IGNORED

Health issues for the old school fans

marf

We must all be dealing with something. My sciatica is killing me, I have carpal tunnel that drives me nuts, Have an ulcer from taking Nsaids because of the sciatica. 

Im always tired. I forget shit. Like, scary forgetfulness. I can't get a normal night's sleep

Where my cane!!

(side note I went totally blind for a year after lasik (2018), nothing to do with age, but it was traumatic)

Edited by marf
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, marf said:

We must all be dealing with something. My sciatica is killing me, I have carpal tunnel that drives me nuts, Have an ulcer from taking Nsaids because of the sciatica. 

Im always tired. I forget shit. Like, scary forgetfulness. I can't get a normal night's sleep

Where my cane!!

(side note I went totally blind for a year after lasik (2018), nothing to do with age, but it was traumatic)

How old are you ?

14 minutes ago, marf said:

they said it would make us blind.. you must be prolific!

srsly though wtf. bodies are weird. if god made us in his image he/she must be all fucked up. 

sciatica 

yeah.. that sucks. i find that lot's of stretching and routine exercises help my back. if i sit for too long that makes things worse. but it's a hard thing to do sometimes because i feel like shit a lot and don't feel like doing anything. so it goes... 

it me. 

DKDb5tv.jpg

1 hour ago, d-a-m-o said:

How old are you ?

Im 46. Bought Aphex's albums as they were released. Saw 1 was before me

Edited by marf
  • Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

It was so painful. Id rather be blind than the pain that came with it. 

They gave me a refund, though. 3500. 

I borrowed my brother in laws guitar and got really good at it. It saved me. At least I thought I got good until I got on TikTok. 

• Like 3

srsly though wtf. bodies are weird. if god made us in his image he/she must be all fucked up. 

yeah.. that sucks. i find that lot's of stretching and routine exercises help my back. if i sit for too long that makes things worse. but it's a hard thing to do sometimes because i feel like shit a lot and don't feel like doing anything. so it goes... 

it me. 

DKDb5tv.jpg

Physical therapy does work. It's a pain. Id rather get surgery. I fell out of a hospital bed handcuffed during a manic episode from OD'ing on robitussin. 2 years ago. One day that changed my life forever. Kind of by accident. I had an actual cough. Lost track of how much I was taking. 

I was in the emergency room yesterday because I had pain in my stomach like someone punched me. Turns out it's an ulcer from taking Nsaids. 

• Farnsworth 1

damn dude.. that all sounds traumatic.  a refund for a year of blindness is the minimum you should've gotten. i think i'd have sued as it's the american way. 

glad you made it thru that. fuckn hell. 

• Like 2

Right knee aching since 2020. A pain that originates on the inner side of the knee and shoots up the thigh when its bad. MRI appear normal. Physical therapy has no effect. 

Idk lol, any suggestions? 

Edited by Danny O Flannagin
  • Like 1

damn dude.. that all sounds traumatic.  a refund for a year of blindness is the minimum you should've gotten. i think i'd have sued as it's the american way. 

glad you made it thru that. fuckn hell. 

I tried. The doctor even said you can sue me. Looked into it. A lawyer didn't want to take the case. You need money for that.

That's not all of it, though. After it healed I had dry eye for a year. Dry eye sounds like no big deal but let me tell you it is debilitating. I went through 100 vials of eye drops a day. A 20 dollar box of drops a day for a year. I was going to use my blood plasma for eye drops. I was really researching ways to alleviate it. Its called autologous serum eye drops. Never did it.

I bought a Moist heat eye compress on amazon and the dry eye healed in a couple months. I needed to get the meibum glands rejuvenated in my eyes. They secrete oil. Life changing. So that was another year.  

The doctor did Tiger Woods' lasik. My eyes are incredible now. I had scarring on the left cornea which lead to issues with clarity, but time healed it. So my sight is amazing now. I take it for granted. 

(Huge knock on wood)

I think it was shingles. I took herpes meds and that's what cleared it up. 

• Like 1

Just now, Danny O Flannagin said:

Right knee aching since 2020. A pain that originates on the inner side of the knee and shoots up the thigh when its bad. MRI appear normal. Physical therapy has no effect. 

Wish I had one. I did buy a knee sleeve about an hour ago that's supposed to have some gel cooling effect though. Got a knee brace too, but the upper velcro strap keeps scraping against my skin, which is bullshit.

I've had intermittent right knee issues as well, probably as far back as 2014. But I think it's more of an outer joint thing. Could have something to do with my left ankle sprain in Japan back in 2008, but I'm not entirely sure. Never bothered to see a doctor though. Don't wanna deal with any crippling medical bills (thanks US health care system)

Damn, I don't have anything that serious (knock on wood) but I did break my thumb playing soccer (goalkeeper) a few weeks ago and it's not healing quickly because I'm 40.

All in all, though, I can't complain.  Been pretty lucky health-wise so far.  My wife has rheumatoid arthritis which was pretty bad until she found a doctor who actually took the time to find the right balance of meds for her and now it's basically in remission, thankfully.

Edit:. My eyesight is awful (was -9.5, drifted down to -8 recently) and my eye doctor keeps pestering me to get lasik. I honestly don't mind contacts and just don't like the side effects and possible negative consequences.

