IGNORED

What would you do if you won the lottery?

J3FF3R00

On 8/7/2023 at 4:20 AM, zero said:

create an LLC to hide behind is the 1st thing anyone should reasonably do. do not announce you won. if other people you're friends with know you won the lottery, you're fucked. other people are the reason winning the lottery would ruin the experience. those fuckers come out and will wanna grab on to any $ they can get. people are predictable. greedy. sadly this is how it is. you win the lottery, and your life is fucked hahaha 

This is the correct and boring answer. Just shove most of it into a couple broad indices and keep living and working like normal. 

For the rest I'd probably build a studio, start a company around that studio to run on the side, and travel like crazy for a year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chim said:

This is the correct and boring answer.

It can't be both correct AND boring

1 hour ago, chim said:

keep living and working like normal 

hell fucking no

1 minute ago, hoggy said:

hell fucking no

Hey hoggy, it's me, your long lost twentieth cousin. I heard you quit your job and are living like a king, what's up, wanna reconnect? Also can you help me out with a small loan, I got laid off during Covid and I got a real idiot for a landlord. Promise I'm good for it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chim said:

Hey hoggy, it's me, your long lost twentieth cousin. I heard you quit your job and are living like a king, what's up, wanna reconnect? Also can you help me out with a small loan, I got laid off during Covid and I got a real idiot for a landlord. Promise I'm good for it. 

Hi long lost twentieth cousin, no

1 hour ago, chim said:

Watch the ride, prik face 

Is that like saying "watch the car, you cunt"? Or are you just insulting me? I've heard that phrase on here before but I dunno where it comes from

If in the hypothetical scenario I'm meant to be saying that to my long lost cousin.. I don't like cars and I don't drive and I wouldn't have chauffeur, so it doesn't make sense

Edited by hoggy
clarity

4 hours ago, hoggy said:

Is that like saying "watch the car, you cunt"? Or are you just insulting me? I've heard that phrase on here before but I dunno where it comes from

If in the hypothetical scenario I'm meant to be saying that to my long lost cousin.. I don't like cars and I don't drive and I wouldn't have chauffeur, so it doesn't make sense

It's just a silly jargon that used to be thrown around here. My point was some lottery winners have gotten in serious altercations from denying relatives and acquaintances, up to and including being murdered. People can be horrible. Maybe quit your day job if that's your thing, but be discreet about it and find a good cover story. People with assets tied up in stocks and real estate tend to not get bothered as much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chim said:

It's just a silly jargon that used to be thrown around here. My point was some lottery winners have gotten in serious altercations from denying relatives and acquaintances, up to and including being murdered. People can be horrible. Maybe quit your day job if that's your thing, but be discreet about it and find a good cover story. People with assets tied up in stocks and real estate tend to not get bothered as much. 

To the best of my knowledge here in Canuckia you need to be published (with your picture) in the paper in order to collect your winnings (for $1M+ lottos). Low key doesn’t seem possible.

But I’d dump it in a trust or something, invest and live off the cash. Prob keep working as a hobby. Travel lots. Live in a nice cabin in the woods. Buy big nice stereo. Make sure my family never has to work again if possible. 

• Like 1

‘if i won the lottery i’d probably invest wisely, keep working a 9-5 to avoid potential problems, and maybe travel’ - a guy who is definitely fun at parties

:trollface:

jk but really tho like come on y’all. buy a small country and test out communism in ideal circumstances or something wild. ain’t none of y’all gonna win anyway it’s just a thought experiment

On 8/7/2023 at 4:20 AM, zero said:

if other people you're friends with know you won the lottery, you're fucked. other people are the reason winning the lottery would ruin the experience. those fuckers come out and will wanna grab on to any $ they can get. people are predictable. greedy. sadly this is how it is. you win the lottery, and your life is fucked hahaha 

i heard about that, but i always thought who tf has the nerve to just ask for money like that you know... i mean i know there's lots of different kinds of people, shameless and toxic etc. i can't imagine this happening in my social circle. i guess one can't really know people until the opportunity arises... i can imagine, though, one 'friend' of mine trying to coerce me into giving money away in a 'joking' manner, you know the one who is trying to get something out of you by 'joking around'.... heh

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

To the best of my knowledge here in Canuckia you need to be published (with your picture) in the paper in order to collect your winnings (for $1M+ lottos). Low key doesn’t seem possible.

