an electronic music listener. and then if an album isn't very good but has a good song on it, i just delete the album and wish them better luck next time. albums til i die.

Shouldn't the topic title read "Petty Reasons Not to Like Certain Kinds of Music?"

For me, I can't stand compilations either, for the same reasons Keanu mentioned.

Oh, and I hate multi-CD releases, again because they don't translate well into the digital music management world.

yeah on that note i absolutely never break up albums or delete songs because i can't stand having single tracks in my library. i don't even bother with singles, which is ridiculous for an electronic music listener. and then if an album isn't very good but has a good song on it, i just delete the album and wish them better luck next time. albums til i die.

Geez, man - you and I are like digital music soulmates

1) Sometimes I can't help but see taste-in-music as some unconscious social or cultural game that we're playing...we seem to reject music (at least occasionally) based on the values and concepts it promotes, rather than simply whether or not the mere sounds themselves are pleasing...I don't know if that's petty or not, but it seems to not be about the music per se, but rather about ideology or morality or whatever...(e.g. I won't even give Justin Beiber a chance because of the cynical games that are being played behind the scenes, and how distasteful I find his whole persona...and who the hell is gonna give the Lost Prophets a chance? like 'yeah, the dude fucked a baby but who knows, might have some killer riffs')

2) There's something weird going on with our need to categorize things...and perhaps it makes it really easy to not engage things on their own terms and merits...(or at least I know that I occasionally do that)

3) yeah, I have trouble with longer music...is this a generational thing?

This isn't even music related, but if I don't like the album art (esp. if it looks cheap/uninspired) the music has a 40% higher chance to not be of my likings. When I browse huge netlabel Bandcamps, I only open the ones with art that I like.

Shouldn't the topic title read "Petty Reasons Not to Like Certain Kinds of Music?"

For me, I can't stand compilations either, for the same reasons Keanu mentioned.

Oh, and I hate multi-CD releases, again because they don't translate well into the digital music management world.

Geez, man - you and I are like digital music soulmates

I wanted it to feel clickbaity. Get people in here and get those precious views / clicks.

Also multi-CD releases I despised until I began to rip them all into the same album folder. Totally fine with it now.

And album artwork discouraging you I can relate to. If it's totally garbage, it really can put me off liking the music. One of my favourite artists Bourbonese Qualk have TERRIBLE artwork but I just about manage to ignore my retching when listening.

I just categorize by album, as in every folder is its own release. It doesn't bother me as much that way.

Yeah but when you click back into Artist it turns into a mess again. I can feel Keanu Reeves' pain. Remix albums I used to spend so much time editing the track info (changing the name of artist to the remixer and editing the track title to include the name of the remixed) keeps it nice and neat on the screen but it's a pain in the dick.

Can't stand classical (or even freaking "cuntemporary" for that reason) albums that have a fuckton of people mentioned in the artist field.

Look at this vomit:

https://www.discogs.com/Britten-P%C3%A4rt-Neeme-J%C3%A4rvi-Bergen-Philharmonic-Orchestra-The-Young-Persons-Guide-to-the-Orchestra-Sy/release/8343621

And also:

https://www.discogs.com/Xenakis-Del-Tredici-Takemitsu-Nono-Richard-Dufallo-Conducting-The-Festival-Chamber-Ensemble-Phyllis-/master/183621

Who the fuck are all these people?!

when my shitty hipster friends starting talk-liking music i enjoy i invariably start focusing on its faults and flaws and eventually wind up hating it.

"oh yeah moodymann, moodymann is so effing slick man - real detroit vibes holllaaa"

*burns rare moodymann CDs*

*dinner knife to the temple*

An artist's fan base can be brutal to my enjoyment of some music. I still enjoy BoC but twoism.org came close to nuking it for me. Holy hell.

The Brothers would disapprove of you saying such things.

Oh no I plan on sending them a care package. Maybe they'll want to adopt me.

Archived