IGNORED

Jungle, want mix advice. Aftawerks

Amen Warrior

I would say breaks down, bass and pads up, and you will find a better feel in the mix. It's pretty decent all around, but the bass and pads could be represented better I think.You could add a higher pitched tone to the bass possibly.

Also, is the hi-hat stuff at the beginning just a panning trick or something else?

Anyway, sounds great as always. You know I love your music.

Honestly i'm liking the mix (mostly in the second half) it fits the track.

The hats are sounding a bit watery when it starts though, you could lower them (but keep them the same level from 1:15+) and try to compress them less. The rest is sounding really good though.. the intro just needs to do the rest justice imo.

i feel like the phasey-bass is dominating the mix a bit too much and generally most of the pad stuff is a touch too loud. I'd try routing all the pad stuff through one bus/group and running a buss compressor and then run the drums into another bus. You could do some sidechained compression on the 'pad' buss and have it keyed to the snare so make that bit pop a bit more. 

I think the mix is pretty good. Trying to get something sounding right on a variety of systems is such a fucking total nightmare that I hardly worry too much about it anymore. Just have to have faith in your monitors and accept that some systems will rape your track.

I think your mix is fine. Fairly well balanced overall. The only thing I noticed is that the low end seemed to have a bit more stereo width than I would want. I try to bring a lot of that low shit down to mono where possible and it makes a big difference on most tracks.

Nice track by the way. I kinda wanted to hear a bit of classic jungle style female vocal in there somewhere though.

Pretty sweet.  Got some old school Photek and Plug vibez goin' on~ love it.

Yah, the breakz are thin, but tight.  I think all it needs is to up the attack on the (breakz) compressor to like 12ms+, and if you can, maybe use an optical compressor.  The slower attack (and if possible, the character of the optical) will allow for the individual hits to punch harder, but the overall taste will still be that "clean/tight" thing you're going for.

Also, trading off a bit of mid-lows- taking from the "subs" and giving to the drums- will allow the drums to feel more active (instead of passive).  Taking out boxiness is how you achieved those clean drums, but putting maybe a liiiiittle bit back in will make it feel lively and present.

"I kinda wanted to hear a bit of classic jungle style female vocal in there somewhere though."

Do it and you've got a classic.

What does that even mean...?

Like, "Woo oh woo oh!", or like, "Feel the jungle vibe, babay~", etc.? Wishing On A Star... ?

"I kinda wanted to hear a bit of classic jungle style female vocal in there somewhere though."

Do it and you've got a classic.

What does that even mean...?

Like, "Woo oh woo oh!", or like, "Feel the jungle vibe, babay~", etc.? Wishing On A Star... ?

Yeah. Pretty much.

"what ya gonna do, what ya gonna do baby?"

classic init

Smooth stuff.Lovely.Soothing.

Mix seems pretty fine with my headphones.

But you can always try had some stereo width with a stereoizer or something and see what it does!

(by the way you had this amazing track with FM test in the title:why the hell you deleted it? i love it!)

• 1 month later...

listening on headphones.. the synth/pads are too loud for me.. but listening on headphones so i could be off there. nice beats.. like all the patterns and rolls and stutters. 

i think overall you could tuck some things in a bit better. some subtractive EQing.. pull some stuff out of other parts and it all might be a bit more punchy.. 

it sounds really clean though. polished and lush.  

just noticed the date of original post 

listening on headphones.. the synth/pads are too loud for me.. but listening on headphones so i could be off there. nice beats.. like all the patterns and rolls and stutters. 

i think overall you could tuck some things in a bit better. some subtractive EQing.. pull some stuff out of other parts and it all might be a bit more punchy.. 

it sounds really clean though. polished and lush.  

just noticed the date of original post 

listening on headphones. it's really really nice man. if wanna change anything i'd bring the pads down a bit and add some dynamic compression on the kick/bass. but really, it's a great track. maybe just add some compression on the master and see what that's like. 

sometimes you have to layer the break with an extra kick and snare and hats just to fatten it up a little bit 

im old school and used old akai samplers to make dnb/ jungle depending on the feel you are going for you don't want to over process and compress too much if that helps any?? nice tune by the way :) 

Wicked tune! I agree that if there is anything that could be improved then it is the intro (both mixing and duration, for me feels a bit long, could jump straight from ~00:21 to ~00:47). But yeah, like others said, nice work!

Archived