IGNORED

Childish Gambino

Eggs

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a rap video about the oppression of black america. This is not a new thing. It's horrible that the same issues in an NWA video from 30 years ago are still relevant but why is it new in this one? what am I missing?

it's a rap video about the oppression of black america. This is not a new thing. It's horrible that the same issues in an NWA video from 30 years ago are still relevant but why is it new in this one? what am I missing?

the internet wasn't really a thing 30 years ago. 

I think that's almost part of the point maybe? Shit's still going on, in ways perhaps even worse than it was years ago? Maybe it's supposed to be a sort of provocative-yet-meaningless canvas to allow everyone to read whatever they want into it? (Glover is refusing to discuss the intentions behind it so that's partly the case) ...definitely seems to reference the 70s/80s period with the choice of cars in the video, but definitely referencing other things as well in the music (gospel choirs, blues/spirituals/etc., current hip hop trends as well in stark contrast, and so on)

But I dunno, really. There's a shit ton of discussion in video and articles about it I haven't watched.

This one's highly stylized.

And also the issue is still there, so there needs to continue being art that addresses it.

+ Gambino connects with more people than NWA did, because NWA scared old people and CG seems like he'd probably be a good and respectful grandson (even though he's shooting people dead in his music vid.  He's just got that Elvis charm.)

:cerious:

same. 

everything is a conversation i guess. someone makes a thing and someone has to comment on it or whatever by making their take on it as if the original isn't the pure expression of the person who created it.

"oh your thing.. but women/disabled/trans/albino/homeless circus workers/unprivileged poors though!" 

i thought the original was a pretty translatable universal thing that anyone could understand but maybe i'm just making a big deal out of it and should go back into 'zero fucks to give' mode which should be my default setting these days.  

I'm curious when the Native American communities who have been fucked over forever will finally get some of the spotlight.  Not trying to undermine the importance of all the social injustices faced by black/women/LGBT etc., but I just don't recall an equivalent movement ever happening for them and wonder why it's taking so long.  :shrug:

^^ right now many of them are too busy fighting their cases after the standing rock debacle. and i guess (like in that one episode of the simpsons where a guy rolls into town with a great song asking everyone for money to build a rollercoaster instead of a public park) if they don't do it with a colorful song and dance, nobody pays attention.

like in that one episode of the simpsons where a guy rolls into town with a great song asking everyone for money to build a rollercoaster instead of a public park)

dude...

this is like Flanders saying impy and chimpy

like in that one episode of the simpsons where a guy rolls into town with a great song asking everyone for money to build a rollercoaster instead of a public park)

dude...

this is like Flanders saying impy and chimpy

Marge vs. The Rollercoaster

Written by Jimmy Fallon

Archived