IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Are there any US WATMMoids who would really consider not voting at all?

me

Local and state is more important anyway.

Im actaually skipping a local prop election regarding the city of austin versus uber/lyft (its over background check regulations) because neither side is really in the right 100% and im not wasting my time over something im indifferent over

me

Im actaually skipping a local prop election regarding the city of austin versus uber/lyft (its over background check regulations) because neither side is really in the right 100% and im not wasting my time over something im indifferent over

it's a fine line though and easy to point at recent US history of Gore Vs. Bush and see how the world might have been different if things went a different way.. sure probably lots of things would've stayed the same but perhaps we'd have jumped into some environmental changes a little sooner and maybe the EPA wouldn't be a toothless bag of shit.. and perhaps just maybe we'd not still be in afghanistan or invaded iraq at all.

lot's of what ifs.. but w.o ralph nader and perhaps w/fewer vote fixing douchebags in florida we'd have not had to endure that nimrod Bush at all... which would mean no cheney.. no rumsfeld etc..

so, while in the big picture it's easy to say "voting doesn't matter".. and in some states it really doesn't when it comes to national election.. but in some it really really matters..

primaries are one thing though.. the election in november is when we'll have to choose between Douche and Turd for preisdent.

local though.. yeah.. always vote local.

me

it's a fine line though and easy to point at recent US history of Gore Vs. Bush and see how the world might have been different if things went a different way.. sure probably lots of things would've stayed the same but perhaps we'd have jumped into some environmental changes a little sooner and maybe the EPA wouldn't be a toothless bag of shit.. and perhaps just maybe we'd not still be in afghanistan or invaded iraq at all.

lot's of what ifs.. but w.o ralph nader and perhaps w/fewer vote fixing douchebags in florida we'd have not had to endure that nimrod Bush at all... which would mean no cheney.. no rumsfeld etc..

so, while in the big picture it's easy to say "voting doesn't matter".. and in some states it really doesn't when it comes to national election.. but in some it really really matters..

primaries are one thing though.. the election in november is when we'll have to choose between Douche and Turd for preisdent.

local though.. yeah.. always vote local.

no i agree, in fact that's why this election is so conflicting to me. also I'm in TX which I expect to be big on Trump but if it's remotely close I'll pinch my nose and vote Clinton

it's just incredible how much people hate her...in the past my parents and other conservative relatives could discuss past Dem presidents but post-2008 they just despise the Dem party and she's the core of their ire. hell i even agree bengahzi was a fuckup/cover-up but if they want to take that standard of scrutnity on that incident then they should call for W to be tried for international war crimes. the double standards are immense

Interesting interview on Vox with a political scientist who predicted the rise of Trump

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/6/11598838/donald-trump-predictions-norm-ornstein

For years now, Ornstein — a political scientist at the right-leaning American Enterprise Institute — had been arguing that the modern Republican Party is deeply broken.

In his 2012 book It's Even Worse Than It Looks, co-written with Thomas Mann, he argued that the GOP had become "an insurgent outlier — ideologically extreme; contemptuous of the inherited social and economic policy regime; scornful of compromise; unpersuaded by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition."

Although, his predictions seem rather obvious (see quote), I do think he's got an interesting perspective on how the Gop got to this point.

Andrew Prokop:And how do you think these trends will play out beyond this election?

Norm Ornstein: One thing I am sure of is that we’re gonna have a continuing dysfunction in government that makes it hard to do much.

Even if Clinton wins the presidency, and Democrats take the Senate and the House, many of those new House members will be from Republican districts that are likely to swing back in the midterm. They’re gonna be running scared right from the beginning. Maybe you’ve got a couple of months to do some things that would be salutary. But nothing big.

Hillary and OJ simpson are in the same part of my brain. The 90's exhausted. Talk radio. Continuation of the same discourse. Nothing new. Change takes time. Lots of time

Edited by marf

The Ted Cruz/Chuck Todd interview was terrible, as are most interviews like that. It's sad how often reporters have to ask those snakes the same question over and over to try and get a straight answer, but after the fifth time Todd should've given up trying. Such a waste of time and energy trying to get a truth out of that man's mouth.

Obama being cute about cynicism wrt us democracy (to the haters: he does have a point, right?)

You guys have a great President in office right now. Eloquent and empathetic, who concisely debates the good and bad merits of social issues and political games. Able to use reason and doesn't give black and white solutions to problems.

And now you have Trump, a person who criticizes the way a man eats pancakes as a political argument, as a possible replacement.