IGNORED

Graffiti Artist Banksy Arrested In London, Identity Revealed

Muflontillah

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought exit through the gift shop was alright. There are probably better graffiti artists out there, but given the choice I'd rather walk down a street with some Banksy works than nothing just plain old concrete. It's alright for what it is, but definitely a bit over hyped

Guest bitroast

I thought exit through the gift shop was alright. There are probably better graffiti artists out there, but given the choice I'd rather walk down a street with some Banksy works than nothing just plain old concrete. It's alright for what it is, but definitely a bit over hyped

I can agree this.

Overhyped but not terrible. Sometimes terrible, but not all terrible. I enjoyed it, back in the day, for what it's worth.

And yes, Exit Through The Gift Shop was fun film. saw at a small cinema when it came out and enjoyed it.

hoax or not, doesn't matter any more

first of all, banksy is not a common graffiti artist so who cares what other graffiti artists say about him

second, the ire is quiet stupid imo tbh. lots of ppl hate him cause of the directness of his work and when you ask those ppl how would they address the political shit in the best possible way by paint on a wall all they can show is how unintelligent and uncreative they are. the first sign of their stupidity is the view that there's nothing really wrong with the world and even it is there's nothing we have to say or do about it, let alone a painter or another (visual or non-visual) artist.

third, imo, in his work he mostly deals with:

1. complex subjects but he manages to

2. present them in an easily understandable manner, pretty creatively and mostly originally,

3. the topics are universal and vital

4. and even though they're addressed to the world's current political situation they are also mostly timeless

>>> now, can someone tell me, what really defines work of genius if not these things? what then?

every form of art has its own ways of expression (and topics it can address) so the upper said about banksy is not directly linkable to other great works in other forms of art, but sometimes it's possible, imo, like with picasso's guernica, beethoven's 5th symphony and kubrics' full metal jacket. i'm not saying that he's on par with those great geniuses but i smell similarities.

also, not all great works of art has to deal with politics (vast majority of them don't) (btw, so few of things aren't linked to politics in a general sense anyway) but imo, fruitfulness, universality, originality, expressiveness and timelessness are definitely properties of genius and i can see all of those in his work

imo, world needs more ppl like him, tbh

Yes.

- - -

With regards to Banksy's intentions-- his work is generally solid, highly efficient in storytelling, possibly thought provoking and mind opening-- heart warming to know there are street artists as him who have good values and care enough to force a generally non-caring public to think, in a way that is not overly damaging to property, putting their own safety on the line to spread positive vibes with the intention of making the world a better place. The only reason why modern society is full of images to help weaken humanity, is because those who are able to spread images most widely, are those who care to spend the most money; money mostly acquired through a system of perpetuating ideas that also weaken humanity.

Banksy might have a bankroll now, but he's nothing compared to conglomerates that can regularly spend tens of millions of dollars in a heartbeat without flinching. He knows this. Everyone who's ever wanted to make the world a better place knows of such odds of a seemingly unfair battle. But he uses what resources he has, to express the best he can, for the sake of his idealistic vision of a positive and caring modern society. Using his art talents for his purposes doesn't make him a good or bad artist-- it makes him a great human being.

has syro been out long enough now for joyrex to change his avatar pic back to that "haters gonna hate" .gif??? because they do.

not a banksy fan btw. just don't understand how someone can srsly wish another person to be incarcerated because they have different tastes?! come on! :facepalm:

i prefer the provocative symbolism of Shepard Fairey tbh

shepard-obama-inauguration-no-cream.jpg

You mean the provocative plagiarism, amirite?
this article is fantastic

http://www.art-for-a-change.com/Obey/

the part where Walmart was selling a nazi shirt is amazing. they stole art from someone who stole art. classic.

the part where Walmart was selling a nazi shirt is amazing. they stole art from someone who stole art. classic.

"exact duplication" my ass. those two skulls look nothing alike... does the author have eyes?

It's funny how we pick & choose our plagiarists, sampling is seen as a legit way to homage an element of society, to be reused to put out a musical message.