Edited by randomsummer

Club sciatica in the house WOOT WOOT! Try these exercises. They help. Also, never sit in a regular chair again if you can avoid it, especially for work. I have a old Stokke kneeling/rocking chair that I literally take with me if I have work to do that isn’t at home. Using it in tandem with a standing desk is quite lush. Also, regular hot baths at the temperature that is the highest that your skin can handle (then laying out for a long sweat and stretching following meditation) is a lifesaver. 

I have rotator cuff issues that I’m currently in PT for and my goddamn arm is in pain and useless these days. I hate it. It sometimes radiates up my neck into my jaw, which is lovely. 

I also suffer from chronic insomnia and can’t sleep without medication. Been 5 years going now. I can’t remember dreams anymore. Extra hate that. Hate. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marf said:

Im 46. Bought Aphex's albums as they were released. Saw 1 was before me

So you were born in 75/76? SAW 85-92 was released in 1992, so definitely not before you...??

11 hours ago, Danny O Flannagin said:

It could be rheumatism - some autoimmune disease? Yes much more common in women, but men have a risk as well..

15 hours ago, marf said:

Where my cane!!

Fucking hell!

Yeah I thought I was in the wars but reading the OP posts I feel a whole lot better ?

I had a spinal disc bulge and sciatica on a pain level of 10/10 for 4 months (it didn’t help I was incorrectly diagnosed and given the wrong stretches for the first 6 weeks) once I saw a different physio (the legendary Emanuel) I started my road to recovery. After over 4 months of being housebound and no walking I then had to start the process of strengthening my back muscles because they had gone to pot. I could only walk for 10 minutes before having to rest for 10 minutes. 1st September that happened and I’m now almost back 100% fit, I put on a lot of weight and once that has all gone I should be good. Emanuel told me that some people don’t come back from such an injury. So I’m kind of proud of myself. It was a very tough time. Also mentally it took its toll, thinking if there was anyway out, and hours and hours of doubt and depression. At one point I was so bad if I had to leave the house it would of been on a wheelchair. Crazy time.

• Like 1

Full pelvic & leg reconstruction following an rta, no offence boys but I got so much titanium in there gone the full Steve Austin.

Orthopaedic reconstruction is nuts. If a bone shatters on impact, ie pelvis, femur, tib-fib, they’re replaceable. Problem is brackets & then long term chronic pain. Brutal. Get my knees “hoovered” every 24months, rugby career curtailed sadly.

I was in good nick until this shit. Quit booze. Eating healthily. 4miles a day with the dog. Then SMASH & pain beyond computation.

Use it or lose it.

Edited by cwmbrancity
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Wunderbar said:

like how blind total blackness? How did it go away? did it fade away or did you just wake up one day and it was gone?

Going blind for a year sounds insane.

Total Blackness, Light was excruciating. Like , night lamps would cause number 9 pain. I had to wear swimming goggles to sleep so I wouldn't knock my eyes. The pain was the problem. Not the eyes. Your eyes are the most sensitive part of the body. Pain wise. It's UNREAL

I got just a little sight in my lower left eye after about 5 months. So I could look at my iPad (lowest light setting) to watch guitar training videos. The guitar saved me.

The herpes medicine cleared it up in 2 weeks. Total darkness to wonky sight due to scaring, but sight nonetheless. 

15 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Also, regular hot baths at the temperature that is the highest that your skin can handle (then laying out for a long sweat and stretching following meditation) is a lifesaver. 

I also suffer from chronic insomnia and can’t sleep without medication. Been 5 years going now. I can’t remember dreams anymore. Extra hate that. Hate. 

What do you take for sleep. Ambient doesn't work on me. 

Yes, God yes, hot baths. I miss them. My water heater doesn't get hot enough. I used to have a hot ass water heater, It was so lush. Therapy to the max. 

I had well water. It would get brown after a rain storm. I didn't give a fuck. I got in. I needed my baths. My new place is nice but the water issue. Not good.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chenGOD said:

So you were born in 75/76? SAW 85-92 was released in 1992, so definitely not before you...??

True, but im not that cool. I discovered aphex at university. 

1975, July 30. I dont look my age. I dont think but who knows

Edited by marf

15 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Also, regular hot baths at the temperature that is the highest that your skin can handle (then laying out for a long sweat and stretching following meditation) is a lifesaver. 

I used to get the bath, hot. Then acclimate. Drain; a bit hotter, then hotter, then.. even hotter... to the point I could barely get out of the tub. Id have to crawl out. Then sit down with an iced cold seltzer water. Oh man , pure bliss.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ambermonke said:

Don't wanna deal with any crippling medical bills (thanks US health care system)

Im very lucky to have Medicaid. Very lucky. They give you gift cards for going to the doctor. 

this thread is heading towards that meme w/all the dudes w/swords standing in a circle united in pain and health problems.  

chronic stuff sucks, serious stuff sucks. there's traumatic things that take time to deal w/and get thru. i won't say get over because i don't think it happens that way. i think we adapt and learn to live w/whatever we can and adjust our behavior accordingly but serious things/chronic things change a person in many ways.. some we're not aware of until later. 

• Like 4