IGNORED

Gary Numan - Savage (Songs from a Broken World)

tec

His last album was great and this new single from the next one sounds deece too. Can't wait for the tour. I love Gary Numan.

• 1 month later...

DEDC5niWAAE4G57.jpg

01. Ghost Nation

02. Bed Of Thorns

03. My Name Is Ruin

04. The End Of Things

05. And It All Began With You

06. When The World Comes Apart

07. Mercy

08. What God Intended

09. If I Said

10. Pray For The Pain You Serve

11. Broken

12. Cold

Scheduled for release September 15th, 2017

www.garynuman.com

• 3 weeks later...

The Quietus:

Before we address the content of Gary Numan’s new record, we need to deal with that cover art. I understand that this is a concept album set in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic version of the Middle-East, where eastern and western cultures have mixed and Numan himself is some sort of strange hybrid between Mad Max and John The Baptist.

But, at the end of the day, it’s him dressed up in what looks suspiciously like a traditional Bedouin garb next to the word ‘Savage’ spelled out in faux-Arabic letters. Not only is this pretty offensive on a cultural level, it’s also pretty offensive aesthetically. If there was a musical equivalent of the Razzies (which there should be), this album would clean up in the design categories.

I've always enjoyed his work. He's like NIN (but with real song-writing talent) and his style has influenced generations of artists. His first album was back in the late 70s or something. His style is all his own - but with many, many imitators.

The Quietus:

Before we address the content of Gary Numan’s new record, we need to deal with that cover art. I understand that this is a concept album set in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic version of the Middle-East, where eastern and western cultures have mixed and Numan himself is some sort of strange hybrid between Mad Max and John The Baptist.

But, at the end of the day, it’s him dressed up in what looks suspiciously like a traditional Bedouin garb next to the word ‘Savage’ spelled out in faux-Arabic letters. Not only is this pretty offensive on a cultural level, it’s also pretty offensive aesthetically. If there was a musical equivalent of the Razzies (which there should be), this album would clean up in the design categories.

a0630093807_10.jpg

I've always enjoyed his work. He's like NIN (but with real song-writing talent) and his style has influenced generations of artists. His first album was back in the late 70s or something. His style is all his own - but with many, many imitators.

That would be Tubeway Army, before he started recording as himself.

I can't enjoy anything he's done after Telekon. everything up to and including that was amazing. since he started getting respek from newer generations of artists (e.g. Trent Reznor) in the late 90s and onwards, his stuff became a weird, parodic, completely un-self aware echo of those artists. I can't dig it.

fair play to him for commanding respect even today, though imo it's deserved most because of works like Replicas and The Pleasure Principle. Replicas gets regular play in ma hoose.

Archived