Walt Disney was one of the greatest plagiarists of all time, shrewdly picking fairy tales to adapt into film that had lapsed into the public domain, then slapped a "Disney's" logo on it, and (modern) history is rewritten, as those films never go out of print! Even the authors who still had living heirs, like A.A. Milne, creator of Winnie the Pooh, have come into conflict with Disney over rights issues.

About personal skill, being BANSKY!!!!!! runs completely counter to making propaganda art or the mundane connotations of painting on the walls. Or art, really - Bansky wants to be known as an irreplaceable poet and in this he is a reactionary. It's not that he does what he does because he is Bansky, just like Stravinsky did what he did because he was Stravinsky - it's that what he does IS Bansky and nobody else can do it.

But actually I wasn't talking about Bansky in particular - grafitti (just like 90% of pop culture and especially hip hop and other forms of "street art") cares too much about the figure of "respect" for "those who have the chops", meaning it's all a tribal competition where development doesn't add up like it does in other art forms (Stravinksy's sheet music is out there for all to learn from) but rather some pretty stupid combination of pre-modern notions of mastering a trade, tribal notions of fighting for respectability; and the baffling concept of calling dibs on technique. veredict: all worthless shit (and electronic music is very affected by this, which i think is its worst aspect by far.)

If you're going to be an irreplaceable figure everyone has "respect" for, don't use stencils, or don't use spray paint, or don't use sequencers, or don't do mass propaganda. You have to be at the service of an ideal, or at least of the development of art and the city art happens in, not at the service of your individuality and your personal experiments.

also the bomba-bombilla thing is a load of bollocks. these are two very common words in the spanish language and nobody makes that connection usually, not least because "bombilla" would be a slightly unusual way of building the diminutive form of "bomba". the lightbulb might have some symbolism but i don't think that's the key at all. since this is a hate thread, i'll say there's a large element of wankitude to picasso anyway, as much as i like some of his stuff.

You don't think other well-respected artists have major egos? Or philosophers? Of course not every one of them does, but lots of well known, well respected artists/experts in their field have huge egos. And they think they are the shit.

Banksy's art is in the most public domain possible. Anybody can learn from it and copy it/amalgamate it/transform it into something else. Why would you think that he has called "dibs" on using stencils? They were around long before Banksy, and will be around long after him. He makes some stencils that are good, some are simple, some are complex, and some are shit.

Lol don't use sequencers/stencils/logic/grammar/language. They're just tools.

That bold bit. You have one (very limiting, imo) idea of what art should be, others have different ideas. You think AE made Draft "in the service of an ideal?" Or Aphext made the KPTAs for the development of the city art happens in?

What city does music happen in anyways?

re chen

The fantasy city on a hill in their minds. As I expressed earlier, hehe.

(it's, kinder than saying that they pulled it out of their arse.)

ImO most artists are in part ego driven, as is everybody else. We want to be loved, we want to reachout and make connections. It's a flesh and blood world filled with humons, not some perfect automatia where everyone is acting for so called higher ideals (as much as some sociopath might convince you that is why they deserve that municipal commission, "I really am a saint, buying my work will make you feel soo much better about yourself, validate your whole existence, splatter paintings 2 for 1 sale, because, community.").

If only all artists were like Hardstyle Andy

The Black Dog just posted this hardstyle dudes biography, the most incredible artist bio I've ever come across:

http://ibizaclubbing-guide.skiddletickets.com/artist.php?id=123507506&eid=11920892

holy lol!! the best part for me was reading andys (?) description of andys outward appearance and backchecking with andys photo! :nope:

ps. And when Andy makes eye contact with you, even if only be for a second

instant 8===D - - -

About personal skill, being BANSKY!!!!!! runs completely counter to making propaganda art or the mundane connotations of painting on the walls. Or art, really - Bansky wants to be known as an irreplaceable poet and in this he is a reactionary. It's not that he does what he does because he is Bansky, just like Stravinsky did what he did because he was Stravinsky - it's that what he does IS Bansky and nobody else can do it.

But actually I wasn't talking about Bansky in particular - grafitti (just like 90% of pop culture and especially hip hop and other forms of "street art") cares too much about the figure of "respect" for "those who have the chops", meaning it's all a tribal competition where development doesn't add up like it does in other art forms (Stravinksy's sheet music is out there for all to learn from) but rather some pretty stupid combination of pre-modern notions of mastering a trade, tribal notions of fighting for respectability; and the baffling concept of calling dibs on technique. veredict: all worthless shit (and electronic music is very affected by this, which i think is its worst aspect by far.)

