IGNORED

Petty reasons to dislike music

Bechuga

2) There's something weird going on with our need to categorize things...and perhaps it makes it really easy to not engage things on their own terms and merits...(or at least I know that I occasionally do that)

Autism

dw me too.  I can't stand compilations.  I can't stand collabs.  I can't stand singles releases with songs that are mainly duplicated from official albums.  I can't stand multiple versions of an album, some with a different track ordering or a bonus track.  But most of all I can't stand remixes from a favorite artist appearing on some other loser's album that I don't want to have.  This has resulted in me having an "{ARTIST} (random)" artist name which is disgusting.  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a fan of a lot of compilations and for keeping shit simple, so for at least 90% of the comps I have I simply let artist = label, so that something like "Soul Jazz Records" or "Warp" appears as I browse thru artists in my library. Then I just tag the title field as "artist - title." Dunno if that's too much or too little ocd to for some of the compilation-tagging hangups aired but maybe it elps, ehz?

I'm really bad with tagging genre though, i remember a few years ago settling on 10-15 broad genres, and everything new gets assigned one of dem, no exception

Also I can only do in moderation music with lyrics (decent hiphop notwithstanding), and can barely stomach music with spoken word, unless it's in a language I don't understand, then it's all good.

this is really dumb but i don't really listen to various artist compilations because i have no idea how to organize them digitally. i hate having a "various artist" tag in my artist folder that consists of dozens of albums with hundreds of artists in it. this would not be a problem if my primary music intake was on physical media.

i have maybe 3 or 4 various artist comps in my collection. i simply don't enjoy listening to single tracks by different artists, very hard for me to get into the mood.*

on a similar note i don't like singles or 45s.

i'm an album man i guess.

*an exception is for so called "world music" but lots of this stuff is only available in the form of compilations so there's nothing I can do about that. plus i'm racist so I'm ok having my different Pygmy tracks lumped together.

Yeah, its gotta have an anchor.  Like the Nigeria70 compilation, a country / geographic region to lock onto.  Or the release Snaker 007, or Disco Mantras, which have various Mood Hut artists, I can put it on when im in the mood for some 'hut.  I have to have them sorted as the artist = that region or label to put on whem Im in the mood to listen to that.

Also agreed with the comment that physical releases make these various compilations more relevant

A lot of the time I tend to instantly judge a band/artist by their fanbase, before even listening to them. If I see certain people sharing their shit on social media, it immediately gets dropped into my subconscious' "not worth checking out" category.

I guess that's a semi-valid reason though, right? I know lots of people who completely dismiss certain music, simply because there are "no vocals", it's "too old" (90s...) or it's "too long" (7 minutes). That always seemed uber petty to me.

Any hip-hop that glamorizes gang culture I avoid on principle...

the like "aww Tupac is such a sensitive poet"...ok well how many shootouts did Robert Frost get into? How many 7-year old bystanders did William Carlos Williams kill?

And the gang shit has become mainstream and legitimized...people love Snoop...I mean, I hate to agree with idiots like Tipper Gore, but this isn't just some imaginary problem

the like "aww Tupac is such a sensitive poet"...ok well how many shootouts did Robert Frost get into? How many 7-year old bystanders did William Carlos Williams kill?

And the gang shit has become mainstream and legitimized...people love Snoop...I mean, I hate to agree with idiots like Tipper Gore, but this isn't just some imaginary problem

I get what you mean, but Tupac isn't a great example of this. Most 90s "Gangster Rap" is pretty miserable and paranoid really. 

I mean, I didn't live in late 80s early 90s America but I'm pretty sure rap was a very good avenue to bring some pretty major issues faced by that demographic into the mainstream/vernacular.

Was that not the whole point of that music?  

Although I completely disagree with you here I don't think it qualifies as a petty reason.

Edit: @ StephenG

That stuff is great...don't get me wrong, I truly love hip-hop

But the stuff you're citing was really the opposite of the gang stuff I'm talking about

It was socially conscious, it was liberating and empowering

It was about how it's genuinely hard to have black skin in this world

Essentially, I'm talking about the difference between Tribe Called Quest and NWA...

Between Questlove and Sug Knight...between J Dilla and Lil Wayne...

Like, Immortal Technique and Cheef Keef are playing two completely different game...one is talking about the problems of this world and the other is literally a murderer...

That is what I'm talking about...I love hip-hop, I make hip-hop...but there is a huge moral schism in hip-hop and I have no respect for the destructive side of it

Edit: @ StephenG

That stuff is great...don't get me wrong, I truly love hip-hop

But the stuff you're citing was really the opposite of the gang stuff I'm talking about

It was socially conscious, it was liberating and empowering

It was about how it's genuinely hard to have black skin in this world

Essentially, I'm talking about the difference between Tribe Called Quest and NWA...

Between Questlove and Sug Knight...between J Dilla and Lil Wayne...

Lol have you ever listened to dilla's raps? Dude is no peacenick. And without NWA there would be no Tribe. QTip says his main inspiration writing the first tribe albums was NWA/Dre.

Imo many of the ideas coming out of those early rap records might be offensive to a liberal world view but they are nevertheless honest and artistically valuable.

They are an accurate representation of what happens in their world yeah. That's why I appreciate it. 

Not so much the new stuff out there, people like kanye spouting about their struggles when they have xxxxx Million USD in the bank.

edit: granted I get thats not the "gangster rap" we're talking about. Just saying rappers are often rich as f'ack so some of their shit doesn't come across as genuine.

Archived