Can't you hire a lawyer or representative to collect it for you? Pretty sure I've seen that happen on occasion. 

12 minutes ago, chim said:

Can't you hire a lawyer or representative to collect it for you? Pretty sure I've seen that happen on occasion. 

in some cases you can wear a mask to protect your identity

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lottery-winner-in-jamaica-claims-prize-in-scream-mask-to-hide-identity/

gvhghc3til.jpg?v=2d4fe0207a5a36b9cd65a66

• Like 1
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

1 hour ago, cichlisuite said:

i heard about that, but i always thought who tf has the nerve to just ask for money like that you know... i mean i know there's lots of different kinds of people, shameless and toxic etc. i can't imagine this happening in my social circle. i guess one can't really know people until the opportunity arises... i can imagine, though, one 'friend' of mine trying to coerce me into giving money away in a 'joking' manner, you know the one who is trying to get something out of you by 'joking around'.... heh

your social circle I'm guessing is probably made of people of closely related socioeconomic status. now let's say all of a sudden one of the members in the group wins big in the lotto, and the others know about it. this person moves out of that socioeconomic status level to the top of the chain. the whole group dynamic is going to change, whether you like it or not. the winner may experience some guilt about this, and will want to share money with the others. then this spreads, and next thing you know, you're dealing with people you barely know trying to bug you for a loan, won't leave you alone, and your dream life turns into a nightmare...this is why if you win, then you don't say shit about it to anyone! hire a lawyer, stay anonymous, and keep on with your life. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hoggy said:

Stay alive and “Watch the ride” @ 8:05

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

Ok, you're all making good points... I dunno I think most of my friends and family could cope with the disparity, most of them have way more money than me or are the sort of people who would never ask, I'm 99% sure, even if I was mega rich. Acquaintances and strangers aren't getting anything unless I decide it's a worthy cause and seek them out of my own volition, but I wouldn't entertain begging from strangers, I'm sorry. But yeah I wouldn't tell everyone how much I have. I definitely see the benefit in that.

Damn, imagining having money gets more and more depressing

16 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

“Watch the ride” @ 8:05

I still don't get it, it's like a threat on your life based on a jungle MC throwaway line..? I guess in jokes are hard to explain, at least without spoiling the fun

Edit in response to the edit: Ohhh stay alive and watch the ride makes more sense... I think haha

Edited by hoggy

@hoggy

Definitely NOT a threat on anyone’s life. 
I have been here a long time and heard “watch the ride prik face” many times and have honestly not really understood what it really means. 
All I know is that I love old school jungle about as much as I love aphex twin (if not more) and “watch the ride” happens to be one of the most common phrases used by the OG jungle MCs when the beats are tasty and I only really associate it with that kind of thing. 
Sorry to be confusing ❤️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Berk said:

the rush, the adaptation and the general backwardness of the act

this one I know, but not where it came from.. sounds like something someone would say pretentiously about listening to noise music

41 minutes ago, hoggy said:

this one I know, but not where it came from.. sounds like something someone would say pretentiously about listening to noise music

2ddy1a.jpg.925b299059fde7ab931a83e78adf47b0.jpg

Some new sign-up with considerable mental health issues posted weird self-harm photos. When asked why he did it, that's what he said. Laughs were had all around. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chim said:

Some new sign-up with considerable mental health issues posted weird self-harm photos. When asked why he did it, that's what he said. Laughs were had all around. 

wow, poor guy, I hope he got some help

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luke viia said:

lol-1.jpg.71731f66f2d8eabbb1e4ee96a388d05a.jpg

Seems quite performative, but still probably not very mentally well (I realise the hedgehog is someone taking the piss)