IGNORED

Bands that sound exactly like other bands

Zephyr_Nova

Also, dunno if this is the thread for it, but I've never met a Peter Gabriel fan that isn't a Sting fan and vice versa.  Music for dads who used to own 6-cd tray CD changers and wear business casual clothes to do yard work on weekends.

I fkn love Peter Gabriel, and most Police stuff, but never got into solo Sting.

Gabriel is like a whole other world. The way he embraced new technology so readily through the 80s and 90s made him a real innovator. I don't know how anyone could listen to his first four albums (or, any of them really, but mostly those four) and say it's strictly "dad music".

The first time someone played me some Young Marble Giants I thought they sounded like a colossal (lol) Stereolab rip-off. Then I learned that they preceded Stereolab by at least a decade.

Wow dude, checking out their Colossal Youth album now.  This is excellent.  Actually does not remind me of Stereolab at all, yet.  But I'm only on the second song.  Her vocal melodies are really top.  So interesting to hear such rhythmically driven music with absolutely no drums, save some very subtle, minimal samples keeping tempo (more like organ percussion being used as a metronome I guess).  Oh here we go - track 3 has got the Stereolab vibe, but it's only the instrumentation that does it.  Cool band.  Thanks!

Glad you're enjoying. One of my all time faves.

I remember playing that album to a very young pair of lesbian riot grrl types about ten years ago. Credit in the Straight World came on and they went "omg they covered Hole!" They were huge Courtney Love fangirls.

I had to pull an

card_7a8da1f2-b11c-4bf8-b736-cf068ae6eb0

Thanks to caze, I was recently blown away that Sonic Youth's 'Confusion Is Sex' era material is directly related to Glenn Branca as I never heard of Branca before. I've always wanted to hear more music like 'Confusion is Sex' and behold:

I'd even argue Branca's material is much more mature and refined.

Wow dude, checking out their Colossal Youth album now.  This is excellent.  Actually does not remind me of Stereolab at all, yet.  But I'm only on the second song.  Her vocal melodies are really top.  So interesting to hear such rhythmically driven music with absolutely no drums, save some very subtle, minimal samples keeping tempo (more like organ percussion being used as a metronome I guess).  Oh here we go - track 3 has got the Stereolab vibe, but it's only the instrumentation that does it.  Cool band.  Thanks!

Yeah to be fair there are only a couple of tracks on there that have that proto-Stereolab sound, but one of them happened to be my introduction to the band.

Courtney Love

Made doubly topical by the fact that they used to tour with Sonic Youth, I think, in The Year Punk Broke or something?

Yeah to be fair there are only a couple of tracks on there that have that proto-Stereolab sound, but one of them happened to be my introduction to the band.

Courtney Love

Hole's first album apes a lot of Sonic Youth and 80s noise rock, early sludge metal, Crazy Young era Neil Young, etc. but it's fucking excellent. 

Obscure as fuck artists who sound exactly alike and probably have no idea:

dunno the year to that release, but the intro & bridges sound slightly too similar to Can/Holger Czukay's epic "Canaxis"

Archived