IGNORED

SDEM - VORTICES

https://bleep.com/release/389088-sdem-vortices

2xLP, CD, Cassette - 07.07.23

• Cover & Layout by modernist graffiti master SODA.
  • Selection & Sequencing by MDX.
  • Guest sounds on B2 from SheOne.

Track List

1. A1 Geiwis – 1.30
  2. A2 Skrunge – 3.38
  3. A3 NSEM Rev – 6.00
  4. B1 30Mag – 4.15
  5. B2 Quadro Diagrammatics ft S1 – 4.20
  6. B3 SKEF – 3.27
  7. C1 RZ – 11.28 Side
  8. D1 Sile – 6.40
  9. D2 2 vs 2 – 4.50

cover.jpg

• Like 8
  • Farnsworth 1

Instabought. Super hyped for this one !

edit : also, VHS head, now this, Skam is on fire this year, Hope a Mantle of Gets LP is in the pipeline !

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

stoked to have more tracks for my epic "ALL THE SDEM" playlist in my ipod. the first track on this new one is heady af. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3

Glad Skam have been marginally more active this year.. 2 whole LPs!

Never heard of the artist before but was highly impressed on first listen. Agree with gnarlybog - big Ae influence but more like late 90's Ae (with the hip hop vibes and less of the abstract hellscape textures they have going on now) but with a modern sheen/production. Great stuff.

Edited by Key

I find his stuff darker than AE but of course the influence is strong ! Just finished my first listen of the LP and Auxien is right , this one goes straight to the end of the year list !

After a serious analytical listen  I have to retract my previous statement a bit. At times the overt autechre worship feels like a bit of a buzzkill, even though i love ae. The last track feels like the standout where some unique personality shines through. I hope that's not too harsh. it's all extremely well crafted.

I admit it did make me daydream a bit as to what kind of curveballs autechre are going to throw in the future, now that a few acts are starting to infringe on their later-era style.... They always feel ahead of the curve.

I wouldn't even call it 'influence'

SDEM is an OG, he goes way back with ae, part of the same scene when they were all unknowns. Along with SND and Haswell and Chris Douglas etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hello spiral said:

I wouldn't even call it 'influence'

SDEM is an OG, he goes way back with ae, part of the same scene when they were all unknowns. Along with SND and Haswell and Chris Douglas etc.

yeah. he has live sets floating around that are dope af. some dj mixes too. 

at times he has like a hip hop + scorn vibe or something...  i think he has a sound that fits in a lot of places. wide ranging style of tracks and experiments. the ZNS release which is apparently a collection of tracks spanning a long time.. was put together by someone who gathered them all.. i forget the story.. and then made one release out of them.  

i think live he uses an octatrack and a nord or something.. or maybe just the octa.. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3