IGNORED

Any tips for making music with a full time job?

Berk

"don't lose sight".. listen to uplifting music w/big voice amazing vocalist and get inspired and go make some tunes. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

This depressing thread again..

Remember Dave Monolith? Biggest Rephlex legend keeping the Braindance music hot as hell! 
Everyone had his album Welcome! So amazing music he made. Even I bought his music back then. 
After some quiet years he came from nowhere and like  "I was nearly homeless" and stuff. 

Venetian Snares was also like "Help I need money". 
Many musicians lost their shit on the road it seems.. 

• Sad 1

for me most points in this thread are kinda moot.. what do you spend your free time with? can you flex your sequencer to yourself? when you're on the shitter do you watch cat videos or are you reading your synths manual? get fucking in there, listen to music on your breaks and make notes about what you like, incorporate that into a thought-out project file for the sake of the idea only. too tired from work? how's the diet, sleep? stressed out? music has a hard time manifesting when you're absent from yourself.

disposition affects execution.. i wanna wake up thinking about continuing tracks again like I just fell in love

Edited by chronical
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cern said:

Remember Dave Monolith? Biggest Rephlex legend keeping the Braindance music hot as hell! 
Everyone had his album Welcome! So amazing music he made. Even I bought his music back then. 
After some quiet years he came from nowhere and like  "I was nearly homeless" and stuff. 

it might be depressing, but its also reality. if you thought someone could put out one record on rephlex a decade ago and then be set for life, you were living in fantasy world.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

it might be depressing, but its also reality. if you thought someone could put out one record on rephlex a decade ago and then be set for life, you were living in fantasy world.

You mean him (Dave Monolith) not me. 

27 minutes ago, cern said:

You mean him (Dave Monolith) not me. 

i guess i misunderstood the point of your post. my take on it was you were saying 'how could he almost be homeless? we all bought that record!'

2 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

i guess i misunderstood the point of your post. my take on it was you were saying 'how could he almost be homeless? we all bought that record!'

No my point was only that he was (still is) a highly respected musician. He was touring, releasing music and so on but then come back with terrible story like that. 

I have never being interested in music business so for me it has been much easier to secure my economy in other ways. 

1 hour ago, cern said:

No my point was only that he was (still is) a highly respected musician. He was touring, releasing music and so on but then come back with terrible story like that. 

I have never being interested in music business so for me it has been much easier to secure my economy in other ways. 

I feel like you're missing the point here. This thread is about "how to find time for making music" not "how to make lots of money from your music".

Like, if you don't have enough time to devote to music, you are probably not going to have any music to sell anyway, so we need to solve the more important problem first.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

My problem these days is that I do treat music production like I treat the gym.

Yeah I feel that this type of approach sucks some joy out of it and turns music into yet another chore you have to schedule in your weekly calendar. I am not sure though how else to approach this at the moment, because I am afraid that if I stop, it'll be harder to get started again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thawkins said:

I feel like you're missing the point here. This thread is about "how to find time for making music" not "how to make lots of money from your music".

Like, if you don't have enough time to devote to music, you are probably not going to have any music to sell anyway, so we need to solve the more important problem first.

Wow then the "problem" is way more simple.. I stand by my first post here. 

3 minutes ago, cern said:

Wow then the "problem" is way more simple.. I stand by my first post here. 

That everyone should become a rich tax evasion criminal in Thailand? You don't even sound happy living that life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, thawkins said:

That everyone should become a rich tax evasion criminal in Thailand? You don't even sound happy living that life.

Haha always poor idiots like you with no business mind have to open your mouth. 

Laughing at you, cunt ?

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, cern said:

Friend of a friend works in a pretty legendary recording studio, home to some huge swedish acts since the 90's and a few int'l bigshots have recorded there. They told me they've faced eviction numerous times because they waste a ton of their money on gear. Creatives, especially supposed geniuses sometimes have serious deficits in life management and finances. Chess legend Michail Tal couldn't even tie his own shoelaces. That 90's photo of Aphex living in a shit apartment with gear and junk stacked everywhere comes to mind. I wonder what Snares' wardrobe looks like. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of bipolar and ADHD at play here... 

