IGNORED

Clone selling old Rephlex warehouse stock

Rubin Farr

yeah but:

"IMPORTANT: These are unplayed copies (often still sealed), but have been stored in a humid environment. Some copies might have slight storage damage like slightly deformed sleeves or some mold. Even though a quick cleaning session of the record (if needed) will probably make it as good as new, these are still sold as is! "

Moldy rekkids n sleeves? =(

Bear in mind the Kinesthesia LPs will probably be completely ruined, gassed to hell because of the PVC sleeve and no inner protection (anyone with the original Caustic Window compilation will probably understand..) Add in 23 years of storage under bad conditions and it's a certainty.  It's a quiet album anyway, my copy sounds terrible and it's been sleeved from new.

yeah but:

"IMPORTANT: These are unplayed copies (often still sealed), but have been stored in a humid environment. Some copies might have slight storage damage like slightly deformed sleeves or some mold. Even though a quick cleaning session of the record (if needed) will probably make it as good as new, these are still sold as is! "

Grant's garage, innit

Bear in mind the Kinesthesia LPs will probably be completely ruined, gassed to hell because of the PVC sleeve and no inner protection (anyone with the original Caustic Window compilation will probably understand..) Add in 23 years of storage under bad conditions and it's a certainty.  It's a quiet album anyway, my copy sounds terrible and it's been sleeved from new.

Aren't most sleeves (from the early 90s onwards) polyethylene rather than PVC? 

yeah but:

Grant's garage, innit

Anything's possible! I wouldn't be terribly surprised tbh lol. 

patiently awaits Grant's reponse on FB*

They're notorious for saying they have something in stock but then telling you they don't when you try to buy it. I've had big orders shrink to like 2 12"s from that crap.

polyethylene-lined inner sleeves (thin, slightly cloudy and crinkly) have been standard since around the mid-1970s, and they are generally considered safe (in my experience they are)

before that inners were usually pvc-lined (a clear, floppy plastic), and they can be very, very bad for the vinyl long term. 

not too long ago I paid £200 at a fair for an original gentle giant on Vertigo from the early 70s, pvc-lined inner.  the record was visually mint condition but there's a particular-sounding hissy noise that gets louder towards the end of the sides, which is caused by a chemical reaction (known as gassing) between the pvc and the record.  gassing can take years to manifest itself (depends on storage conditions) eventually causing visual damage to the record and ruining it but if you catch it early enough, clean the records and get them out of those pvc sleeves they can often be saved.

anyhow that's all about inner sleeves.  pvc outer sleeves (the premium, "orange peel" texture ones) are still made and used but are usually OK because they don't actually come into contact with the record itself.  the kinesthesia sleeve is that pvc material, with the graphics printed on it and the record directly inside it, which is the problem.  here's the most recent discogs review of empathy box on vinyl:

Is everyone else's copy of this permanently damaged because Rephlex stupidly packaged the vinyl in a plastic sleeve that created a chemical reaction with the vinyl resulting in permament damage and hideous surface noise. What a bummer. I might as well throw it away now. Unless you separated the record from the sleeve shortly after buying your vinyl is trashed.

other notable rephlex releases in pvc sleeves - caustic window compilation original issue, and all of the analord series - there are even reports of analord 12s having gassing problems already so if you have those, get them out of those godawful sleeves pronto

Bear in mind the Kinesthesia LPs will probably be completely ruined, gassed to hell because of the PVC sleeve and no inner protection (anyone with the original Caustic Window compilation will probably understand..) Add in 23 years of storage under bad conditions and it's a certainty. It's a quiet album anyway, my copy sounds terrible and it's been sleeved from new.

polyethylene-lined inner sleeves (thin, slightly cloudy and crinkly) have been standard since around the mid-1970s, and they are generally considered safe (in my experience they are)

before that inners were usually pvc-lined (a clear, floppy plastic), and they can be very, very bad for the vinyl long term.

not too long ago I paid £200 at a fair for an original gentle giant on Vertigo from the early 70s, pvc-lined inner. the record was visually mint condition but there's a particular-sounding hissy noise that gets louder towards the end of the sides, which is caused by a chemical reaction (known as gassing) between the pvc and the record. gassing can take years to manifest itself (depends on storage conditions) eventually causing visual damage to the record and ruining it but if you catch it early enough, clean the records and get them out of those pvc sleeves they can often be saved.

anyhow that's all about inner sleeves. pvc outer sleeves (the premium, "orange peel" texture ones) are still made and used but are usually OK because they don't actually come into contact with the record itself. the kinesthesia sleeve is that pvc material, with the graphics printed on it and the record directly inside it, which is the problem. here's the most recent discogs review of empathy box on vinyl:

Is everyone else's copy of this permanently damaged because Rephlex stupidly packaged the vinyl in a plastic sleeve that created a chemical reaction with the vinyl resulting in permament damage and hideous surface noise. What a bummer. I might as well throw it away now. Unless you separated the record from the sleeve shortly after buying your vinyl is trashed.

other notable rephlex releases in pvc sleeves - caustic window compilation original issue, and all of the analord series - there are even reports of analord 12s having gassing problems already so if you have those, get them out of those godawful sleeves pronto

My friend's wife made him a custom leather Analord binder pretty much right after release, she was like "these sleeves are shit" lol. Good call girl!

not too long ago I paid £200 at a fair for an original gentle giant on Vertigo from the early 70s, pvc-lined inner.  the record was visually mint condition but there's a particular-sounding hissy noise that gets louder towards the end of the sides, which is caused by a chemical reaction (known as gassing) between the pvc and the record.  gassing can take years to manifest itself (depends on storage conditions) eventually causing visual damage to the record and ruining it but if you catch it early enough, clean the records and get them out of those pvc sleeves they can often be saved.

anyhow that's all about inner sleeves.  pvc outer sleeves (the premium, "orange peel" texture ones) are still made and used but are usually OK because they don't actually come into contact with the record itself.  the kinesthesia sleeve is that pvc material, with the graphics printed on it and the record directly inside it, which is the problem.  here's the most recent discogs review of empathy box on vinyl:

Ah, thanks for the education!

• 1 month later...

Archived