If you're going to be an irreplaceable figure everyone has "respect" for, don't use stencils, or don't use spray paint, or don't use sequencers, or don't do mass propaganda. You have to be at the service of an ideal, or at least of the development of art and the city art happens in, not at the service of your individuality and your personal experiments.

also the bomba-bombilla thing is a load of bollocks. these are two very common words in the spanish language and nobody makes that connection usually, not least because "bombilla" would be a slightly unusual way of building the diminutive form of "bomba". the lightbulb might have some symbolism but i don't think that's the key at all. since this is a hate thread, i'll say there's a large element of wankitude to picasso anyway, as much as i like some of his stuff.

You don't think other well-respected artists have major egos? Or philosophers? Of course not every one of them does, but lots of well known, well respected artists/experts in their field have huge egos. And they think they are the shit.

Banksy's art is in the most public domain possible. Anybody can learn from it and copy it/amalgamate it/transform it into something else. Why would you think that he has called "dibs" on using stencils? They were around long before Banksy, and will be around long after him. He makes some stencils that are good, some are simple, some are complex, and some are shit.

That bold bit. You have one (very limiting, imo) idea of what art should be, others have different ideas. You think AE made Draft "in the service of an ideal?" Or Aphext made the KPTAs for the development of the city art happens in?

It's not whether they have egos. I don't care about them as people. It's whether what they do serves to advance art and politics or not. In the case of Bansky it doesn't, because what it does is it creates a highly individual brand, in keeping with the tribalism of graffiti, and it doesn't otherwise advance anything in any way - it's art made in a conservative way telling people things they already know in a form they're well used to.

I have a let's call it (optimistically) "precise" idea of what art should be, which comes from being engaged with it. I don't know what AE made Draft for, but I do know that Draft does work, to some extent, in the service of the ideal of a new music and particularly a new pop music. However AE are too obscurantist sometimes, for example when they say things like "there's so much tech out there, why should you want to sound like anyone else?", which in my opinion is too ambiguous: it can be an attack on the medieval-tribal mentality and the competitiveness of musical "scenes" and "genres", but it can also mean that what they do is their own business and that nobody should care about what their Pure Data programs are and why they are like that. Which is a terrible attitude towards technology and technique.

So, about technology, yes, sequencers and stencils are "tools", but they imply many things - if you're not exploring how they make possible to make things that either you can't do by hand or which don't require you to know what to do with your hands, then you have no reason to use them (these two reasons are just examples.) I learnt this when I was trying to become an architect. If you're going to make a brick building, you've gotta know why exactly you're using brick. If it could be something else then you're not using it in any meaningful way.

Another thing is that I think the destruction of the "artist" is something that is on the agenda and has been for a lot of time. This ties in nicely with the bomba/bombilla thing.

An example is the appalling regression from something like the city architects the UK had in the 60's to individualistic brands such as Rem Koolhaas or Jean Nouvel, which are names that, within any sort of struggle for the definition of art, are meaningless (unlike, for example, the names of the heads of two factions within a political party in a historical moment, or within an artistic movement.)

--

A city is a set of collective institutions. I could have called it a republic or something else, what I mean is art happens within a collective institution and is a collective endeavour, even if in a given situation these institutions aren't fully organised (just like a government in exile.) There's a high level of "lol mate im just doin me thing innit" in electronic music which I don't approve of at all. But in the end it's not the attitude that matters but the product - even though sometimes there are processes and breakthroughs which are associated to the name of a human being and that's fine. The thing is the collective structure of electronic music radically changed after Autechre released LP5. Names such as Warp Records, Autechre, IDM, etc. aren't simply individualistic branding here because they have a place in a (by the way, now finished) sequence which resulted in a transformation of electronic music for everyone, anywhere, ever.

The bottom line is it doesn't really matter whether you're anonymous or not, but what you do has to work for a collective which isn't anonymous. But I'll agree this isn't always something you decide yourself.