Dave Monolith seemed to have the weirdest workflow, he couch surfed and recorded other peoples' synths onto USB drives for later compiling? Still kinda bummed about his disappearance but I would've hated to be ripped off by some disorganized wacko too, good music or not. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cern said:

Haha always poor idiots like you with no business mind have to open your mouth. 

Laughing at you, cunt ?

someone hit a nerve eh?

25 minutes ago, chim said:

Friend of a friend works in a pretty legendary recording studio, home to some huge swedish acts since the 90's and a few int'l bigshots have recorded there. They told me they've faced eviction numerous times because they waste a ton of their money on gear. Creatives, especially supposed geniuses sometimes have serious deficits in life management and finances. Chess legend Michail Tal couldn't even tie his own shoelaces. That 90's photo of Aphex living in a shit apartment with gear and junk stacked everywhere comes to mind. I wonder what Snares' wardrobe looks like. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of bipolar and ADHD at play here... 

Dave Monolith seemed to have the weirdest workflow, he couch surfed and recorded other peoples' synths onto USB drives for later compiling? Still kinda bummed about his disappearance but I would've hated to be ripped off by some disorganized wacko too, good music or not. 

wasn't it a one time thing dave sold and didn't manage to send out? would you want you to be called a disorganised whacko for a one time window people had into your personal life? I know you guys are in it for the meme but come on :shrug:

smol edit: I think he couchsurfed and recorded things on peoples synth because someone stole all his gear and hard disks.. or was that before that?

Edited by chronical

On 2/8/2022 at 8:53 AM, psn said:

Optimize and prioritize your setup so that you're making music 30 second after you feel the urge. 

This is one of the many reasons why i love having a gearless setup.  When i want to experiment with something, i just open up my laptop and everything is ready within seconds.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, thawkins said:

Yeah I feel that this type of approach sucks some joy out of it and turns music into yet another chore you have to schedule in your weekly calendar. I am not sure though how else to approach this at the moment, because I am afraid that if I stop, it'll be harder to get started again.

I just meant I spend money on it but then don't actually go.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, chim said:

After college I interviewed for a few positions at a welll known conservatory and one of them was the liaison for the students in their special program for music prodigies.  The woman who interviewed me warned me that most of the people in the program basically couldn't function in society other than playing music, and one of the examples that stuck with me was a student whose mother flew from California to the East Coast every weekend to do his laundry because he had never been able to learn how to operate a washing machine, 

Another position was personal secretary for one of their professors who was more or less the same as those students, and the job description was managing everything about his day to day life.

There was a piano prodigy in my school who had been playing at concert lefel since he was lke 6 and had been a guest conductor for the Boston Symphony Orchwstra by the time he was like 19.  He could function but he wasn't exactly well integrated with regular society, let's say.

I think it's a pretty common thing.

Imagine what happens to the ones who aren't able to make it a career.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, drillkicker said:

This is one of the many reasons why i love having a gearless setup.  When i want to experiment with something, i just open up my laptop and everything is ready within seconds.

I'm the opposite, the ritual of getting everything running, letting it warm up, tuning it, etc. helps me focus. I don't think I've ever finished a track on a laptop in my life, and the stuff I've done fully ITB on computers are usually kind of unfocused at best.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

I'm the opposite, the ritual of getting everything running, letting it warm up, tuning it, etc. helps me focus. I don't think I've ever finished a track on a laptop in my life, and the stuff I've done fully ITB on computers are usually kind of unfocused at best.

Ive pretty much given up on finishing anything.  I just continuously work on old and new recordings and let them mutate endlessly.  Theres always new life to be found in old recordings and patches, and with digital technology the old and new are all instantly accessible on a perfectly flat plane of immanence.  Every sound is created equal.

Thats the last pretentious comment from me in this thread, i'll let you guys enjoy it now

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 2