"exact duplication" my ass. those two skulls look nothing alike... does the author have eyes?

Shepard Fairey also plagiarized the uppermost portion of Andre the Giant's body.

just as corporations, supermarkets and ministries are organised in a way that will always have more progressive potential than small start-ups, traditional shops and neighbourhood owner's associations, art at the service of a collective institution will always do more and go further than either "im a lone rebel man" or "jus makin choonz for me mates".

re plagiarism i don't care, the problem with fairey is he doesn't comment on propaganda because what he does is he turns actual people's propaganda into something banal while he doesn't touch state/corporate propaganda at all. he also has done nothing for the advancement of people's propaganda either, either in form or in goals. he's not very different from bansky actually.

It's not whether they have egos. I don't care about them as people. It's whether what they do serves to advance art and politics or not. In the case of Bansky it doesn't, because what it does is it creates a highly individual brand, in keeping with the tribalism of graffiti, and it doesn't otherwise advance anything in any way - it's art made in a conservative way telling people things they already know in a form they're well used to.

I have a let's call it (optimistically) "precise" idea of what art should be, which comes from being engaged with it. I don't know what AE made Draft for, but I do know that Draft does work, to some extent, in the service of the ideal of a new music and particularly a new pop music. However AE are too obscurantist sometimes, for example when they say things like "there's so much tech out there, why should you want to sound like anyone else?", which in my opinion is too ambiguous: it can be an attack on the medieval-tribal mentality and the competitiveness of musical "scenes" and "genres", but it can also mean that what they do is their own business and that nobody should care about what their Pure Data programs are and why they are like that. Which is a terrible attitude towards technology and technique.

So, about technology, yes, sequencers and stencils are "tools", but they imply many things - if you're not exploring how they make possible to make things that either you can't do by hand or which don't require you to know what to do with your hands, then you have no reason to use them (these two reasons are just examples.) I learnt this when I was trying to become an architect. If you're going to make a brick building, you've gotta know why exactly you're using brick. If it could be something else then you're not using it in any meaningful way.

Another thing is that I think the destruction of the "artist" is something that is on the agenda and has been for a lot of time. This ties in nicely with the bomba/bombilla thing.

An example is the appalling regression from something like the city architects the UK had in the 60's to individualistic brands such as Rem Koolhaas or Jean Nouvel, which are names that, within any sort of struggle for the definition of art, are meaningless (unlike, for example, the names of the heads of two factions within a political party in a historical moment, or within an artistic movement.)

--

A city is a set of collective institutions. I could have called it a republic or something else, what I mean is art happens within a collective institution and is a collective endeavour, even if in a given situation these institutions aren't fully organised (just like a government in exile.) There's a high level of "lol mate im just doin me thing innit" in electronic music which I don't approve of at all. But in the end it's not the attitude that matters but the product - even though sometimes there are processes and breakthroughs which are associated to the name of a human being and that's fine. The thing is the collective structure of electronic music radically changed after Autechre released LP5. Names such as Warp Records, Autechre, IDM, etc. aren't simply individualistic branding here because they have a place in a (by the way, now finished) sequence which resulted in a transformation of electronic music for everyone, anywhere, ever.

The bottom line is it doesn't really matter whether you're anonymous or not, but what you do has to work for a collective which isn't anonymous. But I'll agree this isn't always something you decide yourself.

Aphex, Warp, Rephlex, Autechre - they all partake in highly individualistic branding. Why do you think AE's (hypothetical) attitude toward Pure Data is a terrible one? Your idea of art seems to me to be reeking of fascism ever so slightly - it has to be at the service of a larger collective?

My idea of art (which funnily enough, also comes from being engaged with it herp,derp) allows for the possibility of the individual to break out of the developmental mold precisely through individual experimentation.

Also, if you think the sequence of transformation in electronic music is finished, you're not paying attention.

• 9 months later...

This takes it to a new level, a faux theme park complete with employees and rides. This must have cost millions of GBP right? Does Banksy have a patron who commissioned this set up? They're selling tickets of course, my guess is to recoup some costs and pay the other artists.

EBF84043-4C23-4A1B-A834-0E23740B60AE_zps

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/08/dismaland/

Archived